Cat Power & Neko Case Both Playing London...

Just went to book tickets for Neko Case & M-Ward at Koko on November 1st, but just realised Cat Power & The Memphis Rhythm Band are playing the Roundhouse the same night :hmm

Was really hoping to catch Neko Case while she was doing her small tour over here but i don't think i can miss the opportunity to see Cat Power, especially with the MRB as her backing band for the night. I also can't stand Koko at all, however, i have heard great things about the Roundhouse. Still, it is a shame they are scheduled on the same night....would have been nice to see both. Are any other Brits going to be attending either of these shows? Both are going to be wicked :rock

Oh no, you're going to the wrong show!
No kidding....Neko always is good in person: Cat Power recently played Chicago and while I didn't go, she got a rather lackluster review, apparently having problems getting it going most of the show. Neko is always on and rarely disappoints.

LouieB

Are any other Brits going to be attending either of these shows?

I thought about Cat Power as I love The Greatest so much, but I'm going to the Roundhouse to see Calexico within a few days of it, and I was put off a bit by some of the things I'd heard about flaky performances. I saw a great YouTube of her on a US TV show though. I might have a last minute change of mind.

I'd seen that... though I'm not a fan of Neko Case...

do you like cat power?

i think i am going to keep with my cat power tickets mainly because i recently recieved a copy of her set at bonnaroo this year with the MRB and it is pretty solid...i am liking it alot. not to say i don't like neko case, i like her alot also but just the fact that the gig is at koko puts me off. that venue really winds me up and i end up feeling annoyed throughout most of a gig there. i am also anxious to hear how most of 'the greatest' translates live with the MRB...i really dig that album. i really do wish i could see both though.

I thought about Cat Power as I love The Greatest so much, but I'm going to the Roundhouse to see Calexico within a few days of it, and I was put off a bit by some of the things I'd heard about flaky performances. I saw a great YouTube of her on a US TV show though. I might have a last minute change of mind.

as i just mentioned in the previous post, i just attained a copy of her set at bonnaroo with the MRB and it is a really solid set...great sound quality too. if you are interested, i am more than happy to B&P you a copy of it so you can get a listen of how she is sounding as of late. :thumbup

i am more than happy to B&P you a copy of it so you can get a listen of how she is sounding as of late. :thumbup

Thanks for the offer, but I will decline right now - just feeling a bit lazy to organise postage etc. Maybe I can take you up on that sometime in the future, or if you need some the the small number of Wilco/JT solo shows I have and want to do a straight swap (which is assuming that you don't bit-torrent etc. like me, otherwise you'll probably have enough shows to be getting on with). :cheers

BTW welcome to VC too - haven't noticed you as one of the small gang of Brit regulars before.

EDIT - also the YHF Engineers Demos which are essential.

Thanks for the offer, but I will decline right now - just feeling a bit lazy to organise postage etc. Maybe I can take you up on that sometime in the future, or if you need some the the small number of Wilco/JT solo shows I have and want to do a straight swap (which is assuming that you don't bit-torrent etc. like me, otherwise you'll probably have enough shows to be getting on with). :cheers

BTW welcome to VC too - haven't noticed you as one of the small gang of Brit regulars before.

EDIT - also the YHF Engineers Demos which are essential.

well mate, more than happy to just send you a copy, not a hassle at all. only if you want a copy that is. yea i have been collecting shows for a while, through torrent, so i have built up a collection, but would love to do a trade anytime if you are interested. just let me know and i can send you my show list. cheers for the welcome, i have noticed a few brits here, thats why i posted the info above...just incase people were not aware of the gigs :)

just picked up the YHF demos.....bloody fantastic! i have been listening to them more than YHF recently.

That seems to be a pretty common phenomenon.

You have got BOTH though right? I'm not certain of the exact terminology, but one is the 'demos' and one is the 'engineers demos'. Alot of overlap. The 'demos' has the better version of Venus Stopped The Train, but the 'Engineers demos' wins for me because of the version of Reservations and Let Me Come Home (probably my favourite JT vocal).

Just in case - you probably knew that, but wouldn't want you to miss out.

yea i think i just have the 'demos'....this copy has venus stopped the train but no version of let me come home so i am guessing it isn't the engineers demos. if i remember correctly i picked up the demos off bt.etree. will have to keep an eye out for the engineers demos. cheers for the heads up!

Yes, I like her stuff, but I've got the same issue as Andrew - I'm off to see Calexico a couple of days later and I don't live in London so the commuting is a bit of a pain...

ah i see, understandable. how was the ryan adams show by the way?

I saw Cat Power at the Vic last Wednesday night. Half of the show was amazing, the other half was a total trainwreck. She was amazing with the Memphis Band. When she went solo the show just took a weird turn. She wasn't making any sense, starting and stopping songs. I feel that there was definitely an audience of people there just to see the sideshow. "Lived in Bars" was totally amazing, and about 45 minutes later I was wondering who the bi polar broad on stage was. I felt bad for the band. You could tell they were visibly pissed when they came back out to perform with her. She's a great talent, but totally insane.

I hear-tell that it's an act.

my sister and her boyfriend have been big fans of cat power for quite some time and have seen her extensively, and from what i have heard from them, and others, is that she lacked any self-confidence on stage until very recently. i think that explains why in the past she has come across as all over the place on stage and why now she can still sometimes act this way live. then again, this is not fact, so you could also be right...just what i heard.