Octoberquest 2006

I hate that argument, personally. You make it sound like Reyes and Wright are somehow special for hustling. Of course, I did forget that the Mets did lead the league in IPI (Intangibles Per Inning) this year, but really I'd say 99% of the people in the major or minor leagues are guys who love playing and hustle.

Well, frankly, I hate that argument too. I dont think anyone should be considered special for hustling. But the truth is, in today's game, hustling does set players apart. I dont think 99% of players "hustle" (but I know there is no way to measure something like that). And this may surprise you, but I have absolutely no problem with you suggesting that Uggla or Ramirez are just as good as Reyes or Wright in any category -- its very likely that they are just as good (if not better) when it comes to stats or ambassadorship or hustle or, as you put it so patronizingly, IPI. But when did I say otherwise? All I said is that Reyes and Wright are good guys and that I was surprised people could hate them. I never said that Uggla and Ramirez arent.

And that's why I dont hate the Marlins. They are a young and hungry team that plays their butts off. I like Uggla and I like Ramirez. I like Dontrelle and I am terrified of Cabrera. And I like to watch teams with players like them. I like baseball. Thats why I dont get that you hate the Mets. I have nothing against the Marlins. Although you are doing a darn good job these past few weeks of getting me close to changing my mind. :D

Maybe you should go hang out in the football thread -- weren't you predicting a huge season from the Dolphins and Ronnie Brown? Darn, well, I think there's a hockey thread around here somewhere too. :poke

:hug

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, frankly, I hate that argument too. I dont think anyone should be considered special for hustling. But the truth is, in today's game, hustling does set players apart. I dont think 99% of players "hustle" (but I know there is no way to measure something like that). And this may surprise you, but I have absolutely no problem with you suggesting that Uggla or Ramirez are just as good as Reyes or Wright in any category -- its very likely that they are just as good (if not better) when it comes to stats or ambassadorship or hustle or, as you put it so patronizingly, IPI. But when did I say otherwise? All I said is that Reyes and Wright are good guys and that I was surprised people could hate them. I never said that Uggla and Ramirez arent.

And that's why I dont hate the Marlins. They are a young and hungry team that plays their butts off. I like Uggla and I like Ramirez. I like Dontrelle and I am terrified of Cabrera. And I like to watch teams with players like them. I like baseball. Thats why I dont get that you hate the Mets. I have nothing against the Marlins. Although you are doing a darn good job these past few weeks of getting me close to changing my mind. :D

Maybe you should go hang out in the football thread -- weren't you predicting a huge season from the Dolphins and Ronnie Brown? Darn, well, I think there's a hockey thread around here somewhere too.

I don't really hate the Mets players, per se, but I do hate the team. I wouldn't mind Reyes or Wright if they played for, say, the Pirates. But since they play for an interdivisional rival, I am obligated to dislike them and say they are overrated.

It may not make sense, but does sport fanaticism really make sense?

Someone tell Marco Scutaro to quit being a pussy and take that beanie off. If all the Latino players from the tropics can deal with the cold, then he should be able to, too.

Also, I didn't realize that MLB allowed them to wear winter hats over their caps. I guess it isn't an issue very often.

Shawn Green is a fucking bum.

!@@$*&%^ (6^7 !!!!! (*&&)((#@$@#$ !

Boy, after all these years we sure do deserve this.

"Deserve"?!?!?

Tell that to a Cubs fan, a Rangers fan, or a Mariners fan. The Tigers won it all 22 short years ago. If they already "deserve" another trip to the World Series, there's truly no justice in the world.

Sorry ... I have problems with the word "deserve," and not just in a sporting context.

(Also: yes, I do loathe the Tigers. At least they beat the Yankees, one of the only two teams I despise more.)

I was not only speaking of going to the World Series but to actually having a competitive team. So if it makes you happy, Detroit "deserves" to have a winning season, which hasn't happend since '93. Only the Pirates have gone longer, I believe, and their last was in '92.

I can see being indifferent to the Tigers or hoping they lose, but loathe? Usually that is reserved for teams that have at least some success and we've been pretty harmless for about 20 years.

And of course the other teams you mentioned would be more than well deserving to make it to a World Series, as is any team that gets that far whoever they are.

I can see being indifferent to the Tigers or hoping they lose, but loathe? Usually that is reserved for teams that have at least some success and we've been pretty harmless for about 20 years.

Hey, that's what being sports fan is all about. I was raised a White Sox fan in Michigan, and the local media was all Tigers all the time. Those kinds of circumstances can quite naturally lead to loathing, and that loathing doesn't let up just because a team has a run of bad years.

Like any good American should, I hate the Yankees and Mets even more than the Tigers, but they're a not-too-distant third.

DETROIT (AP) -- Fox baseball broadcaster Steve Lyons has been fired for making a racially insensitive comment directed at colleague Lou Piniella's Hispanic heritage on the air during Game 3 of the American League championship series.

The network confirmed Saturday that Lyons was dismissed after Friday's comments. He has been replaced for the remainder of the series by Los Angeles Angels announcer Jose Mota.

"Steve Lyons has been relieved of his Fox Sports duties for making comments on air that the company found inappropriate," network spokesman Dan Bell said.

Lyons had been working in the booth for the ALCS alongside Thom Brennaman and Piniella.

A call to Lyons' cell phone was not immediately returned Saturday.

In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" -- hot in Spanish -- because he was currently "frio" -- or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Fox executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.

Piniella, approached before Saturday's Game 4, declined to comment on the situation except to say: "No, he's not here today."

This was not a first-time offense for Lyons, nicknamed "Psycho" during his nine-year big league career as a utilityman that ended in 1993 with the Boston Red Sox.

Hired when Fox began broadcasting baseball in 1996, Lyons was suspended without pay in late September 2004 after his remarks about Shawn Green of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Green is Jewish and elected not to play one of the two games at San Francisco that took place during the Yom Kippur holiday.

The network apologized for Lyons' remarks at the time.

Lyons, 46, was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBIs for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal. He was a first-round draft pick by the Red Sox, 19th overall, in 1981.

Disgraceful.

I don't have a really good feeling about Oliver Perez starting tomorrow. Omar has done a good job with the Mets, except, obviously, with the starting rotation.

I don't have a really good feeling about Oliver Perez starting tomorrow. Omar has done a good job with the Mets, except, obviously, with the starting rotation.

I don't have a really good feeling about Jaret Wright starting tomorrow. Brian has done a good job with the Yankees, except, obviously, with the starting rotation.

The similarities are eerie, don't you think?

I saw that story about Steve Lyons earlier. I don't think his comments were necessarily insensitive or racist--just kind of dumb. I guess that's the way it goes. I would much rather have him on board for the WS than any of the guys who will end up doing it though. Oh well.

I guess you could argue that Minaya didn't build great depth with the pitching, but he actually did a fine job with building a rotation if not for the injuries. That sort of thing is tough to plan for (although, granted, the two big injuries are to older vets, so not completely impossible to anticipate). Oliver Perez obviously isn't your #1 choice to have on the mound in the playoffs, but you could do worse.

The similarities are eerie, don't you think?

Don't put words in my mouth! ;-)

Yes, Jesus, perhaps the Mets have become the NL's version of the Yankees. But unless the Mets win the next 27 Series in a row, we'll never be on the same footing as the Yanks, unless the Yanks head down the toilet like they did from 1965-73 or in the '80s, though they were not a bad team at points in the '80s.

Can someone explain to me when Kenny Rogers became Sandy Koufax and Jeff Suppan turned into Bob Gibson? Baseball's just crazy.

Oh, and congrats again to the Tigers. That sweep at the hands of the Royals sure seems a long, long time ago.