Octoberquest 2006

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigers/A's ALCS.......just like I had hoped for!

Way to go Tigers! :cheers

HAHA Yankees! HA!

--

Va Padres?? Are you for real? They aren't there yet.......the Cardinals will hopefully put some fire under it tomorrow and finish them off.

I do hope these guys break out the throwbacks for at least one game.

1972 ALCS

A Tigers/Padres series would be fun because it would be the same matchup as '84. Otherwise, I think the Padres are the least exciting playoff team in the NL, IMO. When the "A-Rod" chants turned into "A-Hole", that sure was fun.

That sure was fun tonight. I don't think I've had that much fun at a sporting event before. I'm all worn out from waving my Tigers Towel around.

Edited by MrRain422

Go As -- soley because of Frank Thomas.

Though I would worry that, should he win the WS with them, he would be punitive enough to go to the HOF as a A, not his rightful place as a white sox.

if i were him i'd make some concessions to get the hell out of NY before he has a nervous breakdown.

It won't be easy. When the Red Sox were pursuing him they tried to get him to restructure his contract, but the players' union and MLB wouldn't allow it. For him to leave NY, much of it will be up to the Yankees and how much of his contract they are willing to eat.

I'm so sick of all the crap A-rod gets. How has he ruined that team? Is he pitching poorly? Is he making the team make bad signings? Is he purposefully injuring Carl Pavano?

No.

Also, Ken Rosenthal said that there's a possibility the Yankees and Marlins may make a deal to get A-Rod out of NYC if the Marlins will give up Dontrelle. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I do hope these guys break out the throwbacks for at least one game.

1972 ALCS

That would be very cool.I remember watching that series as a ute.You know what the most amazing stat is about those box scores? Paid attendance in Oakland.The A's of '72 were at the beginning of their 3 year run as World Champs,arguably one of the best teams of all-time (at least my lifetime).They played in a 50,000 seat stadium,and during the AL Championship Series they draw 29K & 30K at home!

If that were to happen now,a team would move somewhere else so fast it wouldn't even be funny.

I'm so sick of all the crap A-rod gets. How has he ruined that team? Is he pitching poorly? Is he making the team make bad signings? Is he purposefully injuring Carl Pavano?

No.

Also, Ken Rosenthal said that there's a possibility the Yankees and Marlins may make a deal to get A-Rod out of NYC if the Marlins will give up Dontrelle. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

A-Rod is bitch. You make $25 million a year, you have no business sucking in the playoffs as hard as he has.

And if the Detroit-Yankees series proves anything, it's that good pitching stops good hitting. Always.

Oh, and:

METS.jpg

:wave

Seriously, I hope you don't really bail from this board. But it sure is fun to see people eat their words.

Nah, I can't stay away.

Luckily, I had a family reunion today (no tv's anywhere), so I got to miss the disaster. Congrats to the Tigers, though. Glad you got to see it, Mr Rain. :thumbup

Was just thinking on the long drive home why music is better than sports. Music never lets you down. :music

Special thanks to M. Ward for making the drive home an enjoyable one.

(See, if I left this board I'd never hear about these amazing artists that you guys turn me on to). :D

Oh, and the Yankees would trade A-Rod for Willis straight up and pay A-Rod's salary for the next 5 years.

A-Rod is bitch. You make $25 million a year, you have no business sucking in the playoffs as hard as he has.

And if the Detroit-Yankees series proves anything, it's that good pitching stops good hitting. Always.

The dude's got a .927 OPS in the postseason. Give him a break. It's not his fault they wanted to pay him that much. If you were offered 25 million dollars to edit a newspaper, you wouldn't turn it down on the fear that you wouldn't make effective enough use of white space. You would take it and run, and to criticize him for it is wrong.

Oh, and the Yankees would trade A-Rod for Willis straight up and pay A-Rod's salary for the next 5 years.

I'd take that and pencil the Marlins into the playoffs for the next 5 years.

Heads were likely to roll after the Yankees were eliminated from the postseason by the Tigers, but the opening odds were on Alex Rodriguez going first, not Joe Torre.

According to the New York Daily News, however, the popular Yankees manager will be fired unless he decides to resign first to save face. Sources told the newspaper that former Yankees player and manager Lou Piniella will be owner George Steinbrenner's choice to replace Torre.

After winning the World Series in four of his first five seasons, Torre has weathered many storms since then, but Saturday's 8-3 loss left him emotional as he pondered his future in the Bronx.

"We felt pretty good about ourselves," Torre told the Daily News. "But again, that's something for [general manager Brian Cashman] and I and other people to talk about. But right now, it's just ..." and choking back tears, he concluded "... it's just tough."

Cashman and most of the front office employees are expected to keep their jobs, the Daily News reported.

Several Yankees players told MLB.com that they would be surprised to see Torre go.

"That's pretty drastic," outfielder Johnny Damon was quoted as saying by the Web site. "Joe has been awesome. You never know what's going to happen, but I think Joe should be safe. For all he's done and had to put up with, he's been incredible."

Cashman dismissed the idea of either Torre or Rodriguez leaving, telling MLB.com, "Why wouldn't they be coming back? That's not something that I'm even thinking about."

Piniella has been rumored to be in contention for the open positions with the Washington Nationals and Chicago Cubs. He last managed the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to a fifth-place finish in 2005. Piniella began his managerial career with the Yankees in 1986. That team finished second in the AL East, the best result of his three seasons in the Bronx.

Piniella went on to win the World Series as skipper of the Cincinnati Reds in 1988, however. After three years with the Reds, he managed the Seattle Mariners from 1993-2002 and the Devil Rays for the next three seasons.

Torre has won more than 1,000 games as manager of the Yankees, but after beating the Mets in the 2000 World Series, the Yankees have fallen short of always high expectations despite having the highest payroll in baseball.

Torre has one season and $7 million left on his contract.

Maybe instead of firing Torre, they could not sign retarded contracts like the combined 19 million a year they are paying Pavano and Wright.

1. A-Rod has seriously underperformed the last two years in the ALDS. He does not deserve all the blame, to be sure, but as he's hyped as perhaps the greatest player of all time, his failure to be that player in the postseason has made him the second coming of Dave Winfield.

2. Money is not relevant to the Yankees. If anyone has a license to print money, that franchise does. What does matter to Kaiser George is results.

3. Why did they not pitch Wang on three days' rest?

4. You have no idea about the existential angst I suffer as a journalist.

The dude's got a .927 OPS in the postseason. Give him a break. It's not his fault they wanted to pay him that much. If you were offered 25 million dollars to edit a newspaper, you wouldn't turn it down on the fear that you wouldn't make effective enough use of white space. You would take it and run, and to criticize him for it is wrong.

Bobbo, there's nothing wrong with taking what you're offered. Nobody made the Rangers offer ARod a ridiculous contract (10 X fucking $25M?), but when he took it, he goddamn well better have performed. I'm one of those who thinks he's gotten an unfair shake in New York (especially since the Rangers are still paying a huge chunk of that salary), but he has absolutely failed the last two postseasons. To say so is an objective criticism, and not colored at all by the fact that he makes a lot of money. 2-15 (2005) and 1-14 (2006) is pretty damn bad.

Congrats to the Tigers and their fans. Always wonderful to see the Yanks collapse in the post season (as has been their custom since 2004). This to me is second only to their collapse against the Sawx in 04. I love the fact that Georgie boy is probably turning purple and having a fit right now.

I think this proves that A-Rod is in fact an over rated blow hard. Sure he puts up big numbers but he doesn't in the post season. You can all trot out the numbers etc, etc, etc but the fact is he has done nothing in his last 3 playoff series. Nothing.

Anyways go Tigers.....I would like to see them take the whole thing. Be a nice trend to continue....04 the Sox, 05 the Chisox, 06 the Tigers. Nice to see "old" teams winning the World Series.

Oh yeah Fuck New York....enjoy the off season.

I figured the Yankees were in for a big rebuilding sometime soon. They are too old and too expensive to compete every year.

And if the Yankees want to trade A-Rod +4 million a year for Willis I will take that and run with it. Alex will return to being the 50 home run a year threat he was before he got to New York (Nevermind that he hit 48 homers last year), and he'll excel in front of the 2,000 fans every night. Even if they booed, he couldn't hear them. It's a match made in heaven.

I had to add a cable splitter and an extra tv to my livingroom so I can watch the Pads and Chargers play at the same time (thanks fox), but it'll be worth it for Woody here to beat the Cards

06WilliamsWoodyStudioPlus.jpg

BRISTOL, CT--Even though the National League somehow managed to send four teams into the 2006 MLB postseason, baseball experts said Monday that it is "unlikely" that any of them will advance past the second round of the playoffs. "The Mets, Dodgers, Padres, and Cardinals have serious pitching issues, almost zero offense, and have played terribly down the stretch," ESPN analyst Buster Olney said. "However, they each luckily drew a first-round opponent that is similarly ill-fitted for postseason play, so we may see one or two emerge from the first round. But as for the World Series--not a chance." Experts went on to predict that it will "probably be another Yankees-Red Sox World Series this year."

best postgame celebration ever?

congrats Tigers, keep it going...

man a Tigers vs. Padres series would be magical, but i'd take a Tigers vs. Mets series too

absolutly amazing yesterday. friday and saturday were two of the best events i ever attended. rogers performance on friday more then made up for missing the wilco show in east lansing on friday. and on saturday i was standing next to reggie jackson as he tried to get through the tiger den to his seats.

tigerswin1008.jpg

Edited by paulgermain