Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Glavine was huge last night.

Bobbob - I am going to guess you hate when the mets win because of the fans? Its hard to hate this team -- its not like the yanks. By all accounts, this is a team of good guys (Reyes, Wright, Delgado, Beltran, Glavine). And yes, they have one of the higher payrolls, but they aren't crazy with it like the Yanks.

For what its worth, I was at the game last night, and there is nothing like being at a sold-out, flashbulbs flashing, electricity in the air, baseball playoff game. Its just a completely different level. And its wonderful. I was on sensory overload sitting there in the upper deck just waiting for the game to start. People in my section were jacked up.

One other tidbit from last night -- I believe strongly that opposing fans have the right to openly root for their team at games, but some idiot Cardinal fan was in our section taunting the entire section for the first 5 innings. He must have been loaded because he was threatening to fight everyone around him. He disappreared in the 7th inning or so. I have a feeling that was a good decision. He would have gotten a lot of shit if he was there when the game ended.

When you're a Cardinal fan, it is pretty easy to hate the Mets right now. But generally I have never found them very offensive.

When I was a Mets fan in the mid-80s, there was no bigger rival than the Cardinals. The Cardinals broke my heart in 85 and 87.

For what its worth, I was at the game last night, and there is nothing like being at a sold-out, flashbulbs flashing, electricity in the air, baseball playoff game. Its just a completely different level. And its wonderful. I was on sensory overload sitting there in the upper deck just waiting for the game to start. People in my section were jacked up.

When the Mets are winning, Shea is a fun place to be. When they're not.....eh, not so much. That's true of any stadium, of course, but part of my bandwagon-hopping this year came about after going to a couple games early in the summer when they were just starting to pull away in their division--and the crowd was electric and it was just a fun, fun place to watch some baseball. There has been a vibe all year that something special was happening, and its nice to see that continue into the playoff. Its really hard NOT to like this group of guys they've assembled.

No disrespect to Oakland or St. Louis fans, but something about a Tigers/Mets Series sounds awfully sweet.

When I was a Mets fan in the mid-80s, there was no bigger rival than the Cardinals. The Cardinals broke my heart in 85 and 87.
Luckily, I was 1 and 3 those years. I might have more hatred stored up if I was any older.
No disrespect to Oakland or St. Louis fans, but something about a Tigers/Mets Series sounds awfully sweet.

If that's the WS matchup, I'm guessing that Tim McCarver will comment on the fact that the two franchises both hold their league record for losses in a season at least 10-15 times per game. He will also claim that Dave Dombrowski and Jim Leyland have turned the Tigers around "beautily".

Yes, he got the job done. But I know exactly what you mean. That said, they're going home with a 2-0 lead and I have tickets for game 4. I'm getting a bit excited about the weekend. :cheers

this just happened to me and i'm leaving work right now and heading to the park. :dancing :dancing :cheers :dancing :cheers :dancing

eat em up tigers eat em up

Luckily, I was 1 and 3 those years. I might have more hatred stored up if I was any older.

I disagree... If you were any older, you probably wouldnt hate the Mets so much. Traditionally, the Cards have always beaten the Mets. Or, at least in my lifetime its been true. Back in 2000 was the first time that, in my life, the Mets bested the Cards. Seriously, I think I wept in 1985 and 1987 (age 9 and 11) when the Cards knocked the Mets out of the NL East race.

So, in my world, the Cards still have the advantage on the Mets historically. You shouldnt hate us. :P

I got my balls busted lastnight for saying the same thing,and I'm from St. Louis. :pirate

The thing is, Mets fans think themselves on a higher moral plane than Yankees fans, but to people elsewhere, we're all just assholes from New York.

The thing is, Mets fans think themselves on a higher moral plane than Yankees fans, but to people elsewhere, we're all just assholes from New York.

Although in our defense, and trust me I am not looking for sympathy here, we live in a town with the Yankees and their fans. I am a fan of a team that is playing in the NLCS and the back pages of every newspaper in town for the last 4-5 days have been covering (i) whether Torre will be fired; (ii) whether ARod will be traded; and (iii) Cory Lidle. And maybe even worse, if the Mets ever do win, all we hear is from the many more Yankee fans around us that "nice work, but 26 World CHampionships, baby!!!"

So its not easy being a Mets fan in NY. And it likely explains why we beat our chests rather loudly when in mixed company. We are the proverbial red-headed stepchild and sometimes, as a fan, you just want to talk trash without being held to a 26 World Championships standard.

Although in our defense, and trust me I am not looking for sympathy here, we live in a town with the Yankees and their fans. I am a fan of a team that is playing in the NLCS and the back pages of every newspaper in town for the last 4-5 days have been covering (i) whether Torre will be fired; (ii) whether ARod will be traded; and (iii) Cory Lidle. And maybe even worse, if the Mets ever do win, all we hear is from the many more Yankee fans around us that "nice work, but 26 World CHampionships, baby!!!"

So its not easy being a Mets fan in NY. And it likely explains why we beat our chests rather loudly when in mixed company. We are the proverbial red-headed stepchild and sometimes, as a fan, you just want to talk trash without being held to a 26 World Championships standard.

Yes. We are on a higher moral plane than Yankees fans, but only in the New York sports universe. My dad was a Giants fan - he was a little kid when Willie Mays ruled the Polo Grounds - and I spent the early '70s living next door to rabid Brooklyn Dodgers fans who had turned into rabid Mets fans. (As I type this, I am wearing my 1969 Mets road Seaver throwback.) And like all Mets fans, I have taken a passel of shit from Yankees fans over the years, so I don't have a hell of a lot of anything but schadenfreude for their woes.

I've certainly been annoyed by some Mets fans in my time, but they aren't nearly as bad as Yankees fans in my experience. Certainly far less cocky, and most of all, most Mets fans at least seem to be from New York. Not that Yankees fans who are actually from New York aren't plenty annoying, but I'm much more annoyed by people who aren't from New York who are Yankees fans, of which there are many. Doesn't seem to be the case with the Mets.

It would be pretty satisfying to see the Tigers beat both New York teams in the postseason to win it all.

I've certainly been annoyed by some Mets fans in my time, but they aren't nearly as bad as Yankees fans in my experience. Certainly far less cocky, and most of all, most Mets fans at least seem to be from New York. Not that Yankees fans who are actually from New York aren't plenty annoying, but I'm much more annoyed by people who aren't from New York who are Yankees fans, of which there are many. Doesn't seem to be the case with the Mets.

Yankees fans are so ubiquitous, nationwide, that when I first moved to the NY area I was somewhat surprised to discover that Mets fans actually existed. :P

Lets face it, the Yankees make it easy to be a fan--they win and they do it pretty consistently. And they've done a better job than any team in sports of building a mystique and mythology about them. Wearing a Yankees cap is as much a fashion-statement as it is a symbol of support for a favorite team--and that is part of what is so damned tiresome about it.

If you don't have a particular rooting interest in the playoff this year, its easy to feel happy for the fans who have suffered through years of mediocrity, or worse (Tigers), or simply are getting a rare chance to step out of the shadow of that other team in town (Mets). I think that's why I want to see that particular matchup in the WS. There's a certain Rodney Dangerfield aspect to it...it's nice to see 'em get some respect. :cheers

Bobbob - I am going to guess you hate when the mets win because of the fans? Its hard to hate this team -- its not like the yanks. By all accounts, this is a team of good guys (Reyes, Wright, Delgado, Beltran, Glavine). And yes, they have one of the higher payrolls, but they aren't crazy with it like the Yanks.

I think it's very easy to hate guys like Reyes, Wright, and Lo Duca since they among the more overrated players in the league, but no I do not hate them because of their players. I hate when they win because they are the Mets. I also hate when the Braves, Phillies, or Nationals win. I cannot support any team from my team's division.

I cannot support any team from my team's division.

Wouldnt having the world champs in your division de facto make your team look more impressive? A common criticism of good teams is that they are in bad divisions. Good teams in good divisions get so much more respect.

And we can argue another time about whether a leadoff guy with 194 hits, 19 triples, 19 HRs, 85 RBIs and 65 SBs with a gun of an arm can ever be overrated. But ignoring those stats for a moment (which I estimated), all I meant was that its hard to hate those "guys". By all accounts Reyes, Wright, etc. are really good guys who love playing, love hustling, and are good ambassadors for the game. Obnoxious Mets fans notwithstanding, and recognizing my obvious bias, I would think its hard to truly hate this team.

Now the Yanks on the other hand...

EDIT: I understand it in Sir/Mister Stew's case. If the team from the division is a bitter rival (e.g., Yanks/Sox), then fine. But its not like the Mets/Marlins are bitter rivals. If anything, I would think you'd want the Mets to win so that next year if/when you are predicted to have a good team, that you would get more respect by being in a division with the champs.

Edited by MattZ

It really is as simple as that. Any team you play 19 times a year and battle for a postseason spot with cannot got even an iota of your support, and should probably get a decent amount of ill will. An exception can be made for those teams that toil in mediocrity for long periods of time (The Nationals in the NL East or the Pirates, Brewers, Reds, or Cubs in the NL Central), but you have to stay on your toes in case they pull a Tigers and you have to immediately start hating them once more.

And we can argue another time about whether a leadoff guy with 194 hits, 19 triples, 19 HRs, 85 RBIs and 65 SBs with a gun of an arm can ever be overrated. But ignoring those stats for a moment (which I estimated), all I meant was that its hard to hate those "guys". By all accounts Reyes, Wright, etc. are really good guys who love playing, love hustling, and are good ambassadors for the game.

I hate that argument, personally. You make it sound like Reyes and Wright are somehow special for hustling. Of course, I did forget that the Mets did lead the league in IPI (Intangibles Per Inning) this year, but really I'd say 99% of the people in the major or minor leagues are guys who love playing and hustle. And the only reason a guy like Dan Uggla isn't as great an "ambassador" for the game has more to do with the fact that he doesn't play in New York City.

Derek Jeter doesn't try harder than Michael Young or Orlando Hudson, but those guys don't play in major media markets, so they haven't been oversaturated by ESPN and Sports Illustrated.

And we can argue about Jose Reyes being overrated right now. He steals bases at a 79% clip, and it is generally argued that if you are going to steal a base (and for the most part, most statisticians argue that it actually doesn't benefit the team) the absolute bare minimum for not hurting your team is 75%, so he's barely above that.

The main goal of a leadoff guy should be to get on base, right? Well, Reyes got on base at a .353 clip, which is decent, but for a leadoff man, it is below average. Consider that Hanley Ramirez, someone that nobody will say is the best leadoff guy in the league got on base at a .352 clip. And the leadoff man's job is to score runs, right? Well, he was 5th in the league in runs scored, but he was 2nd on his team, so I'd say he's not even the best choice as leadoff for his own team. The idea of a lead off guy only being a fast, bunting, slashing, no walks kind of guy is very outdated. I can personally attest to the fact that the reason the Marlins were so bad on offense 2 years ago was because Juan Pierre wasn't getting on base.