Nevermind has aged badly?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me for having an opinion that differs from yours. How is it shit to think Nirvana is great?

it's not, but the comments about Cobain's melodies over Westy's is imo. Westerberg is one of the top songwriters of the last 25 years, without a doubt top 10 easily. Cobain... i'd consider about 5-10 Nirvana songs that compete w/ the best Replacements songs, but that's about it.

the last time i listened to Nirvana (about 6 years ago), i realized how much i overhyped them even myself back in '91-94

The Replacements is a band I have never gotten. I have bought or acquired all of their albums that you guys are mentioning and I pull them out from time to time just to make sure, but they never click with me. Comments like: "Westerberg is one of the top songwriters of the last 25 years, without a doubt top 10 easily." leave me scratching my hand and I bet there's 30 people posting on here right now that I would wholeheartedly agree. I'm not saying that Cobain was a better songwriter, but I do like Nirvana better. I wouldn't bother to compare them because they're very different sounds to my ears.

Cobain... i'd consider about 5-10 Nirvana songs that compete w/ the best Replacements songs, but that's about it.

Is 'All Apologies' on that list? That's a real good jammy right there. Especially the Unplugged version. The Replacements certainly have a better, satisfying catalog in my book but I'm hard pressed to find a Westerberg song that kicks me in the emotional balls as that one.

The Replacements is a band I have never gotten. I have bought or acquired all of their albums that you guys are mentioning and I pull them out from time to time just to make sure, but they never click with me. Comments like: "Westerberg is one of the top songwriters of the last 25 years, without a doubt top 10 easily." leave me scratching my hand and I bet there's 30 people posting on here right now that I would wholeheartedly agree. I'm not saying that Cobain was a better songwriter, but I do like Nirvana better. I wouldn't bother to compare them because they're very different sounds to my ears.

well, another person i'd consider among the top 10 songwriters post 1980 is Neil Finn, and i'm sure i'd get even more heads scratching w/ that one

it's not, but the comments about Cobain's melodies over Westy's is imo. Westerberg is one of the top songwriters of the last 25 years, without a doubt top 10 easily. Cobain... i'd consider about 5-10 Nirvana songs that compete w/ the best Replacements songs, but that's about it.

the last time i listened to Nirvana (about 6 years ago), i realized how much i overhyped them even myself back in '91-94

See, I think calling Westerberg a top 10 songwriter is as much bullshit as you think me calling Cobain one is. I mean, I'd rank Westerberg in like, the Jack White range as far as songwriters go; which is to say, not very high.

Nirvana's best songs don't compete with The Mats best...they outshine them ten fold. But that's just me.

thing is, i wouldn't dispute you calling Cobain one of the best songwriters of the last 25 years, i just would disagree...

Jack White, as great as he is, isn't even fit to hold Paul's jock, sorry.

maybe it's a generational thing? not that i was into the Mats' in their heyday (i got into them around '91), but still, there is 7-8 years between us in age if my assumption is correct, that could definitely account for some of the differences of opinion, as that would have made you 7 or 8 when Nirvana broke? i can easily see how getting into a band like that at that age could have a very lasting impact. heck, it had a fairly decent impact on me as well, but it faded fairly quickly.

thing is, i wouldn't dispute you calling Cobain one of the best songwriters of the last 25 years, i just would disagree...

Jack White, as great as he is, isn't even fit to hold Paul's jock, sorry.

maybe it's a generational thing? not that i was into the Mats' in their heyday (i got into them around '91), but still, there is 7-8 years between us in age if my assumption is correct, that could definitely account for some of the differences of opinion.

Fair enough... Sorry if I came off a little harsh. I'm just very passionate about Nirvana, and I don't think they get a fair shake around here. I think people try to cut them down in order to counter balance the hype (as in, if we say they suck/ or were really average...we can pull down the mass hype.)

personally, I'm guilty of doing the whole "How close does it sound to a Beatles melody" test though...which maybe why songs of Cobain's like "About a Girl" and songs like "We're Going to Be Friends" of Jack White's outrank Westerberg's best to me.

Mayhaps that's it. I'm 22, you're 28. For people my age, Nirvana's music has had pretty much a shaping effect on...well everything.

Pearl Jam sounded rather poor for the most part, but their energy was amazing, making it one of the more memorable Unpluggeds.

Nirvana were a very hit or miss live band, so for them to go Unplugged and excel and sound so great was really the pinnacle for them in my eyes.