Should I buy an Ipod?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things I would change about the iPod:

- Add a dedicated volume control. Using the clickwheel for so many functions might be considered elegant design, but it sucks when you want to change the volume while buried deep in a menu.

- Dedicated "next" and "previous" buttons instead of the clickwheel. Again, too many functions on a single control hampers usability.

- Add some kind of rapid "paging" feature to the clickwheel. It takes too many spins to get through a multi-thousand-song listing.

- I know it's too late for this one, but I wish Apple had used industry-standard connectors for USB, power, and especially audio line-out instead of that blasted proprietary "dock" connector.

- Give me a quick way to jump from the "Now Playing" view to a track listing that has the current track selected within the current playlist. Why? Often I'll be listening to a track in "shuffle" mode, but decide that I really want to hear the next track on the album. (Because nothing follows "I'm The Man Who Loves You" better than "Pot Kettle Black.") As it stands now, I have to click up through the menus and down through the listings to locate the track I want. If I could click once and see the tracks before and after the current one playing, I could jump right to it.

- Put the EQ and Shuffle items higher up in the menu hierarchy instead of buried inside "Settings".

You know what? My 6-year-old Creative Nomad Jukebox "C" had all of these features and more. It also cost less than the iPod. The only improvements the iPod made over the Nomad were smaller form factor, and the ability to play the AAC codec. IMO, most of the people who love the iPod have just never used a better player.

Edited by redshift
still haven't found a cassette adapter that goes from the USB port to the cassette (rather than headset jack). Anyone have a link to one of these?

--thanks

I use this. The cassette adapter plugs into the body.

If you're on Mac, go to the apple menu and select "Check for updates."

If not on a Mac, you can download the new iTunes here:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

okay, so if i get itunes v. 7 i will have gapless play on my ipod? anyone? just seems too simple.

I thought that the best you could do was set the gap to 0. I was under the impression that you still get a hiccup of silence that was really only evident when listening to live stuff where you'd hear a tiny half-second break in the clapping.

Is this wrong? Can you do a true DAO with iTunes 6?

it always did, there's been a setting in iTunes to change the gap preferences since at least iTunes 4

There has always been a slight gap between tracks, though, even with the setting at "0."

This, I think, is more for iPod playback, though. Previously, iPods couldn't play tracks without a small gap between each one.

As for gapless playback in iTunes, who doesn't use Crossfade Playback? My only gripe about the iPod is that you can't crossfade tracks.

I thought that the best you could do was set the gap to 0. I was under the impression that you still get a hiccup of silence that was really only evident when listening to live stuff where you'd hear a tiny half-second break in the clapping.

Is this wrong? Can you do a true DAO with iTunes 6?

not sure, i've never had much of a desire to burn using iTunes, but i recall the mixes i've made using it not having the gap when i set it to 0?

as for crossfading, not a fan of it myself, but then again i listen to albums not shuffle

I don't like to use crossfade on albums, but it kicks ass on shuffle.

Update on gapless playback - it doesn't seem to eliminate gaps on the iPod. I was playing a live album and the tracks still played with gaps in them. So, I don't know...

you have to manually change the tracks to gapless. iTunes 7 tries to determine it automatically when you install it (it takes FOREVER to go through all your files), but you can manually gapless on all your files, which is much faster

and the gaps will still be there if you fast forward to the end, you have to let it play all the way through

Well, it did say that it was determining gapless playback when I installed it. It just doesn't seem to have worked, which is weird. How do you do it manually?

I also need to update my iPod, which might be related.

Some things I would change about the iPod:

- Add a dedicated volume control. Using the clickwheel for so many functions might be considered elegant design, but it sucks when you want to change the volume while buried deep in a menu.

- Dedicated "next" and "previous" buttons instead of the clickwheel. Again, too many functions on a single control hampers usability.

- Add some kind of rapid "paging" feature to the clickwheel. It takes too many spins to get through a multi-thousand-song listing.

- I know it's too late for this one, but I wish Apple had used industry-standard connectors for USB, power, and especially audio line-out instead of that blasted proprietary "dock" connector.

- Give me a quick way to jump from the "Now Playing" view to a track listing that has the current track selected within the current playlist. Why? Often I'll be listening to a track in "shuffle" mode, but decide that I really want to hear the next track on the album. (Because nothing follows "I'm The Man Who Loves You" better than "Pot Kettle Black.") As it stands now, I have to click up through the menus and down through the listings to locate the track I want. If I could click once and see the tracks before and after the current one playing, I could jump right to it.

- Put the EQ and Shuffle items higher up in the menu hierarchy instead of buried inside "Settings".

You know what? My 6-year-old Creative Nomad Jukebox "C" had all of these features and more. It also cost less than the iPod. The only improvements the iPod made over the Nomad were smaller form factor, and the ability to play the AAC codec. IMO, most of the people who love the iPod have just never used a better player.

I am with you in this fight!