Some info on an upcoming tribute to The Band

The only one I thought really worth the price was the Leonard Cohen "I'm Your Fan", but that was from a byegone era when not every artist/album got a tribute. That hasn't stopped me from actually buying many of them anyway when the price is right (meaning cheap....)

LouieB

I have the Gram Parson one (bought it because Whiskeytown/Wilco is on it) and The Nebraska one (bought it because Jay Farrar is on it. Other than that, I have no desire to buy such things.

I don't think anyone could ever capture the feel and groove of the first two Band albums.

I'd say no one could ever capture the feel of any Band album, since I do believe Stage Fright to be close to a masterpiece, and Northern Lights-Southern Cross is pretty incredible too. I would hope no one would want to (with the exception of maybe 4 or 5 tunes) capture the feel of Cahoots.

I just cant get into covers. I cant do it. The original versions are (almost) always so much better that it makes listening to covers too annoying. Why am I listening to Jakob Dylan singing Whispering Pines when I can hear perfection and listen to Richard Manuel do it?

Yeah, I have to agree.

The ones I've listened to are just straight-down-the-line pedestrian covers. There's nothing daring. The best thing about it are the song choices themselves - Unfaithful Servant, Whispering Pines, Bessie Smith. If you've never heard The Band I would suggest skipping this and buying their first two albums today.

I just cant get into covers. I cant do it. The original versions are (almost) always so much better that it makes listening to covers too annoying. Why am I listening to Jakob Dylan singing Whispering Pines when I can hear perfection and listen to Richard Manuel do it?

Try Kelly Hogan's version.

The was a decent tribute CD for Neil Young / Bridge

Good version of Alfter the Goldrush from............cant remember but it was an Alt type band.

The Flaming Lips!

yeah that tribute rules. The Pixies "Winterlong" is aces too

I have the Gram Parson one (bought it because Whiskeytown/Wilco is on it) and The Nebraska one (bought it because Jay Farrar is on it. Other than that, I have no desire to buy such things.

Yea, I have both the Parson's tribute albums, which are of varying quality too. the Nebraska tribute ain't so hot. I have a Tom Waits tribute that is nothing short of deadful.

LouieB

The problem with these covers is that they don't add anything. Covers can be good if they're done as an interpretation instead of a half-assed tribute. Chris Whitley's album Perfect Day is pretty much a perfect example of this. Some of the best Dylan covers I've ever heard are on that album.

Chris Whitley's album Perfect Day is pretty much a perfect example of this. Some of the best Dylan covers I've ever heard are on that album.
Should I buy this?? Amazon has a copy for $1.25...... :lol

LouieB

It's kind of hard to compare any feeling to that of Rick Danko,but yes I do agree it's a noble effort.I feel ashamed in covering others' songs but my soul comes out on my own tunes,a cover is just what it says.I do wish they would of spent more time researhing bands that should have had the honor of tributing such a legendary band,hell I love Gomez,but geez,that's just plain awful,no justification. :hmm