Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose

I wan't a huge fan of Ms. Lynn's before I picked this up. I mostly got it because of the good buzz it was getting pre-release and because of Jack White's involvement. I immediately fell in love with the record once I got it. Her voice is one of a kind and is still so strong for a woman at her age.

Its just a very good country music album. When I say country music, I mean COUNTRY music, not the sugar-coated pop garbage that gets played on your average coutnry radio station today.

Very down to earth lyrics. Nothing earth-shattering or high-concept, but they come across as very honest and that is kind of refreshing to me these days.

Some bluesy influence on a couple of tracks, both in the instrumentation, as well as her vocal delivery. If you are a fan of UT's or early Wilco, I think you will really enjoy this album. I recommend it very highly.

worth noting:

Brendan Benson is the engineer for that album.

Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler of Greenhonres and Racanteurs fame are also in the backing band.

In other words, all 4 of the memebers of The Racanteurs are involved in the making of this album

worth noting:

Brendan Benson is the engineer for that album.

Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler of Greenhonres and Racanteurs fame are also in the backing band.

In other words, all 4 of the memebers of The Racanteurs are involved in the making of this album

Not to be a jerk or anything...Benson actually is only the engineer for "Little Red Shoes" according to the liner notes, but I never did notice the Raconteurs connection. Thanks for pointing it out.

If you kids haven't seen 'Coal Miner's Daughter' go rent it! Levon Helm (The Band's drummer) plays Loretta's daddy.
Yes it is..in fact it gave Lorretta a new new audience at a time when even classic country music wasn't appreciated. Sissy Spasik does a fantastic job.

LouieB

I really do applaud Jack White on his association with this album. Personally, I had no interest in the White Stripes. Nothing against them... just didn't appeal to me. Van Lear Rose is a great album.

Now Brendan Benson, old Solace turned a many Via Chicagoans on to him. Great power pop stuff. Raconteurs - do we give Jack the credit? Brendan? Either way, great shit.

The only thing I find myself skipping over is "Little Red Shoes"...

Huh... "Little Red Shoes" is one of my favorites on the album. Interesting how art works in personal ways.

finally got to pick up van lear rose yesterday. I have to admit i'm totally in love with the album!

can't get enough of "high on a mountain top". The only thing I find myself skipping over is "Little Red Shoes"...

:cheers I'm glad you liked it!

(I only needed to hear Little Red Shoes once or twice, too).

i've never been able to listen all the way through.... risking being shunned by some i have to say that i can't stand loretta lynn's voice... everytime i hear a song from the album i wish there was an instrumental version or something. i love the production work (yay jack white) and i love his guitar work throughout but as soon as she starts singing i have to stop listening.

i've never been able to listen all the way through.... risking being shunned by some i have to say that i can't stand loretta lynn's voice... everytime i hear a song from the album i wish there was an instrumental version or something. i love the production work (yay jack white) and i love his guitar work throughout but as soon as she starts singing i have to stop listening.

There aren't many female vocalists I like a whole lot. The only one I really like is Lucinda Williams (although that live album kinda sucks). Other than that, I think Norah Jones is pretty good sometimes. I love Portland, Oregon on this album and that's really it. I have trouble making it through the rest of the thing, but the music is pretty solid most of the time.

There aren't many female vocalists I like a whole lot.

same here. i've stopped saying so because i tend to get called a misogynist, but anyway, one instance i can really get into female vocals is when they are countered with deep male vocals e.g. the mark lanegan/isobel campbell album or the band sons and daughters.

same here. i've stopped saying so because i tend to get called a misogynist, but anyway, one instance i can really get into female vocals is when they are countered with deep male vocals e.g. the mark lanegan/isobel campbell album or the band sons and daughters.

It's not misogynistic IMO. I just don't enjoy that quality a whole lot in a rock song for some reason. As I said before, Lucinda's voice is awesome and I love when she has that angry tone in her rocked-up tunes. And I love Norah's voice: it really compliments her piano playing.