Election Night results

I have the word "moderate" printed on each sheet of my toilet paper.

(Bush's mom is so ugly, she doesn't need to wear a mask on halloween)

Nancy! Great to have you here on the board :cheers

The champaign bottles are empty....now let's go to work & clean up this mess.

btw,when Kendrick Meek introduced you last night,it was pretty inspiring.That kid has the enthusiasm!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, your sour grapes are showing a little there, Ace.

Throw out an example or two to support your claim, or don't insult everybody on the board that voted Democratic yesterday. At least let us know who, specifically, you're trying to insult. And then tell us why the fact that the Democrats they voted for are moderate means that they voted simply for the party and not on the issues.

Sorry, I only meant to insult non-VCer Democrats. :lol Actually, I wasn't referring to this board. The anti-Bush/anti-Republican vibeage at the moment played a big role in many races, where a Democratic vote was as much a vote against the Republican as it was for the Democrat and his/her specific platform. Just thought it would be good to point out and get some input on this new breed of moderate to conservative Democrats, and how everyone really feels this will impact Congress.

You liberals are very sensitive.

Edit: I also am not implying that this is anything new.

Sorry, I only meant to insult non-VCer Democrats. :lol Actually, I wasn't referring to this board. The anti-Bush/anti-Republican vibeage at the moment played a big role in many races, where a Democratic vote was as much a vote against the Republican as it was for the Democrat and his/her specific platform. Just thought it would be good to point out and get some input on this new breed of moderate to conservative Democrats, and how everyone really feels this will impact Congress.

You liberals are very sensitive.

You still didn't say which Democrats that were voted in are "pretty conservative."

Nancy! Great to have you here on the board :cheers

The champaign bottles are empty....now let's go to work & clean up this mess.

More of that attitude and there may just be a highway named for you kind sir (so long as you hate conservatives and their dirty mothers).

Who do I see about making room on that Rushmore scene?

(bush hates African-americans)

More of that attitude and there may just be a highway named for you kind sir (so long as you hate conservatives and their dirty mothers).

Who do I see about making room on that Rushmore scene?

(bush hates African-americans)

Any chance of legalizing weed Mrs. Pelosi?

You still didn't say which Democrats that were voted in are "pretty conservative."

1) Ellsworth, D-Indiana: Advocates gun rights, opposes gay marriage, anti-abortion, opposes "cutting and running" in Iraq.

2) Heath Shuler, D-North Carolina: Evangelical Christian, anti-abortion

others: Bob Casey, Jim Webb (assuming he wins)

There are others.

Edit: I should point out that, even as someone who votes primarily Republican, these type candidates are attractive to me. I just didn't have any to choose from yesterday.

I'm bummed that prop 2 passed in Michigan. That's a kick in the balls.

Even after hanging out here for all of these years and becoming much much more liberal I still can't get into turning down qualified applicants because of the color of their (or someone else's) skin.

My new liberal sensibilities would have me prescribe a program that gets minority students and their parents into some kind of afternoon tutoring program to help them be better qualified than white kids because of their grades and SAT scores.

I'm upset about this one. O'Malley is a piece of crap. Erhlich was an unfortunate casualty of the democratic backlash. As far as everything else goes I'm glad we'll finally have checks and balances back on the Federal level.

I have no clue as to what the various candidates in MD were all about, but I do find it interesting that Ehrlich and Steele bussed in homeless blacks from Philly to hand out flyers on election day.

By the Way I think republicans have benefitted more from people who vote for the initial behind the name than democrats have. Over the last 14 years or so the media has continually painted the dems as aout of touch weak etc... Usually ignoring their true positions in the process, while they paint the republicans as haivng firm ideas and as being strong. Well. there is a whole lot mroe to governing than having ideas. Bad ideas are ideas, true, but they are bad none the less and the last six years have shown how bad things can get when one party rules without input from the minority. I have always been of the opinion that the house and Senate shoudl be opposite parties and that whhen that does nto occur the president shoudl be of the opposite party. Thsi brings moderation into the equation and they end up ruling frm the middle, not the fringes. Whent he dems last had power the demms and republicans ruled jointly in congress, there were very few striaght party line votes, which to me indicated that they were reachiing compromise desgined to rule fromt he middle (Note to republicans compromise is not defeat, it is compromise). Hopefully the Dems will nto act like the republicans have for the last six years. After they run rougshod over the republicans to fix all the crap that has been fucked up over the last six years I hoep they actually work from the middle like they used to.

I have no clue as to what the various candidates in MD were all about, but I do find it interesting that Ehrlich and Steele bussed in homeless blacks from Philly to hand out flyers on election day.

By the Way I think republicans have benefitted more from people who vote for the initial behind the name than democrats have. Over the last 14 years or so the media has continually painted the dems as aout of touch weak etc... Usually ignoring their true positions in the process, while they paint the republicans as haivng firm ideas and as being strong. Well. there is a whole lot mroe to governing than having ideas. Bad ideas are ideas, true, but they are bad none the less and the last six years have shown how bad things can get when one party rules without input from the minority. I have always been of the opinion that the house and Senate shoudl be opposite parties and that whhen that does nto occur the president shoudl be of the opposite party. Thsi brings moderation into the equation and they end up ruling frm the middle, not the fringes. Whent he dems last had power the demms and republicans ruled jointly in congress, there were very few striaght party line votes, which to me indicated that they were reachiing compromise desgined to rule fromt he middle (Note to republicans compromise is not defeat, it is compromise). Hopefully the Dems will nto act like the republicans have for the last six years. After they run rougshod over the republicans to fix all the crap that has been fucked up over the last six years I hoep they actually work from the middle like they used to.

There's no "middle" in "Pelosi," Mr. Centrist. And why don't you find yourself a spell-checker while you're cuddling with your bipartisan goodwill?

(bush broke up britney and k-fed)

Even after hanging out here for all of these years and becoming much much more liberal I still can't get into turning down qualified applicants because of the color of their (or someone else's) skin.

My new liberal sensibilities would have me prescribe a program that gets minority students and their parents into some kind of afternoon tutoring program to help them be better qualified than white kids because of their grades and SAT scores.

But the program that the University of Michigan uses (which is really what Prop 2 was going after) doesn't work like that. It doesn't turn down people in favor of unqualified minorities. It just gives favor to minorities when choosing between candidates who are all qualified.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone is anti-abortion, but liberal on anything else, then they may as well just be a liberal at this point. Congress no longer has a say on that issue.

There's no "middle" in "Pelosi," Mr. Centrist. And why don't you find yourself a spell-checker while you're cuddling with your bipartisan goodwill?

(bush broke up britney and k-fed)

Currently what we have is Hasstert and previously Delay and they are not fringe dwellers? They lead from the fringe only and pulled their party towards the fringe hence the voting went the way it did for the last six years. They lead fromt he fringe and failed, and they had the support of a radical right wing administration, AND a radicalized supreme court, which has been legislating fromt he bench while ignoring the orignial intent on an ever increasing basis. Talk about radical agendas and extremists.

If Pelosi leads from the fringe she will fail. You are also assuming that Pelosi will be the one. The media is specualting but who knows until it actually happens. As to her leadership I would assume that no matter how she leads, even if it is right down the center (and the past congress has given the dems no reason to do so) she will be painted as being an extremist. There could be an issue that 75% of the country believes in and she could follow it and she will be painted as an extreamist by the right wing media machine. Nothing she will do will soothe the Limbaughs of the world or theiir minions.

Now the I keep hearing that she is an extremist, could someone please explain how she is an extremist? And while doing so you need to give examples of how her lawmaking mirrors her personal beliefs and how they are extreme? I simply view what has happend as a way to add balance back to our government and hopefully end the extremism that has been going on. (Along witht he corruption and lack of accountability)

One last hing. A couple of weeks ago I went to a seminar in DC. We had lobbiest speak (the seminar was tax audit issues) Anyhow, someone asked him what he was hearing about the elections from the people on the hill. He thought dems woudl end up with 20 seat lead in the house and lose the senate. He also said that republicans were going to stretch out the Virginia race as along as possible. Why? Because an early Dem win there could influence voters out west so they wanted to win that race or have results delayed so they would not influennce the rest of the country. Look what has heppened in Virginia. And he was wrong about botht he House and Senate races.

Go ahaead and keep insulting me too, It helpdd drive your point home more when you attack the messenger rather than the message.

but I do find it interesting that Ehrlich and Steele bussed in homeless blacks from Philly to hand out flyers on election day.

Not just any flyers, misleading ones (trying to make it look like Steele was endorsed by prominent Democrats): "Misleading GOP Handouts Called a Political 'Low Point'"

Ehrlich and company said they didn't have anything to do with it (of course). It's another cute parallel to The Wire, though.

Nationwide, if they just get us our habeas corpus back, I'll be reasonably contented.

Go ahaead and keep insulting me too, It helpdd drive your point home more when you attack the messenger rather than the message.

If you loathe conservatives then I apologize for the spell-check remark, I haven't had much sleep, and there's much work to be done.

Partisanship can be a good thing, as long as what you're fighting for is noble.

(bush rigs American Idol)

1) Ellsworth, D-Indiana: Advocates gun rights, opposes gay marriage, anti-abortion, opposes "cutting and running" in Iraq.

2) Heath Shuler, D-North Carolina: Evangelical Christian, anti-abortion

others: Bob Casey, Jim Webb (assuming he wins)

There are others.

Edit: I should point out that, even as someone who votes primarily Republican, these type candidates are attractive to me. I just didn't have any to choose from yesterday.

Thanks.

Isn't that pretty much how every election works, though? You vote for the candidate that most closely fits your politics. If your democratic candidate is "pretty conservative," and the republican candidate is more conservative, whom would you expect to get a liberal-minded person's vote?

If you loathe conservatives then I apologize for the spell-check remark, I haven't had much sleep, and there's much work to be done.

Partisanship can be a good thing, as long as what you're fighting for is noble.

(bush rigs American Idol)

Speaking of spellcheck, Nancy.