Should I buy an Ipod?

what do you think. i am thinking about it in order to put all my burned stuff on there and still keep cds of the the really good stuff. anybody really anti ipod? i just like the experience of listening to a cd and holding it ect. i wonder if they are doomed.

c

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ipods are awesome, after owning one you will be simply unable to live without it. I have a huge music collection, which includes hundreds of live concerts and all types of stuff, and I still have a few gigs left on my 60 gig. I had a stereo put in my car that has an input jack, so I just plug it in and I can use it on the road. I used to have two three inch three ring binders, so lets just say that the ipod is easier. It is great because sometimes you might think, today I am in a miles davis mood, but when you get in the car you decide, nope its black sabbath. Makes your choice limitless.

Now for the bad stuff. Ive broken three of them. I take care of it, but I think that I just use the things so much that they break on me. If you buy one at best buy, they sell a 2 year insurance on the ones that cost 299 or less for 50 bucks, and a 3 year insurance on the 400 dollar ones for 70 dollars. The first ipod i had was a regular 20 gig black and white one. when it broke in 2005, I walked in to the store and got a 20 gig photo ipod. That one broke in july, so I walked in and was going to get the 30 gig video one, but for 100 bucks, i could get the 60, so i got the sixty. My service plan ran out with this one, so i bought the seventy dollar one. This ipod broke about a week ago, I took it in, and this time they had to send it off to get it fixed, but ultimately I will have another new ipod in two weeks.

So I would say definately buy an ipod, but you also MUST buy and extended service plan.

hope this helps some!

The world of digital music players does not begin and end with the iPod. I suggest looking around a bit before committing to something. You may still decide to go with the iPod, but don't ignore other options on the way to that decision.

I dont know if ipod is being used here like scotch tape and kleenex to just mean any old mp3 player, or if you mean an ipod specifically. If its the latter, I have never owned an ipod, but have been very happy with the 30 GB Creative Labs product I bought 2-3 yrs ago. Its way cheaper than the ipod of the same size. The downside would be that its not as small or cool looking as the ipod. But the difference in price was so pronounced (100 bucks I think) that I just couldnt justify going with the ipod. So, shop around... there are plenty of good mp3 players out there that arent made by apple. ALso beware that everyone with an ipod will feel the need to make fun of you for not having an ipod.

If you mean in general, do you need to accept the mp3 player revolution? Yes, you need to just get over it. You are doomed. And once you surrender, you will realize how amazing it is.

[will feel the need to make fun of you for not having an ipod.

If you mean in general, do you need to accept the mp3 player revolution? Yes, you need to just get over it. You are doomed. And once you surrender, you will realize how amazing it is.

thanks for the comments. i actually had an iriver for a day and took it back. had an issue with song names and artist ect synching. also, really wanted album artwork. i am probably sold on the ipod. the other issue is sound. i have read all these articles and blogs about mp3 vs. aac and bitrate ect. i have used others' ipods and i really can't tell the difference, but if i think about it, i get so anxious about not having the best sound, i can't enjoy the music. you know, i am just listening thinking, "is the bass too low now that i am listening to an mp3 vs. cd? anyone else deal with this?

c

thanks for the comments. i actually had an iriver for a day and took it back. had an issue with song names and artist ect synching. also, really wanted album artwork. i am probably sold on the ipod. the other issue is sound. i have read all these articles and blogs about mp3 vs. aac and bitrate ect. i have used others' ipods and i really can't tell the difference, but if i think about it, i get so anxious about not having the best sound, i can't enjoy the music. you know, i am just listening thinking, "is the bass too low now that i am listening to an mp3 vs. cd? anyone else deal with this?

c

Buddy, it's "etc."

I've been very happy with my iPod, and don't notice the loss of the highs and lows. I mean, sure, if you're listening in your house, definitely throw in the CD and enjoy the full range of sound (better yet, of course, the LP, analog, blah blah blah), but do you really worry about getting that last drop of bass when you're listening in your car or on a plane? How much fidelity are you actually going to have with all the other ambient noise when you're traveling? Go with the iPod and save yourself having to carry around 30 CDs.

i have read all these articles and blogs about mp3 vs. aac and bitrate ect. i have used others' ipods and i really can't tell the difference, but if i think about it, i get so anxious about not having the best sound, i can't enjoy the music. you know, i am just listening thinking, "is the bass too low now that i am listening to an mp3 vs. cd? anyone else deal with this?

This is one of the reasons I rip to .OGG instead of .MP3. However, doing so has severely limited my choices in digital music players. ;)

That said, I have no problem with 256 kbps (or higher) MP3s. At bitrates like that, if something sounds bad, it's probably due to a shitty digital transfer during the manufacturing of the CD itself. This is especially prevalent with older material that hasn't been subject to a recent, gussied-up remaster.

I'm with caliber. I dont need my mp3 player to sound pristine because I am usually listening to it on the train, at the gym or somewhere else that's noisy. If I am at home, I listen to the CD/LP through my stereo. I suppose, as with everything, what you need will depend on what you need.

Word on the street is that this winter there is going to be a new ipod where the entire front is a video screen and the menu buttons pop up on the screen.

if the video function is important to you, you may want to wait until Christmas time.

i've had my 3rd generation 40 GB ipod for 3 years now. it's just starting to give me issues (based on the amount i've used it, i'm assuming normal wear and tear).

i love my ipod - i can only speak on their behalf. i think you would be very happy if you got one.

A good friend sent me one as a present last year, and I have found it to be a wholly positive experience.

Unfortunately I'm at the point where my content has outgrown the space on my ipod (20G model), so I'm looking to upgrade in that area. I've not had (knock on wood) a single technical issue with the thing. I'd say the only downside for me has been car usage. I know others whose newer cars are equipped with a simple plug-in, but for me I'm resigned to the FM contraption, which frankly sounds like ass. I'm just not willing to spend more than the cost of the ipod itself to install a direct link to my stereo.

I think the biggest positive for me (and this would apply to any mp3 player), is how much more of a variety of music I listen to (or did, before I became obsessed with downloading wilco/tweedy live torrents) as a result of having it all in one place. With all the shuffling and playlist options, you find yourself listening to songs or whole albums that you might have just skipped over or that were gathering dust on the shelf.

also, Bob Dylan endorses it so you know it's got to good.

:D

i have a tape deck in my car so it sounds fine.

Mix tapes will always be better than mix CDs. I have my tape deck from my home stereo in my closet because I cant bear to throw it away. So many hours spent making mix tapes. So many hours.

i was thinking of getting one too, because i get overtime on labor day and figured i have saved enough, so why not get something really great...

my sister had a mini first, but i broke, best buy gave her a new one, then that one broke, and she got a 30gig video for $100. the only problem is that she's gone and lost it. and we could never figure out how exactly to get video on it. it would be neat to put the videos i have taken with my digital camera on my ipod.

i thought i might spring for the 60gig just because my music collection is so massive. i dunno yet though. how long do they usually last? because if i am gonna pay $400 for something i want it to last me at least 10 years.

i have a tape deck in my car so it sounds fine.

Yeah, using a cassette adapter is much better than one of those FM transmitters. Those things blow serious chunks.

My next car will hopefully have some kind of input jack that I can plug my non-iPod player into. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to upgrade the stereo.

Yeah, using a cassette adapter is much better than one of those FM transmitters. Those things blow serious chunks.

My next car will hopefully have some kind of input jack that I can plug my non-iPod player into. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to upgrade the stereo.

What kind of adapter do you use? If the quality surpasses the FM gadgets, I will be happy to run over mine and replace it with a tape adapter...

i think it's a belkin, plugs directly into the usb connection of the iPod. do NOT buy the one where it plugs into the headphone jack. i think mine cost about $25.

this one appears to have the headphone jack:

belkin

anyone know of one that connects to the usb?

What kind of adapter do you use? If the quality surpasses the FM gadgets, I will be happy to run over mine and replace it with a tape adapter...

It's one that came with an old Philips portable CD player I bought over a decade ago. You can probably buy more or less the same thing at Radio Shack.

i think it's a belkin, plugs directly into the usb connection of the iPod. do NOT buy the one where it plugs into the headphone jack. i think mine cost about $25.

Interesting. Mine plugs into the headphone jack of my player (non-iPod), and it sounds great. If there's a way to do with from the USB port, I suppose that might be better, though I really wouldn't know.