Wrong forum. I moved it for you. :)

Did you know that Varnaline guy is from Poughkeepsie?

Just got back from the Austin show. Anders opened with a really good solo set and then Jay killed it with some old and new songs. Then Gob Iron played their whole cd and it sounded fantastic. Everyone should definitly pick up the cd.

The guy next to me said he talked to the soundboard girl and said Jay took 3 hours to soundcheck and then they rehersed for a few more all the way up until 9:00. Can't say I'm suprised :D

Time for some :beer

Oh and Jay played guitar, bass, piano, and drums...

Just got back from the Austin show. Anders opened with a really good solo set and then Jay killed it with some old and new songs. Then Gob Iron played their whole cd and it sounded fantastic. Everyone should definitly pick up the cd.

The guy next to me said he talked to the soundboard girl and said Jay took 3 hours to soundcheck and then they rehersed for a few more all the way up until 9:00. Can't say I'm suprised :D

Time for some :beer

Oh and Jay played guitar, bass, piano, and drums...

What do you mean "and then Jay killed it" was Jay bad - or do you not like his solo stuff? Just curious...

Anyone see the Park West show?

Thanks.

LouieB

It was great. Small crowd, maybe 80-120. I wasn't surprised based on the newness of the record, the unfamiliar moniker, and that lack of press/publicity for the show. And the fact that it was a Sunday night.

But I digress...

AP's set was killer. I'm not familiar with his work, but he mentioned about halfway through that all the songs were off the new record. I must get it, posthaste. Mark Spencer accompanied and was outstanding.

JF's set was killer. 2 Son Volt songs [bandages and Scars, Afterglow 61, oh, and Gramaphone too, I think (damn booze)], several songs that will be on the early '07 Son Volt record, 2 from Sebastopol [Feel Free, Vitamins]. I might be forgetting something... Mark Spencer accompanies - great.

Gob Iron set: Death's Black Train, Hard Times, Hills of Mexico, Wayside Tavern, Silicosis Blues, Nicotine Blues, Death is Only a Dream, Buzz & Grind.

Encores: [no particular order] Going, Going, Gone; Heaven [Talking Heads cover]; Out on the Road [off Terroir Blues, an amped up rock n' roll version with wailing guitar].

All in all an outstanding evening. I'd get to one of these shows if you get the chance. All 3 took turns on drums, bass, piano/organ. It had a loose, bunch-of-musicians-screwing-around feel to it even though it was clearly well rehearsed. It sounds great. The Gob Iron record is great, and judging from the new songs the new Son Volt record will be outstanding.

DO IT NOW!

All three sets were really, really good. We got there at 7:30-just as Anders was starting and were able to sit right in the front row. It was too bad that there wasn't a larger crowd-we almost didn't go ourselves-Sunday night, tired, I'm big and pregnant-but we are glad we did. I think there is some kind of weeknight noise ordinance in the neighborhood because they finished up at 10pm sharp. We saw Neil Finn there on a Sunday night in 2002 and it was the same thing. If anyone has a chance to catch them, definitely do it.

• 2 weeks later...
It was great. Small crowd, maybe 80-120.
Damn, that is small even for the Park West. Lately so much has been going on in Chicago that small shows have abounded. (Not for the hot acts though....but then Gob Iron and Jay Farrar are hardly hot.)
Damn, that is small even for the Park West. Lately so much has been going on in Chicago that small shows have abounded. (Not for the hot acts though....but then Gob Iron and Jay Farrar are hardly hot.)

It was weird, but it made for a very cool, chill environment. I knew it would be small - there was no press/advertisement and it's an unfamiliar 'brand'. I'm just glad they toured behind the record at all, as it was recorded during 2 days of an aborted Son Volt recording session. Lemonade out of lemons, that sort of thing.