Nevermind has aged badly?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That too - I should say that I did not have a TV back then, so I did not see this until years later.

I was only a boy when they did Unplugged. It was November 1993, so I was 9 1/2....my mom didn't let me watch MTV till I was 12. By that time, MTV had started to suck, so I barely watched it.

Personally, I don't find watching concerts to be as exciting as some people do....at least that one...It's so...morose. I enjoy the album, but it's hard watching him slumped over his acoustic guitar...just looking like death.

By the way, I have some rough mixes of Nevermind songs if anyone wants to hear them less produced... I just have to find 'em.

I probably enjoy the White Stripes more than Nirvana.

Me too. Nirvana was a great band, but the White Stripes have had a much, much larger impact on me personally (in lots of ways--I'd put them in my top 10 favorites of all time, but as far as overall impact on my life, the White Stripes are #1 hands down). And of course, there's a certain excitement to being into an active band that you can't quite get from going back and listening to a band that is no longer around, as far as wonderment of what they're going to do next, etc.

B)-->

QUOTE(Paul B @ Sep 27 2006, 01:59 PM)

I thought it was a 3 way tie between REM, Neil Young and Nirvana...........but I'm not gonna argue......Bryan Adams it is!!

pfft R.E.M. Nirvana and Neil Young?

Mere Children compared to the Canadian sensation that is Bryan Adams.

I think the reason Nevermind has suffered a bit of a backlash is because the album was too "perfect" for Nirvana's image. They had this image as modern day punks, and you will never hear a punk album that sounds as crisp or (let's face it), lifeless as that one. It is the most predictable album of all time (if a song starts of slow, it will pick up, unless it's acoustic, in which case it will not change, all of the guitar solos will follow the vocal melody to a t, etc), but the thing that keeps me coming back is that the songs themselves are so good. But, in terms of their public image, the album was too good. They were an incredibly flawed band, especially Kurt who was not that talented of a guitarist, and was just a personally fucked up individual, so they release this crisp sounding album, of course it can be looked at as a "Sell out" or whatever, but thats bullshit.

Listening to Nevermind right now, I almost can't stand to listen to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". While it is undeniably a great song, I absolutely can't listen to it with anything other than a sense of detached irony at this point. Like, if I'm listening to this song because I think it is good it somehow makes me uncool.