Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much ado about nothing, as far as I'm concerned. Pitchers get their hands dirty. They do stand in the middle of an 18' diameter circle of dirt, and throw balls which have been rubbed with mud, after all. The only thing that's at all fishy to me is that he says the umpires didn't ask him to wash his hands, and the umpires say they did.

I'm cheering against the Tigers, but I think the poop-hand is a non-issue. If Rogers had sucked from the second inning on, I'd think differently -- but he was masterful without the doody, so, "meh."

PM_ND_10.30.jpg

RIP, little buddy.

Nelson de la Rosa, the world's shortest actor and a ubiquitous good-luck charm for the Boston Red Sox during their victorious 2004 World Series run, died at a New York hospital on Sunday, his agent said.

De la Rosa, who was about 2-foot-4, died of unknown causes, producer Andres Duran told The Associated Press. He was 38.

He fell ill shortly after arriving in Miami on Friday from Chile, where the Dominican national had been working in a circus. On Saturday he flew to New York, where two of his brothers live, Duran said.

Born and raised in a small village near San Miguel, in Santo Domingo province, the charismatic de la Rosa became internationally known when he appeared alongside Marlon Brando in the 1996 film "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

The Internet Movie Database called him the world's shortest actor, and he was listed by the Guinness Book of World Records as the shortest known adult in 1989.

After the baseball fan was introduced to then-Boston ace Pedro Martinez by a mutual friend, the two Dominicans became friends. De la Rosa became a regular presence in the team's clubhouse in the playoffs of the 2004 season, in which the Red Sox won their first World Series in 86 years.

De la Rosa's body will be sent back to the Dominican Republic after an autopsy and then could be put on display in a museum, his agent said.

De la Rosa is survived by his wife, a 9-year-old son, his mother and five siblings.

Much ado about nothing, as far as I'm concerned. Pitchers get their hands dirty. They do stand in the middle of an 18' diameter circle of dirt, and throw balls which have been rubbed with mud, after all. The only thing that's at all fishy to me is that he says the umpires didn't ask him to wash his hands, and the umpires say they did.

I wish I could agree with you, but...

mlb_rogers_hands_412.jpg

ALDS/ALCS

Pinetar2.jpg

World Series

I haven't decided yet whether I think that this is a big deal or not, but there's no way it's just dirt.

I wish the Cardinals would have shelled after the second so we could make a big deal out of this but they didn't. It's not good to cheat, and he probably was cheating, but the Cardinals complete ineptitude with the baseball bat lost them this game. Juan Encarnacion looked like he was legally blind all night at the plate. Swinging at sounds like a bat on the hunt.