M. Ward Denton, Texas 9/22/06

It's on the dime, and for those not members below is my review and the specs of the tape...

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=113543

M. Ward

September 22, 2006

Hailey's- Denton, Texas

DFC>10'from stage>ellivated-5'11">audix1290>ps2>MT24/96@24/44.1>imacg5>audasity.wav>FLAC

A "time was just a joke" production

Matt Ward- Lead Vocals, Guitar, Wurlitzer piano, harp

Adam Selzer- Guitar, Backing vocals

Mike Coykendall- Bass, Backing Vocals

Jordan Hudson- Drums, Mickey Mouse Trash cans, and Vibes

Rachel Blumberg- Drums, Backing vocals

This show finds Matt and his band in a small night club on the campus of NTSU with one of the most respectful, appreciative club audiences i have had the pleasure of enjoying a show with.

Matt and his band tore through this 74 minuet set with little hesitation. Concentrating on the new release "Post-War"; the record i consider my favorite release of this year, with seven selections peppered through out the set. They split eight songs from the two previous releases, "Transistor Radio", witch this show featured the last four tracks on side one of the vinyl release. And the outstanding "Transfiguration Of Vincent" concluding the main set with a blistering "Helicopter". The intro to this song was worth the $12 price of admission i paid!

The encore was kicked off with a sweet rendition of the classic Johnny Cash 1954 release "Get Rhythm" with some playful prompting by a few members of the audience that heard Matt play it in sound check. The banter between Matt and the audience captured during this portion of the recording is one of the rare times banter from the audience is in good taste and adds to the enjoyment of the show.

The "hat trick" of Vincent O'Brien>Poor Boy>Big Boat to end this show was played with so much energy Matt could be seen held up by two members of his road crew as he exited the front door of the venue on the way to the bus. The rest of the band greeted fans out side the venue.

To end this collection I included a selection from the opening act "Portastatic" W/ Matt Ward on electric guitar playing a Dylan cover "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You "

I hope you enjoy the show as much as i do and please respect the artist do not sell this recording. Instead pick up a release or two from this relatively new and outstanding artist. Your collection will be improved.

"time was just a joke"

01. To Go Home 2006-(Post-War)

02. Four Hours In Washington 2005-(Transistor Radio)

03. Poison Cup 2006-(Post-War)

04. Undertaker 2003-(Transfiguration of Vincent)

05. Post-War 2006-(Post-War)

06. Chinese Translation 2006-(Post-War)

07. Requiem 2006-(Post-War)

08. Fuel For Fire 2005-(Transistor Radio)

09. Cosmopolitan Path (unreleased)

10. Magic Trick 2006-(Post-War)

11. Flaming Heart 2001-(End of Amnesia)

12. Regeneration No. 1 2005-(Transistor Radio)

13. Right In The Head 2006(Post-War)

14. Helicopter 2003-(Transfiguration of Vincent)

-encore I -

15. Get Rhythm 1956-(Johnny Cash cover)

16. Vincent O'Brien 2003-(Transfiguration Of Vincent)

-encore II -

17. Poor Boy, Minor Key 2003-(Transfiguration Of Vincent)

18. Big Boat 2005-(Transistor Radio)

19. Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You* 1969-(Bob Dylan cover)

*Portastatic W/ Matt Ward- electric guitar

Excellent show! Thanks for the link.

This was an impressive display of talent. Not only by M but also the band. TWO drummers that played together but also switched between the ukulele and xylophone/vibraphone? The rhythm guitar player and bass player also switched between instruments throughout the show.

Matt on the Rhodes was cool as shit. He stood up there with his DeArmond(I had no idea thats what he played) swung around his back and his fingers tickled the keys.

I would have taken another 30 minutes though. Solace had mentioned he played for almost 2 hours in MN. :(

One last observation: "Get Rhythm" blew me away! I almost shit when the frat boys beside me yelled it out and M started acknowledging their request. There are a lot of words in that song and I'm not sure Matt missed a single one.

Before Matt went on I noticed he was at the soundboard (he floated all through the club without being noticed by many folks. Wearing glasses and a hat.) and then shortly after that the background music started. I noticed it was The Carter Family. I can't help but think this is one of the reasons I am drawn to his music. If he is influenced by The Carters music (which so many artists before him were) it would only make sense. Theirs is a timeless music and the more I hear from M the more I think his is too.

Some people have made mention of the comparisons between Bob Dylan and M Ward but when I put together his pre-show music (I assume its his choice) and the "Get Rhythm" cover (along with other observations of his music) I think a closer comparison may be Johnny Cash........ :shifty I guess thats more than one observation..... Fantastic show and if M Ward is within a 300 mile radius I would recommend seeing him. You wont be disappointed.

Thanks to M and his band!

I was at this show, too. My friend booked it, and while I was on my way up she called and asked me to pick up some ginger tea bags for Matt. Hear that pretty singing? I like to think the tea had something to do with it...

What a show. The guy blows my mind everytime.