Chicago Openers

I just got the Califone album this past weekend and havent liked an album that much on first listen in a long long time. Reminded me a lot of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

I find that the album must be listened to through my home stereo with good headphones though. Its a completely different (and not nearly as good album) when it plays through my mp3 player or my car stereo. So many of the little things get lost.

I like them both. However, I would have to say that Detholz > Califone, especially live. The Detholz are usually pretty incredible live. They're one of the tightest bands I've ever seen.

Yea, their def. one of my favorite openers i've ever seen, Always wanted to catch them doing a longer set

Detholz! has more of an entertaining stage presence. For example, I remember in Kalamazoo when opening for Wilco, the keyboard player did a little jig while standing playing his keyboards. They reminded me of Oingo Boingo when I first saw them.

Califone, on the other hand, are in no way anything like that. They are much more serious on stage and concentrating on the more intricate nuanced performance. Tim Rutili will sit down for some songs. It might appear boring to someone who likes more theatrics on stage.

I personally prefer Califone's sound to Detholz!' sound. A great GREAT deal more. I, too, think Roots and Crowns is gorgeous and agree with everything MattZ said above. :thumbup

And I'm going to see them tonight in Cleveland!!! :w00t Can't wait :)