so, i'm a relatively new guitar player, and i have a lot of trouble tuning my guitar to anything other than the standard E A D G B E. The tuner I have is a Qwik Tune cheap piece of shit that has the little dial that tells you when the string is centered on one of those notes. What I really want is an electronic tuner that can pick up a note and tell you exactly what it is. That way it would be much easier for me to tune to other keys. Does such a thing exist?

so, i'm a relatively new guitar player, and i have a lot of trouble tuning my guitar to anything other than the standard E A D G B E. The tuner I have is a Qwik Tune cheap piece of shit that has the little dial that tells you when the string is centered on one of those notes. What I really want is an electronic tuner that can pick up a note and tell you exactly what it is. That way it would be much easier for me to tune to other keys. Does such a thing exist?

Plenty of ones that will do that, you just want a chromatic tuner - two popular versions for stage use are the Boss TU-2 and the Korg DT-10. People with a ton of money or who really require super accurate tuning like the Peterson Strobostomp.

If you don't need a stage tuner for live work, something like the Korg CA30 should work fine and is a lot cheaper.

I've got one that just clamps onto the headstock and picks up the vibes. It's awesome, especially when you're jamming, you can just turn yourself down and tune, but I guess you can do that with the other ones. Anyways, the headstock ones are cool and space-agey.

I've got one that just clamps onto the headstock and picks up the vibes. It's awesome, especially when you're jamming, you can just turn yourself down and tune, but I guess you can do that with the other ones. Anyways, the headstock ones are cool and space-agey.

Good call - I was thinking electric guitar - it's easy to plug into any of the ones I mentioned above. But but those headstock ones are especially perfect for an acoustic with no pickup, especially if tuning in a noisy room.

Those tuners bug the heck out of me. For standard tunings, they work great but anything that differs from standard tuning, even Drop D freaks that thing out. So, if you ever use alternate tunings, look for another tuner. That being said, I do infact own a GA-30 and use it daily.

i'm going to try one of the korg ones (cost $30). i only have an acoustic, or otherwise i'd get a floor tuner.

:no

do this - the few extra bucks are worth it. if you ever play with other people, it can be hard to demand total silence while you try and tune with a GA30.

Those tuners bug the heck out of me. For standard tunings, they work great but anything that differs from standard tuning, even Drop D freaks that thing out. So, if you ever use alternate tunings, look for another tuner. That being said, I do infact own a GA-30 and use it daily.

Exactly.

And you actually ahve to replace the batteries.

i have an old korg dtr-1 (similar to dt-10) that not only handles alt tunings VERY well, but also shows every note (sharps and flats) and can do strobe tuning. i got it used for $75. that said, if i didn't get that sweet deal, i'd certainly use a boss tu-2.