Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and MrRain, Johnny Damon acting cool in a bar is not the point. the point is A-rod is a self centered prick that I hate. that's the only point I'm trying to make.

That's fair. I hate him for the same reason. However...

he received the American League MVP, but he hasn't taken that team to championship. I can tell you that every Yankee fan I speak to in my office wants him gone and will be glad when he is gone.

No one on the team has taken them to a championship in several years, and A-Rod has done more to get them close than almost anyone else on the team. I understand that Yankees fans want championships, I just think that too much of the blame is placed on A-Rod unfairly. He's certainly a little bitch, but he's also a great player.

I dunno, looks like the Tigers might have a World Series winner without him. :D

That being said, a deal for Verlander would have to include the Yanks picking up a ton of A-Rod's salary (J.V. is on a rookie contract, so he's probably making the league minimum).

I'm sure the Tigers would let the Yankees take their pick of Zach Miner, Wilfredo Ledezma, Jason Grilli, and maybe Nate Robertson. Go nuts, Yanks.

Well, that moment in the All-Star game several years back where A-Rod traded positions with Ripken for the first inning was a classy moment. Beyond that, I've never had much feeling one way or another for the guy. Helluva player, puts up great numbers (most of the time), but hasn't had a storybook ending yet. Oh well. Sometimes things don't go your way. That's baseball. I wouldn't mind having him on my favorite team, but not for the current salary. Nobody in baseball is currently worth that. I thought that deal was stupid then and its stupid now.

As for the PO'd fans...for the kind of money he makes, a lot of people wouldn't be happy unless he came up with a way to get 8 RBI per at bat and fix them a martini in the process. He's a helluva player, but the salary numbers definitely alter the way he is perceived.

GO METS! :monkey

I have never understood the monkey icon. Am I being mocked or can we add to you to the list of folks rooting for the good guys?

I think you're going to have to be a little more specific.

Yeah, I was sort of joking around. Since no one here knows what the hell I look like. And even if they did, they wouldnt see me in a sea of 60,000 other screaming folks. It may have been a tongue in cheek reference my mom who, to this day, tunes into sporting events to see if she will see me on tv. Even though she never has. :D

for the kind of money he makes, a lot of people wouldn't be happy unless he came up with a way to get 8 RBI per at bat and fix them a martini in the process.

That's gold, Jerry!

I have never understood the monkey icon. Am I being mocked or can we add to you to the list of folks rooting for the good guys?

Monkeys are good things. And they mean well. Except the rally monkey. That's just stupid.

Well, that moment in the All-Star game several years back where A-Rod traded positions with Ripken for the first inning was a classy moment. Beyond that, I've never had much feeling one way or another for the guy. Helluva player, puts up great numbers (most of the time), but hasn't had a storybook ending yet. Oh well. Sometimes things don't go your way. That's baseball. I wouldn't mind having him on my favorite team, but not for the current salary. Nobody in baseball is currently worth that. I thought that deal was stupid then and its stupid now.

As for the PO'd fans...for the kind of money he makes, a lot of people wouldn't be happy unless he came up with a way to get 8 RBI per at bat and fix them a martini in the process. He's a helluva player, but the salary numbers definitely alter the way he is perceived.

The Yankees are paying him $16 mil per (Rangers are picking up the rest). He's arguably a bargain at that price. There was talk of Crede and Buehrle/Garcia/Vazquez for A-Rod. The salaries almost match up and that would be a trade that would probably benefit both teams quite a bit. If I were the Yankees, I'd want Garcia, who looked incredible after he added a pitch.

Looks like there's going to be a slew of talented young japanese players available this offseason. At least 3 or 4 are expected to be posted.

Over under on how many land in New York (either one)?

The crown jewel of the Japanese league is, of course, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and there's a very good reason for that. The guy can throw heat, and he's got a large repetoire of out pitches, including what was fabled to the be the mystical "Gyroball", but what is more likely to be some sort of a screwball.

There is also third baseman Akinori Iwamura, who could come into the league and post Scott Rolen type hitting stats, and LHP Kei Igawa, who looks to be about a number 3 starter.

The Yankees are paying him $16 mil per (Rangers are picking up the rest). He's arguably a bargain at that price. There was talk of Crede and Buehrle/Garcia/Vazquez for A-Rod. The salaries almost match up and that would be a trade that would probably benefit both teams quite a bit. If I were the Yankees, I'd want Garcia, who looked incredible after he added a pitch.

While it's still huge, Rodriguez at four years, $64MM is a reasonable commitment for a superstar. Even the fairly conservative PECOTA projection system from Baseball Prospectus says he'll be worth over $66MM over that time period.

Via-MLbtraderumors.com

The Yankees are paying him $16 mil per (Rangers are picking up the rest).

True, but in terms of perception it doesn't seem to matter a lot where the money is coming from. I work in an office full of Yankee fans and almost every complaint I hear about A-Rod starts with the phrase "For the amount of money that guy makes..."

Sounds like jealousy over his money. Why do the fans care how much money he makes?

Also, well, I thought we were debating whether or not that perception of him was reasonable or not. We all understand that the perception exists, but giving a bit of an explanation for why it exists doesn't mean that it's correct. IMO.

Looks like there's going to be a slew of talented young japanese players available this offseason. At least 3 or 4 are expected to be posted.

Over under on how many land in New York (either one)?

The crown jewel of the Japanese league is, of course, Daisuke Matsuzaka, and there's a very good reason for that. The guy can throw heat, and he's got a large repetoire of out pitches, including what was fabled to the be the mystical "Gyroball", but what is more likely to be some sort of a screwball.

150 km/h = about 93 mph. And I see that dude getting called for (conservatively) 48 balks a game.

The New York teams and the Mariners are always the favorite to get any hyped Japanese talent.

Yeah, Seattle needs to do something; Ichiro has kind of faded into obscurity despite being one of the three or four best hitters in the game.

I am looking forward to seeing the gyroball at Shea, starting for the home team.

Sounds like jealousy over his money. Why do the fans care how much money he makes?

Also, well, I thought we were debating whether or not that perception of him was reasonable or not. We all understand that the perception exists, but giving a bit of an explanation for why it exists doesn't mean that it's correct. IMO.

The perception in these parts has nothing to do with how much money he makes or what kind of person he is. It has more to do with the fact that he seemed to either strike out or ground to third every time he got up in a big spot this year.

I'm almost positive that he'll go .320, 50 hr and 130 rbis whenever he goes next year, as long as it's not here.

Mets force Game 7! Believe? Ya gotta!

Gross. Looks like I'll be failing my Friday exam...

Oh, buck up. You have to like your chances, with Suppan going again.

Suppan vs. Oliver Perez in game 7 tonight. Go Cards...................................

Oh, buck up. You have to like your chances, with Suppan going again.

I liked my chances much, much better last night with Carpenter going. Suppan is radically inconsistent and you never want to play a game seven on the road, especially in New York.