Election Night results

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Michigan, it looks like our Democrat gov'nor held off the evil former head of scAmway.

Also, our Dem freshman senator survived. Maybe she'll make a little more noise in her second term.

Too close to call right now on the referendum that would ban affirmative action.

My congressman, Bush's "Congressman Kick-Ass," got his ass kicked out of office. Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!

Ohio was Dem a long time with Metzanbaum and Glenn in the Senate forever. Very happy to be blue. Now if we could just get that Time-Warner commercial back where the guy says "That's crazy!" everything would be perfect.

Colbert to Jim Wexner (D-Fla.): "What's the first thing on the Democratic House agenda: Tax and Spend, Cut and Run, or Man on Man?"

i was follwoing the returns with a friend who grew up in maryland and went to college in michigan. so we were following michigan, maryland and illinois (along with everything else of course)

almost evertything went the way we wanted. i feel pretty good abotu tonight right now. now the dems just need to not fuck up too badly in the next two years. i have very little faith in them to do this.

anyway, jager+beer+america not fucking it up again resulted in a good night. I'll be hurting at work tomorrow, but it's worth it.

Congratulations, America!

My congressman, Bush's "Congressman Kick-Ass," got his ass kicked out of office. Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!

so named for working hard to stop the recount in FL in the last presidential election/theft. Booya!

:cheers :dancing :rock

i hate bob corker. :frusty i hated him when he was mayor of chattanooga. he turned one of the best roads downtown into a 2 way street, and now at 5 oclock it's basically grid locked. bastard.

soddy-daisy now has liquor by the drink.

and the gay marriage thing passed in TN :( dumbasses.

i wrote on myspace about all this and said that is was going to come back and bite all the people in thier collective asses.

I have mixed feelings about the results last night. Michigan re-elects the Dem. Governor and U.S. Senator, the state House of Reps goes back to the Dems for the first time since 1999, and the electorate still voted to approve Prop 2 amending our state constitution to ban affirmative action. Must be all those Reagan Democrats coming home.

claire won in MO! alright!

When I went to bed last night, she was down 14 percent, but with only 19% reporting. Still, I was pretty depressed about it.

Hurray for small favors. Looks like some inroads have been made this year. I sure hope the momentum can be maintaned. :thumbup

Lieberman beat out Lamont, which I'm sure you all knew. Watching the local results as they came in was interesting. At 9:15, it was 48% to 40% with a checkmark next to Lieberman's name. At 9:25, it was 46%-42% with no checkmark. At 9:40, it was dead even at 45% for each candidate. Then it eventually slid back in Joe's direction.

In other news Chris Murphy (D) beat 24 year veteran Nancy Johnson

This is from Salon.com. I remain cautiously optimistic.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where things stand

Going into Tuesday night, Democrats needed to pick up six seats to take control of the Senate. Four -- Pennsylvania, Missouri, Rhode Island and Ohio -- are absolutely, positively in the bank. Here's where things stand in the other two.

Montana: With 99 percent of the precincts reporting, Democrat Jon Tester leads Republican Sen. Conrad Burns 48.9 percent to 48.6 percent, with about 1,600 votes between them. That may not be a big separation, but it's important to remember just how sparsely populated Montana is. Roughly 400,000 people cast votes in the state Tuesday.

Tester told supporters Tuesday night that they'd be able to "party" soon enough. In an interview with CNN, he said: "I like the position we're in. I think we're going to win." Burns spent much of Tuesday night in a hotel room in Billings, watching returns with his wife. She said that he'd lost his voice campaigning.

Under Montana law, a candidate can request a recount if less than half a percentage points divides the winner and the loser; the state pays for the recount if the margin is a quarter of a percentage point or less. At the moment, Tester's lead puts it in the category in which Burns could request a recount but would have to pay for it himself. If Tester can build his margin even slightly as the last of the votes are counted, he could put even a self-sponsored recount out of the Republican's reach.

Virginia: With virtually all of the precincts tallied -- but with some absentee ballots still to be counted -- Democrat Jim Webb leads Republican George Allen by margin of 49.6 percent to 49.3 percent, with about 8,000 votes standing between them. Webb has declared victory -- "The votes are in and we won," he said very, very early this morning -- but Allen seems to believe that a recount is coming.

Under Virginia law, a candidate who finishes within a half of a percentage points of another can request a state-sponsored recount. If the margin is between one and one-half of a percentage point, the candidate can still request a recount, but he has to foot the bill himself. DSCC Chair Chuck Schumer has predicted that absentee ballots still to be counted will put Webb's lead outside the recount range.

The Hotline says that Virginia officials will announce an "informal winner" in the race -- CNN says that announcement could come today -- but that officials will spend the next several days "canvassing" to count provisional ballots.

Can't believe Webb pulled that out.

Ain't entirely over yet, but yes, that was nice. I mostly had my eye on my "home" states last night: (VA, OH, CT)

I grew up in (northern) VA, so its nice to see "my" part of the state stand up and say, "Hey, you know, we're not really as much of a Red state as you guys think." I haven't talked to my dad yet this morning, but I doubt he's slept yet and he's probably still pacing the halls as the recount process gets started.

It was nice to see OH get a nice coat of blue paint. It was definitely past time to do some housecleaning there.

CT mostly went as expected. Lieberman is still here. Rell is still popular as governor, although I really can't explain her popularity aside from the low-standard set by her predecessor (who went to prison). The only "surprise" to me here was Chris Murphy beating out long-timer Nancy Johnson. I guess the

ad didn't work out so well--heck, that one always made me laugh. It might have even gotten him more votes. We'll see how he does. He's young and seems like a good guy. Nice to see him win.
I have mixed feelings about the results last night. Michigan re-elects the Dem. Governor and U.S. Senator, the state House of Reps goes back to the Dems for the first time since 1999, and the electorate still voted to approve Prop 2 amending our state constitution to ban affirmative action. Must be all those Reagan Democrats coming home.

I'm pretty surprised that prop 2 passed. in my local election they voted to up the funding for the fire department but not the police department that was pretty interesting. also surprised that there was such a wide margin between Granholm and Devos. I thought Mr. Amway would beat out Jenny from the block but thankfully not.

At 9:15, it was 48% to 40% with a checkmark next to Lieberman's name. At 9:25, it was 46%-42% with no checkmark. At 9:40, it was dead even at 45% for each candidate. Then it eventually slid back in Joe's direction.

There was a great "WTF?" moment--I can't remember now if it was on CNN or one of the local stations here--but at the very same moment they broke in to call the race for Lieberman, the tally at the bottom of the screen refreshed and showed him down by 4%. :ermm

I'm assuming they knew more about the race than the on-screen stats were showing at that point, but it was definitely a head-scratcher.