The album only has 11 songs

Can someone explain to me why LPs that come out these days -- for what seem to be standard-length albums -- almost inevitably come out as double LPs? Modern Times, YHF, etc? Why? Why do I get Poor Places and Reservations as the only two songs that they can fit on a side? We arent talking about Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands here.

Is the average album longer than it used to be even though the number of tracks remains the same/similar? Are these new LPs made with a higer fidelity than the old(er) ones? That seems unlikely to me because I dont think todays LPs sound any better than older LPs.

What gives? I think double LPs should be reserved for double LPs -- you know, The White Album, Electric Ladyland, Being There, etc. Heck, didnt Jeff insist on Being There being a double album because a double album meant something to him. Why the heck is Dylan's new album a double LP???

Are you talking vinyl?

If so, maybe they're making the grooves wider these days to appeal to the vinyl-has-higher-fidelity crowd.

well, they can't fit it on one usually,

Right, but why not? There didnt seem to be a problem 30 years ago fitting albums on one LP. And as for wider grooves, again, why? What is/was wrong with the grooves on older records? The bias towards vinyl among audiophiles was developed with those older records. So, obviously, those older records sounded fine. Why the move to these wider grooves?

length and sound quality. of all the older records i have, they're all about 30-40 minutes long. Wilco last two records were about 52 and 67 minutes long. If today's vinyl records sound better, why would we go back to the way they sounded 30, 40 years ago? Behold progress.

Edited by tongue-tied
If today's vinyl records sound better, why would we go back to the way they sounded 30, 40 years ago?

I suppose that answers my question. My point was that I dont hear any vast difference in these new records (except that they arent scratched up). If the answer is that the wider grooves/newer records sound better, ok, thats the answer I was looking for... Gracias.

I suppose that answers my question. My point was that I dont hear any vast difference in these new records (except that they arent scratched up). If the answer is that the wider grooves/newer records sound better, ok, thats the answer I was looking for... Gracias.

its got to be wider grooves, because technically 12" LPs at 33 1/3 can hold 30 minutes or so per side... so YHF could fit on one LP

My point was that I dont hear any vast difference in these new records (except that they arent scratched up).

that also depends on how good your turntable setup is.

a friend of mine is a dj (or dj wannabee, i should say). i took some LPs to his joint one day and they sounded much better than what i have at home

Yeah I dunno its weird. I think it could have something to do w/ the artist or records companies descision. I mean Sebadoh's 19 track album Harmacy is just one LP but Gastr Del Sol's Upgrade and Afterlife 7 track LP is a double. I'm not quite sure on the total times tho.

Edited by HighFives

Basically you have to understand how the records work.

When a record is recorded, a bass wave takes up more space in a groove than trebles. So if you want good of bass, the record needs to have less music per side. It was decided that the best length for rock music was as close to 20 minutes per side as possible. For the rap records they play in clubs ( :yucky ) 10-12 minutes is all they want on those (more bass can be put on it)

So back in the day, most single albums were around 40-45 minutes. But the artists started pushing this time length with the invention of cds, and so at first they began cramming music on there. For instance I have neil young's weld on vinyl which has a little over 30 minutes of music per side. But this record has little bass, and is noisy. to get it to sound right you have to add some eq, and it is still noisy.

But also if you look at Bob Dylan's Early records, Freewheelin', Another side, times they are a changin', those are 55 minutes. But a record with bob dylan strumming an acoustic guitar doesnt need the bass response.

The majority of new albums are made to be 60-70 minutes long. If you want good fidelity on vinyl, you must use two records.