My day just keeps getting better. :dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmNjfpoRZpE

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

Bah. Nothing shameful about enjoying seeing a hypocrite exposed for what he is.

Bah. Nothing shameful about enjoying seeing a hypocrite exposed for what he is.

Maybe I'm weak, but I can't find joy or satisfaction in this. I find it sad.

Maybe I'm weak, but I can't find joy or satisfaction in this. I find it sad.

It is sad. It's also immensely gratifying.

When you've publicly railed against homosexuality the way this guy has, and spearheaded the effort to ban gay marriage, yet in private you engage in exactly the same conduct that you so vocally denounce, you're a hypocrite and you deserve exactly this kind of shitstorm when it all unravels. If this guy had just presided over his flock quietly and not built his popularity on hatred and bigotry, I would have a lot more compassion for him now.

It is sad. It's also immensely gratifying.

When you've publicly railed against homosexuality the way this guy has, and spearheaded the effort to ban gay marriage, yet in private you engage in exactly the same conduct that you so vocally denounce, you're a hypocrite and you deserve exactly this kind of shitstorm when it all unravels. If this guy had just presided over his flock quietly and not built his popularity on hatred and bigotry, I would have a lot more compassion for him now.

No compassion. No glee in his fall. Just sad at the frailties of human beings. Hypocricy is not pretty. But I can't find it in myself to ridicule him or take joy in his commupance.

No compassion. No glee in his fall. Just sad at the frailties of human beings. Hypocricy is not pretty. But I can't find it in myself to ridicule him or take joy in his commupance.

Crowjack, normally I'd agree with you but Cryptique nailed this one.

I am also not sure his behavior really is a "frailty" per se. He is a human being with human desires; why do we do so much to first deny ourselves what we find to be pleasureable (assuming it is not harming others) and then rail against others who find similar pleasure?

In other words, there is nothing inately wrong with homosexual activity, though the meth part :yucky

Heehee, the Merle comments...

I first saw this story on the news ticker tape on CNN when I was at work. It just said something like, "Haggard confesses to long time sex problem" or something like that. Of course, the first Haggard I think of was Merle. It took me awhile to put the pieces together. I was thinking, "Oh, how sick. Society is so obsessed with celebrity..."

I agree. I find this sad. I don't even like to think about Bush or his advisors or who he talks to anymore. I'm so ready to move on and start hating a new president.

i feel for those disillusioned parishioners, i really do. hopefully in forgiving their pastor, they see that gay people are humans and begin to afford them compassion and rights. this could be a healing moment. it could also help to close the polarizing effects of the fundamentalist evangelicals. wishful thinking.