Living With War

I really like this CD; it's simple, but it's a grower. Absolutely, totally listenable. Moreso than Modern Times, I think. It might even make my top 10 or 20 (depending on whether I can list 20 newly-released CDs that I heard this year).

At first it seems kind of haphazard and under-realized. But now that I listen to it more, I know that urgency and grief are the most important factors here. And the lyrics are pretty good, even if they're simple. Even the "hippie highway" lyric doesn't bother me much- because it's about something larger.

I was thinking a while back about how dull Mirrorball is. I like Broken Arrow a little more (Big Time is a great song). But I really appreciate Living With War. I suppose it's the kind of CD that only certain people like, but every time I hear it, I stop dithering about right and wrong. And I'm not too worried about the people who take offense to it.

The CSN&Y tour stopped in Hershey recently and the writeup in the newspaper noted that attendees have been occasionally seen to angrily leaving. How could anyone go to this tour and not know what to expect? Neil just released a blistering anti-war CD. :dontgetit

Anyway, I'm not trying to get into an argument about war here. I don't think that there is really any point in debate about that. More often, I'm starting to realize my true feelings, and I don't think I really have the ability to honestly debate it anymore. I'm sick of hearing people like Rick Santorum say "But we're in a war now, so that's why the budget is so high." It's basically just a cliched, tired excuse nowadays; even supporters hesitate to bring it up because they can't justify the fiscal malfunction.

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts about the CD, now that it's been out for a little while.

:cheers

And as we approach the 5 year anniversary of the attacks in Pennsylvania, Washington, and New York, remember to thank your loved ones for being here, tell them that how you feel, be kind to yourself, and mourn for those who were lost. The September 11, 2001 death toll is still rising.

a couple months called, wants it's post back ;)

as much as i like living with war, it's not an album i see myself ever listening to much. it's cool neil did it but it's an album that feels stuck in it's time. modern times however has a timeless sound to it.

I can agree with you to an extent- I don't think it has exactly "a timeless quality." Even if his points about war will always be relevant, the more specific references probably won't matter as much when the war is over.

That being said, it's all perfectly relevant now. The war hasn't stopped yet, even if the buzz about this album did a few months ago. And we'll hit 3,000 in November. That's basically equivalent to all of the fathers in my town.

It's an album that needed to be made, but I think they did a horrible job mixing it and basically shot themselves in the foot. Someone went way overboard on the snare drum while minimizing the guitar and it is kind of grating to my ears. Kind of sucks since Neil is one of my all time favorite musicians. If they'd done a little better job in terms of making an album people would want to listen to over and over for years, it wouldn't have fallen off the radar so quickly. Once the CSNY tour ends, you'll probably never hear anything else about the album.

It's Neil's best since Silver & Gold, certainly, but I don't know how it's holding up for me a few months down the line.

On first listen, I was nearly ready to call it the greatest thing the man has ever done, but its arresting immediacy hasn't translated into staying power for me and my stereo. It's a good album, but it's already starting to feel dated. Fortunately, the themes will last longer than any presidential administration.

I still like, not love, the album. But I suspect that it won't date well.

Sidebar: I'm probably in the (vast) minority, but I absolutely loathe that canned-sincerity version of "America the Beautiful." It gives me the willies.

LWW absolutely nails it for me. NY has that kind of an effect on me. Can't wait to see the show tomorrow night...

You comin' to the Creek? Excellent!! See ya there (I'll be the dude w/ a ponytail & tye-dye on :punch )

God bless Neil Young. I was at a party last weekend (our annual Jerry G. memorial) and we listened to LWW and Prarie Wind. Both classics produced in 1 year. Maybe it was the beautiful setting or old friends around the fire but to me the words timeless and essential came up. Nice to have a songwriter of this magnitude working today. :pirate

I wasn't all that impressed with the album, but the live versions of several of the songs featuring CSN harmonies were a different story. :thumbup

The show I caught last night was fantastic,& the LWW stuff was gripping.Really moved me.

Just getting to see NY again finaally & rockin'his ass off made it a wonderful evening

Last nites show really was one of the best concerts I have seen. All of the Living With War songs were awesome, and to finish the show a killer Rock'n in the Free World, :rock it scorched my ears but I loved it. Neil is one of my sons favorites also and he was at the show with me it made it even better that he was there enjoying it. We also took our daughter who just turned 21 on thursday and she had a great time, I love it that my kids appreciate the music we listen to, I can't say the same for some of the crap they listen to, but it is nice that they are old enough to go to concerts and not drive us crazy while we are there.