Notes On a Scandal

Wonderful piece of work! Judi Dench was mesmerizing; she even managed to cool my long-running Cate Blanchett crush (who was still great). The story was much richer than the ad campaign made me expect. Complex relationships and high tension. Big ups to Bill Nighy too, who has always impressed me, but went above anything else I'd seen him in.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes On a Scandal

Wonderful piece of work! Judi Dench was mesmerizing; she even managed to cool my long-running Cate Blanchett crush (who was still great). The story was much richer than the ad campaign made me expect. Complex relationships and high tension. Big ups to Bill Nighy too, who has always impressed me, but went above anything else I'd seen him in.

What did you make of the musical score? Philip Glass is a polarizing composer, but in general I like his stuff, and here I thought it was essential to establishing the strangely menacing tone of the movie. It was like hearing a noir soundtrack accidentally put into a kitchen-sink drama--I dug it.

I just finished watching Twitch City (the complete series) on DVD. Soooo funny!

I had forgotten all the great little details and in-jokes - like when Nathan gives his cellmate a book of Leonard Cohen poems. (Also love the Sloan cameo.)

i'm struggling through this - dont see what the fuss is and why everyone seems to love it. pretty slow and becomes predictable after a while. lucky i borrowed it off a friend and didnt buy it :lol apparently its better than the american version even

222262.jpg

You will never get back the time you have just wasted watching that fat, unfunny prick. Toss!

For the Brits here, I have just finished watching the season finale of Shameless. Shark. Jumped. I will not be back for a new series if it comes back. The whole life of the series,The Gallaghers, has been ripped from the show and replaced by the gruesome Maguires. Terrible season.

What did you make of the musical score? Philip Glass is a polarizing composer, but in general I like his stuff, and here I thought it was essential to establishing the strangely menacing tone of the movie. It was like hearing a noir soundtrack accidentally put into a kitchen-sink drama--I dug it.

I didn't like it! I said in the theater afterward that it was the only thing about the movie I didn't enjoy. From the first scene I was thinking Holy shit this music is in the way! To be fair, when I saw P. Glass's credit in the opening, I pricked up my ears, preparing to try not to be annoyed.

Watched bits and pieces of Nick of Time last night, and I don't have much to say about what I saw other than it was possibly made in an alternate universe where Johnny Depp will always be the kid from 21 Jump Street and his career is about one level above Richard Grieco's.

i just rented it. but it's long for a sunday night and I was trying to decide if I wanted to bother of push it off for some other weekend.

will it potentially alter my misanthropic nature (i.e. change my life?)

i just rented it. but it's long for a sunday night and I was trying to decide if I wanted to bother of push it off for some other weekend.

will it potentially alter my misanthropic nature (i.e. change my life?)

I think you can safely push it off for some other time. I dunno... I felt like, for all the technical and narrative virtuosity on display, it never really added up to much. It's worth seeing, surely, but it seems unlikely to change anyone's life. Can movies even do that?

Well, I was using some ironic understatement (it's my thing). Of course I think movies can matter in our lives. Certain ones, at least. Babel didn't mean a whole lot to me, but maybe it will to you. It seems to affect plenty of people deeply. (I liked his earlier Amores Perros a lot more. Did you see that one?)

We watched The Departed tonight. Pretty good movie, and everyone will be happy to note that I thought Leonardo DiCaprio's performance was excellent.

Watched The Departed last weekend, one of the best movies I have seen in awhile. Totally agree with you about Leo's performance, not so much impressed with Matt Damon's.