Demo versions of Wilco songs

Guest tandylacker

Guest tandylacker

The demo versions of Summerteeth are fun to listen to. Some, if not most, sound better than the actual Summerteeth album. I feel we kind of missed out on Summerteeth not getting the best version of Pieholden Suite, She's A Jar, My Darling, Tried and True, etc. (in my opinion by the way)...

But with the YHF demos, a completely different story... Some of the worst Wilco songs ever on the YHF demos and most the songs really aren't worth a damn. A Magazine Called Sunset, the different versions of Heavy Metal Drummer, Nothing Up My Sleeve and probably 1 or 2 others seem to be the only good ones among the 35 to 40 YHF demo songs.

Did we narrowly avoid getting one of the worst Wilco studio albums ever? Were these demo versions actually considered for the album or just released for fun to show possibilities?

If they were truly contenders, then I say yikes!

Anybody have demos for AGIB or Being There?

Anybody have demos for AGIB or Being There?

closest thing you can get to A Ghost is Born demos, is the CD that came with the Wilcobook

there are no Being There demos. they pretty much recorded over the same tapes until they got what they wanted.

You realize, tandylacker, that these are demos, intended to be "finalized" in the the studio.

Additionally, the reason why the YHF that we know and love today sounds the way it does (that is, different than the demos) is due to the firing of Bennett and the subsequent O'Rourke mastering of the project.

I really enjoy both sets of demos, ST and YHF, and see them both as interesting conversations in the development of their work.

Additionally, the reason why the YHF that we know and love today sounds the way it does (that is, different than the demos) is due to the firing of Bennett and the subsequent O'Rourke mastering of the project.

The album was completed before Jay left. Also, Jim O'Rourke was brought in while Jay was still in the band, to mix the album, not master it.

But with the YHF demos, a completely different story... Some of the worst Wilco songs ever on the YHF demos and most the songs really aren't worth a damn. A Magazine Called Sunset, the different versions of Heavy Metal Drummer, Nothing Up My Sleeve and probably 1 or 2 others seem to be the only good ones among the 35 to 40 YHF demo songs.

I really like alot of the demo songs. Cars Can't Escape, Magazine Called Sunset, The Good Part, Venus Stop the train etc. They would not fit on YHF but I still love them

I personally really enjoy the YHF demos. I enjoy hearing the different versions of some of the songs on the album. I agree with run run run, those are some GREAT tracks....not necessarily fitting for YHF but very good none the less.

Yeah, I'd say I like the YHF demos plenty. I haven't had the benifit of hearing the ST demos just yet, but I'd like to get my hands on them.

I also think that's really interesting about Being There, I'd never heard that before-- personally, I could never do that. Not only do I have this obsession with multiple arrangements and versions of songs, I'm also compulsive the way I collect things and rarely ever get rid of them. I've got recordings and documents from years ago I don't delete, despite how much I'm embarassed of them now.