Bad Brains Back In Business

On-again/off-again rock act Bad Brains appears to be on once more. After being asked to kick off the final week of shows at CBGB with a trio of sold-out performances, the original Bad Brains line-up of singer H.R., guitarist Dr. Know, bassist Darryl Jenifer and drummer Earl Hudson has been jumpstarted.

"It was tremendous," Dr. Know tells Billboard.com of the performances. "We hadn't played in that place in a long, long time. Did you see the DVD [the recently released 'Live at CBGB's 1982']? That sh*t was like that [laughs]! There was so much friends and family -- it was a bit much, actually. It was really an honor and a privilege to have so many good friends and see them all. We were back together for a week; we hadn't been together for a long time."

Tying in with the recent flurry of activity is a long-in-the-works, as-yet-untitled studio album produced by the Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch. The set should see the light of day next spring. "The lawyers are finishing up the last little tidbits of it," Dr. Know says.

"There's a lot of dubs and there's some old school-meets-new school Brains," he continues. "Not moderate tempo, but fast tempo. Yauch said, 'Man, I want y'all to do some old school-type sh*t,' so we did it like that." Song titles for the rock tracks include "It's All Rock'n'Roll" and "Let There Be Light," while the dub songs include "Article" and "Kingdom Come." The wait for a follow-up shouldn't be long, either. "I want to start working on the next one, because we did that one two years ago already," he says.

Beyond the aforementioned "Live at CBGB" DVD, the group is mulling additional archival releases. Up for consideration next is vintage footage shot by a friend of the band of Bad Brains playing with the Circle Jerks, Living Colour and Leeway.

Dr. Know also hopes to get a head start on his first solo album soon. "I want to sit down this winter and start hashing her out," he offers. "I've got a few little riffs working, but I want to sit down and perfect them. Put some people together, and record them up. There's going to be total, crazy special guests -- whoever I can get. A lot of people said they would participate -- Flea, Mos [Def], the Living Colour guys, Darryl, Earl and H.R."

billboard.com

I can't imagine HR is sane enough to front a regularly recording/touring version of Bad Brains. I hope I'm wrong. More archival footage being released is a very good thing, though.

I also wish I could find a picture of him from last month's CBGB show, wearing a motorcycle helmet and looking like a grade A wingnut.

I don't think they're saying HR is on the new studio album. The original Bad Brains lineup for the CB's shows wasn't even announced until two weeks before they happened. I doubt he'd be doing any kind of touring with them either.

Here ya go, seannie.

12.jpg

When I first saw the picture I thought he had somehow got ahold of an astronaut helmet.

I don't think they're saying HR is on the new studio album. The original Bad Brains lineup for the CB's shows wasn't even announced until two weeks before they happened. I doubt he'd be doing any kind of touring with them either.

poop

Me neither. One time when Al saw them a few years ago it was like HR was playing a different show than the band. I guess he started out okay for the first song and then he sat down on the floor and started reciting poetry and spouting nonsense until the band gave up and left the stage.

Come to think of it - I think these dudes were in last year's Vanity Fair music issue.

:blink

Never is a million years would I have speculated that you would read Vanity Fair...you always seemed like a Mother Jones kinda guy to me.

:D

:blink

Never is a million years would I have speculated that you would read Vanity Fair...you always seemed like a Mother Jones kinda guy to me.

:D

I buy the music issue - it has long articles in it - like the good old days.

• 5 months later...

Official press release:

The first proper Bad Brains studio album in over a decade, "Build A Nation," is now scheduled to arrive in stores on June 26, 2007 via Megaforce Records. The album features all the original members of the group: HR, Darryl Jenifer, Dr. Know and Earl Hudson.

Produced by long-time fan, Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys, Build A Nation is a return to form for the band that helped define American Punk and Hardcore music. It also represents the first studio album, outside Beastie Boys albums, to be recorded at the Beastie Boys' Oscilloscope Laboratories and studio compound in New York City. "This album started in my studio with primal, classic Bad Brains intentions," commented bassist Darryl Jenifer. "I told Adam I was thinking about a new Brains' record, then Adam said 'Word! You should let me produce that shit, son! I'll smoke those other cats that tried to produce y'all. I'll make you sound real!' I said 'Word!' And the rest is history," continued Jenifer. "Adam took it in a direction that captured the S/T vibe, but with an honest, modern touch."

"The Brains are one of most powerful and unique bands in the world," stated Adam Yauch. "They have been a huge influence on me, and it was an honor to work with them on this record."

Considered by many to be the "holy grail" of punk rock, the Bad Brains iconic legacy is best defined by their frenetic and legendary live shows. They are one of the definitive American punk groups who garner the same respect as the Sex Pistols, Black Flag, The Clash, and The Ramones. They brought a new dimension to music by melding punk and reggae into an innovative style that has yet-to-be copied. Build A Nation returns the band to their early roots with a raw, analog-driven chaotic album.

"The thing about a lot of punk is the feeling that bands have is of apathy and hopelessness. Whereas Bad Brains lyrical content had a lot of hope in it," commented Billy Joe Armstrong of Green Day.

A Bad Brains worldwide tour will commence around the release, including several major festival appearances both in the USA and Europe. Sasquatch Festival on May 27 will see both Bad Brains and Beastie Boys take the stage. Details will be announced shortly.

Build A Nation Sequence:

01. Give Thanks And Praises

02. Jah People Make The World Go Round

03. Pure Love

04. Natty Dreadlocks 'Pon The Mountain Top

05. Build A Nation

06. Expand Your Soul

07. Jah Love

08. Let There Be Angels (Just Like You)

09. Universal Peace

10. Roll On

11. Until Kingdom Comes

12. In The Beginning

13. Send You No More Flowers

14. Peace Be Unto Thee

Reading that stuff makes me very excited that this could be a huge return to form, but then I kinda remember the last few Bad Brains studio albums, and HR standing almost motionless while wearing a motorcycle helmet during their final CBGB shows, etc., and then I just hope this doesn't totally suck.

Y'know, there was, pre-Paul's Boutique, like summer of '88, a blurb in SPIN magazine about a band consisting of Yauch, HR and Daryl Jenifer. I remember a b&w press pic of them, even. Yauch laughing his head off in it. I have not heard one thing about this project since.

• 2 weeks later...

I just listened to some of Build a Nation, and musically the comparisons to their early stuff aren't that far off. Dr. Know, Darryl, and Earl actually sound really good...not as good as the ROIR tape or Rock For Light, but not bad at all. Way better than what I was expecting.

Too bad they don't have a functioning singer anymore. Christ, HR's vocals on this are awful. I don't expect him to have the same power at 50 that he did at 24, but his singing on this is pure crap.