• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently living on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, and I think that my general feeling as is a number of others I have talked to here is that more than anything, we want this day to come and go without another attack of any kind, and at the same time, quiet reflection.

pics?

So let me get this stright - on the anniversary of a bunch of foreign assholes coming here and attacking us -you ask to see photos of someone's daughter? You need to grow up - who ever the fuck you are. I am sure the people on this board who lost people that day really appreciate you turning this into another thread full of shit.

So let me get this stright - on the anniversary of a bunch of foreign assholes coming here and attacking us -you ask to see photos of someone's daughter? You need to grow up - who ever the fuck you are. I am sure the people on this board who lost people that day really appreciate you turning this into another thread full of shit.

Somebody obviously hasn't had his morning coffee yet.

I don't think he was harsh at all. save that shit for the RTT.

I love how certain people get to decide what the rules are around here.

To reiterate: I'm in agreement with you on this one. I also happen to think A-man's response didn't help matters. That is all.

I was here in Richmond when it happened. People I work with here were on the phone with family and friends up in D.C. and were talking about smoke coming from the Pentagon before that was even on the news -- that's when we knew it was really bad. I also grew up near NYC and still have friends there, all of whom were in or near the city when the towers came down. One guy from my high school class (and possibly more, a lot of people I went to H.S. with went to work in NYC) was inside one of the towers when it came down.

5 years later. Iraq is a festering breeding ground for Al Qaeda, Bin Laden's trail has gone stone cold, and nobody feels any safer. Well done, Mr. Bush.

it doesn't seem all that random. M. Chris said it was her eldest's wedding anniversary (frankly, how many people even knew her 'eldest' referred to a woman?) and someone asked to see a pic. a wedding pic was posted. I think it's part of the mix in events like this. Life still continues. The wedding anniversary isn't changing days, and it's still a time of celebration even amidst tragedy. filling a thread about an event that occured due to hatred with a heap of hatred seems more counter productive than anything else.

There's the rub. This day is a cultural touchstone, but it still has import for other reasons as well.

Posting a beautiful picture of a gloriously happy day in my family's life doesn't sully or diminish the tragedy of that day in NY.

Jesus.

The argument brings up some interesting questions. It's not a holiday, at least not yet. should it be? How does having a personal celebration on the day of a tragedy color one's personal experience? Also, I know a woman whose kids are starting school today, and she's pretty worked up about it. What of things of that nature?

look, sorry. but I can give you my point of view for today. I'm on edge. for some reason, I am fearful today and will probably spend part of the day in tears. I hold nothing against anyone for this being a day of celebration for them. but the whole 'pics' flirtation and whatever just kind of bothered me. excuse me. carry on.

I know that Bethany was initially very sad to have both disparate memories in association.

Which is part of the reason I posted:

Today I will be remembering the extraodinary capacity for compassion that lies sleeping in all of us.

Also, today is my eldest's wedding anniversary. Happy anniversary, my sweeties. :cheekkiss

In this way both memories can coexist more comfortably.

I watched much of the Naudet brothers' 9/11 on CBS. Words fail me.

I had never seen it and just happened to tune in right as it started. Blew my mind. I will admit I had become so desensitized to the whole thing, almost to the point where it had gone back to being just another day. Watching that brought back a flood of emotions, memories of coming home each night for weeks and crying my ass off at the news on TV. Same thing happened last night. Then, I went upstairs and kissed my sleeping babies goodnight, said a few prayers and went to bed to hold onto my wife until the alarm went off this morning.

My Grandfather instilled the 'never forget' thing in me after he was in Pearl Harbor. You have to move on in life, but one should never ever cast this aside. If that means watching documentaries like this or CNN all day today, it's each persons right to do that in whatever way works. If anything, over and above that, you should use it as a reminder to appreciate everything you have versus anything you don't...be it a beautiful daughter celebrating a wonderful anniversary or better yet, that you're alive to celebrate it.

To anybody on here (and I know there are a few) who lost family and friends on this day...my sincerest condolences and prayers for strength go out to you. God bless.

Today is a tough day. In many ways, it is a real day of mourning for a lot of people. In other ways, it is a day tinged with anxiety and anger. To compound this, every TV channel and radio station is forcefeeding disaster, death, and destruction to every American, sensationalizing it, monetizing it, making it something that makes us just want to forget it.

The truth is, it's just imperative to be thankful today. Be thankful for sadness but also for humor. Be thankful for people you love, and even those you dislike. You can definitely be happy about weddings, and you can definitely be sad about loss. These emotions are not mutually exclusive on a day like this.

You don't have to do anything crazy, say anything profound, or watch anything particularly disturbing on television.

I do, however, think that it is most important to turn your anger into kindness toward others, think about what today means for you, for others, and the world, think about we've done, what we're doing, whether we as individuals or a country could do anything better; smile, laugh, mourn, and be glad that you have tomorrow.

is anyone watching the ABC dramatization tonight? i think we're going to watch the simpsons instead of some partisan version of the events.

My wife and I watched the first half last night. We were both sort of curious as to what could be in there to stir up such a response from the Clinton camp.

While certain parts were obviously cram-packed consolidations of events or information, I found it interesting to be reminded of many of the events of the 90s. I'm sure we'll watch part II this evening.

As to the other posts, everyone has his or her own way of grieving and/or remembering this part of our collective past. Why judge them for it, if it is what works for them?

Peace,

Neil

There's the rub. This day is a cultural touchstone, but it still has import for other reasons as well.

Posting a beautiful picture of a gloriously happy day in my family's life doesn't sully or diminish the tragedy of that day in NY.

Jesus.

I don't think anyone was upset by your post, M. Chris. :cheekkiss I sure hope not, anyway.

I was not upset by Chris's post at all. as everyone has said this is a hard day. no one can discount anyone's anniversary or birthday because it falls on this day. it's just a weird day for me and I apologize, again, for offending anyone.