People seem a little on edge today. Not just here, but in several online communities that I frequent.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSNBC is showing their coverage from the day. It makes me feel sick, but I suppose it is the best way to commemorate it without any politics.

I mean, god, it's so unbelievable how calm everyone seems. In the aftermath, all we've had is anger at everyone, but on this day, everyone's main concern was to ensure everyone was safe and knew what was going on, regardless of which party you belonged to.

God, I remember watching CNN, especially in the days after, and how human the reporters all seemed.

I can't even remember her name, but she was there in the night, wandering from missing poster to missing poster, weeping. We all seemed a bit more human those days.

Anyone else have that weird feeling that it's hard to believe that happened 5 years ago, and then one second later it's hard to believe it wasn't just yesterday? Very odd.....It's such a strange and surreal feeling 9-11 gives me.

Mostly I can't imagine the anguish and pain that the various widows, friends, relatives, etc of the victims must be still going through. Then I get angry, that the damn thing happened at all.

A couple days ago they were showing a group of 5 women who were widowed that day. I found myself watching and feeling quite sad for them. Then about half-way through the piece I started getting pissed. These women formed a club to help them get through their ordeal, but as the years progressed it (the show) started showing them going off on lavish vacations and this and that. Of course as the 5 years have rolled on they have all gotten re-married and all that. That in and of itself does not bother me, but the way they were talking about it did. I know you have to get on with your life and it isn't good or healthy to obsess on the past but the way these women were going on just seemed to me they had just written off their former husbands and had just said screw it I'm gonna have fun now.

Again I understand people deal with grief in different ways and I'm not condeming them. It just seemed that these women appeared to be so "over" it. I dunno just my perception. I would imagine I would probably not handle such a thing with any kind of dignity. Would probably stick my head in a Whiskey bottle and just drown there. It just struck me as if they were saying, well fuck it, your dead and I'm gonna go get mine. To me they came of very sleazy. Just my opinion. The whole fucking mess is still confusing even after 5 years. This country still has a lot of healing to do.

Six months ago, a close friend of mine suffered a terrible personal tragedy. His tragedy can't match the scope of what happened five years ago, but his grief was every bit as enormous as those widows'. This weekend, I attended his son's fifth birthday party, and in a couple of months, I'll be attending his wedding. Life does go on, and sometimes getting on with your life can be the healthiest thing in the world. You have no idea what kind of personal grief those women went through, and probably continue to go through.

Edit: posted before I saw M.Chris' post.

I had never seen it and just happened to tune in right as it started. Blew my mind. I will admit I had become so desensitized to the whole thing, almost to the point where it had gone back to being just another day. Watching that brought back a flood of emotions, memories of coming home each night for weeks and crying my ass off at the news on TV. Same thing happened last night. Then, I went upstairs and kissed my sleeping babies goodnight, said a few prayers and went to bed to hold onto my wife until the alarm went off this morning.

:cheekkiss :hug

What is the prescribed length of time to grieve and then to move on?

That's the question I keep pondering. Everyone grieves in their own way. For me personally, it's a very private thing -- something I don't really want to share with others, sometimes not even my own family. But I'm an introvert -- for some people, grieving apparently involves getting interviewed on television.

As for the length of time ... do we have any right to expect that people should still be grief-stricken five years later? I didn't see the thing darkstar mentioned, so I can't really comment on what these people were saying, but if some people have managed to pick up the pieces and move on and be happy in five short years, hell, I'm happy for them.

I had never seen it and just happened to tune in right as it started. Blew my mind. I will admit I had become so desensitized to the whole thing, almost to the point where it had gone back to being just another day. Watching that brought back a flood of emotions, memories of coming home each night for weeks and crying my ass off at the news on TV. Same thing happened last night. Then, I went upstairs and kissed my sleeping babies goodnight, said a few prayers and went to bed to hold onto my wife until the alarm went off this morning.

My Grandfather instilled the 'never forget' thing in me after he was in Pearl Harbor. You have to move on in life, but one should never ever cast this aside. If that means watching documentaries like this or CNN all day today, it's each persons right to do that in whatever way works. If anything, over and above that, you should use it as a reminder to appreciate everything you have versus anything you don't...be it a beautiful daughter celebrating a wonderful anniversary or better yet, that you're alive to celebrate it.

To anybody on here (and I know there are a few) who lost family and friends on this day...my sincerest condolences and prayers for strength go out to you. God bless.

Very nice man :thumbup I remember having to sit down with my kids who were like 16,13 & 10 at the time & trying to keep from getting choked up & trying to make sense of this for them.I told them that as long as we did the best we could do every day & lived every day to the fullest,there's no way we can be the "loser" in all this.(I know,easier said than done)

I believed then,and still believe now,in the old axiom:that which doesn't kill us can only make us stronger

Six months ago, a close friend of mine suffered a terrible personal tragedy. His tragedy can't match the scope of what happened five years ago, but his grief was every bit as enormous as those widows'. This weekend, I attended his son's fifth birthday party, and in a couple of months, I'll be attending his wedding. Life does go on, and sometimes getting on with your life can be the healthiest thing in the world. You have no idea what kind of personal grief those women went through, and probably continue to go through.

Edit: posted before I saw M.Chris' post.

Yeah, your absolutely right.. you can't put a time limit on that kind of thing. To me though it just seemed very shallow and callous. But that's my opinion. I'm a pretty loyal kind of guy and it just seemed they were so blase' about it. But hey, if it gets them through it then good for them. Not judging, just saying it is my perception about it.

Yeah, your absolutely right.. you can't put a time limit on that kind of thing. To me though it just seemed very shallow and callous. But that's my opinion. I'm a pretty loyal kind of guy and it just seemed they were so blase' about it. But hey, if it gets them through it then good for them. Not judging, just saying it is my perception about it.

Trust me, in their private moments they remember and grieve.

IMO, five years is a very long time to grieve and NOT move on. The multiplicity and shocking nature of the deaths added a component most people don't have to deal with when they lose someone. For me, the best possible outcome was when grief morphed into gratitude for having had that person in my life. That gives you a foundation on which to welcome whatever life brings you rather than recoil and isolate.

Still waiting for reports back from the "martyrs" on how that 72 virgin thing worked out for them.

I am having a difficult time concentrating today. While its nice to think like gary can about the artificiality of anniversaries, the fact remains that it did happen 5 years ago today (and yes, years are artificial constructs as well).

We told Jake about it in very quick terms, just saying that 5 years ago some people had flown planes into a couple of tall buildings in New York on purpose. His first (and only) question was "why did they do that", and one that I wish we didn't need to try to answer.

I am having a difficult time concentrating today.

me too. I'm trying not to go on the CNN site and tonight I doubt I will watch any of the media coverage. I want to remember this in my own way and I think an nice, quiet evening at home, perhaps meditating or watching Deadwood on demand will soothe my irritability. I think everyone has their own ways of dealing with grief. the last 2 anniversaries were on weekends, so it made it easier to just be at home and mourn in my own way. I'd watch some of the reading of the names and cry, then do something else and move on. we had a friend who was at the Trade Center when it happened stay at our house last night. my husband didn't want him to be alone on this day and the evening before. it felt nice to be of some comfort to him.

I want to remember this in my own way...

As you should and as everybody should be allowed to.

I'm much better now, but I had a hard time on the ride into work today. I haven't listened to the radio in my car for like 2-3 months, but it was on from yesterday's Bears game and i hadn't put a CD back in yet. I switched over to XRT this morning and heard Springsteen's 'The Rising'...for some reason I got all teary again. If they would have played 'My City of Ruins' I think I would have probably had to pull over.

Those are two of a small bunch of songs that immediately take me back to that time period. Tonight, i'll likely pop in the Tribute to Heroes DVD just to crank up the speakers to watch the aformentioned Springsteen performance (which you can watch HERE) and

THIS

which, just after watching again for the first time in probably two years, has made me teary. Call them bloated, greazy, whatever...but that performance right there is probably one of my favorite by any band at any time. Period.

Awww man, THIS ONE does it every time too.

That whole show and the lack of posturing in the performances by most who participated, that sense of caring/community on such a large scale that M.Chris alluded to...the vacation that irony/sarcasm/bi-partisanship/personal agendas/etc. took in the midst of everything...it was amazing to see something so beautiful born out of something so horrible. While I didn't personally lose anybody that day, I do mourn the loss of the unity/community felt during that time amidst all of that chaos.

The optimist in me hopes that all this media coverage, regardless of what you think of it, can not only help people recollect how horrible that time was, so we don't ever let down our guard, but also remind people of how (at least for a little while) we can come together and be a United States of America.

THIS

which, just after watching again for the first time in probably two years, has made me teary. Call them bloated, greazy, whatever...but that performance right there is probably one of my favorite by any band at any time. Period.

I didn't know George Michael played gee-tar for U2.

Guest ScottHoward

Driving down Harlem Ave, trying to get to the Eisenhower, I got a call telling me to go home. Whenever I am on that stretch of road, no matter how distracted by other things, I always remember that day and that call.

3 weeks later I stood at Ground Zero. I have never experienced anything like that in my life. I was with 3 other guys and no one spoke a word for 6 hours. We still dont speak about it. The trip comes up occasionally in conversation and there's still silence.

No matter how far or how close we were to those events and people, I'd like to think that we (as a country) come together, however briefly - as we did in the weeks following 9/11 - today.

We talked about music that reminds us of 9/11 in Music Appreciation today and I mention "My City Of Ruin". Such a beautiful song.

Which, funny enough, had nothing to do w/ 9/11...just like 'Walk On' didn't. It's crazy how that day gave just about anything you listened to the potential to resonate so much relative to the events and eveything that happened.

Forgot about this one HERE.