Should I buy an Ipod?

I'll put my stamp of approval on the iPod. I had 40gb model and the damn thing broke 3 times. I have since purchased a nano that I am super happy with. Granted it only holds 10% that the other one does, but I bet I push the skip button 1000% less.

edit: I babied the 40gb too. Still, iPods are great.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned a 2nd hand 1st Gen, a Mini and now the 60 GB, which knock on wood, I have had no issues with. I love it, have music, photos and video on it. It really beats lugging a Discman around and getting CDs all scratched up. I will also once again sing the praises of indie record companies letting you download the MP3s for free from them once you buy an album on vinyl.

the sound coming from the headphone jack, from what i know, is a lot less than what you'll get from the other connection. i've noticed a difference. when it's plugged into the headphone jack, you have to mess w/ the volume on the iPod. through the other connection it's just like a tape or radio.

weird, i cannot find that online at all. i also used a car charger where you plugged in the cassette connection into the charger then there was a connection from the charger to the iPod's usb.

i bought my ipod at the apple store because teachers get a 10% discount on hardware (and i didn't push the issue, but i could have gotten it tax free by saying i'd use it in my classroom, which i do, but that seemed greasy).

i had a 20gb b&w that i had to send back because it kept pausing. they sent me a remanufactured replacement and it was doing the same thing. turns out the headphones had a short in them. sucks, because the remanufactured one has a bit of a fog in the LCD. i should really send it back.

i bought a laptop and got a free nano (after rebate). i didn't even want it, but it was free. i'm thinking my little sister is getting a fucking awesome xmas present this year.

i've had my ipod a year and a half and it completely broke a few months ago. i didnt even use it all that much and certainly didn't abuse it. one day it just started showing "crash" symptoms- going slow, not responding, etc and then i turned it on and it had a sad mac face. kris restored it to factory settings and then it happened again a week later. then i tried restoring it again, and it wouldnt even restore. now it wont even show the sad mac even though its fully charged.

i have yet to take it to apple, i am hoping they will see its a lost cause and replace it with a shiny new video one :)

when it DOES work, i love it.

My HP iPod had problems, mostly because my mom knocked it off a steel cabinet when it was in my speakers. It would freeze, be unhappy MacApple, etc., off and on. It was aggravating.

So I got a 30G video iPod, and no problems, except that sometimes it refuses to turn off? But a quick reset deals with that when it REALLY won't turn off, which has only happened twice. I would suggest hooking it up to the compy every week or two just to "fix" any slight problems the iPod program might have due to usual use (e.g. the "won't turn off" problem).

Note: Get a nice case. You won't regret it. Really.

You probably won't regret getting an iPod, either.

I have a shuffle for going to the gym and sitting on the aeroplanes and things like that. I like it very much.

i've had a 20 gig 4g for close to two years, and I recently got a Nano for free. I have over 140 gigs of music on an external hard drive, and to be honest, I like the Nano better because of the size. I travel every week, and it is so easy to load what I want to hear that week, and it usually takes around 30-45 minutes to choose and upload 4 gigs worth of music. 4 gigs of music offers enough variety for me every week.

If you exercise, the nano is just so much more convenient.....especially if you run. regardless, make sure you purchase the applecare or extended warranty plan if you go with a video ipod.

I have had my iPod for 2 years, it's a 20GB black and white screen......it froze up once, and I thought I was going to have to send it in. But it made a miraculous recovery and hasn't given me any jib since......knock on wood. I really do love it.

Yeah, using a cassette adapter is much better than one of those FM transmitters. Those things blow serious chunks.

My next car will hopefully have some kind of input jack that I can plug my non-iPod player into. If it doesn't, I guess I'll have to upgrade the stereo.

I got the whole stereo in my car replaced (Sony, w/ 1/8 input jack) for about $60. Not a bad deal at all. Just check out Circuit City.

I got the whole stereo in my car replaced (Sony, w/ 1/8 input jack) for about $60. Not a bad deal at all. Just check out Circuit City.

I would do that, but it's an old car that I'm not likely to drive for more than another year (hopefully less), and replacing the stereo would involve the installation of some kind of additional bracket that would push the cost up over $200 or more. That's what Circuit City told me five years ago when I bought the car.

The next car will definitely have that input jack. :thumbup

My car has the radio adapter that charges your ipod and sends it through fm. My dad's has the 1/8th jack. And, to be perfectly honest, aside from the 4% of the time there's interference (which is usually just a teeny bit of static), the charging feature more than makes up for the slight loss in audio quality. I thought it would be a big issue, but when comparing the two I really don't think the direct in to the stereo sounds much better at all, and I am normally super picky.

I would do that, but it's an old car that I'm not likely to drive for more than another year (hopefully less), and replacing the stereo would involve the installation of some kind of additional bracket that would push the cost up over $200 or more. That's what Circuit City told me five years ago when I bought the car.

The next car will definitely have that input jack. :thumbup

Dang. Sounds like a $260 stereo might double the value of your car. :punch :lol

My car has the radio adapter that charges your ipod and sends it through fm. My dad's has the 1/8th jack. And, to be perfectly honest, aside from the 4% of the time there's interference (which is usually just a teeny bit of static), the charging feature more than makes up for the slight loss in audio quality. I thought it would be a big issue, but when comparing the two I really don't think the direct in to the stereo sounds much better at all, and I am normally super picky.

You've had better luck with your FM transmitter than I have, then. I can't get mine to provide a strong enough signal, no matter what frequency it's tuned to. It didn't take me long to abandon it in favor of the cassette adapter.

Dang. Sounds like a $260 stereo might double the value of your car. :punch :lol

It probably would. That car has put in five meritorious years of service (as of next week, actually) since I bought it used, but it's really not worth much of anything at this point.

Is there any particular advantage of the USB over the headphone jack? Eitherway you are still running on battery power. The Transpod I have works pretty well and doesn't drain the battery and in fact keeps the battery charged.

LouieB

Am I total geek for actually yelling with glee over this?

First up, iPod. Looks like everyone was hoping for a video iPod (as distinct from an iPod with video -- someone, please explain the difference?), but Apple had some hardware tweaks in mind instead. Look for a 60% brighter screen, longer battery life (from 4.5 up to 6.5 hours on the big model), and price cuts (30GB for $249). This generation's iPod also comes closer to our dream of triple digit memory with an 80GB model, clocking in at $349. Finally, there's a new text-based search feature (so those click-wheel thumb sprains will finally heal themselves), gapless playback (for smooth segues in your favorite concept albums), and games for purchase (so you can get back to spraining those thumbs).

Yes, and I don't care.