Band Of Horses 9/26/2006

I saw Band Of Horses in Boulder tonight. Holy fucking hell, did they sound good!

I'd never heard of them until a few months ago when someone recommended their "Everything All The Time" (EATT) album. I liked it immediately. I hear them compared to My Morning Jacket a lot, but I don't know - to me they kind of sound like The Shins. At any rate, it's a fabulous album.

I didn't know what to expect from the show, as it turned out it was way more rocking than I thought it would be, based on EATT... they started with The First Song (well, obviously...) I can't remember what was next, but song 3 was The Funeral. The Funeral is far and away my favorite song on the album, and the live version just blew the album version away.

After a new song, they did a cover of Steve Goodman's (or David Allan Coe's?!?) You Don't Even Call Me By My Name. I think this was the precise moment that I stopped really liking Band Of Horses and started loving them. Indie pop meets country & western, indeed.

After that, details of the setlist are sketchy at best. I know they played another new song, a few more from EATT, and they closed the show with covers of The New Year (don't know this band) and ELO.

Definitely a rocking good time. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

travis4.jpg

They are a fun band. I caught them opening for Iron&Wine last summer, and they blew them out of the water in my book

oh man... dude they aren't even remotely the same band that opened for I&W spring '05 (i saw 'em as well, they were called Horses still then)

for one they've gone through 3 different members, and are now a 4 or 5 piece depending when you see them.

and secondly, they are WAY WAY better of a band now :cheers

oh man... dude they aren't even remotely the same band that opened for I&W spring '05 (i saw 'em as well, they were called Horses still then)

for one they've gone through 3 different members, and are now a 4 or 5 piece depending when you see them.

and secondly, they are WAY WAY better of a band now :cheers

:hmm

I said I liked (band of) Horses better then I&W, so I guess I like them WAY WAY more now :)