Jay Bennett new CD

Thought I would mention too, that this same song, "Replace You" is available on the Paste Magazine Sampler (most recent issue).

You might be interested in these links to previous discussions here at VC about Jay's new CD.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...;hl=Magnificent

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?sho...;hl=Magnificent

I hope you don't mind that I merged the two threads into one, just keepin' Jay info with Jay info! :)

Although in hindsight, it makes Sir Stewart seem overly excited about this new CD. :blush

Also, I wonder if he'll stop trying to be Elvis Costello anytime soon?

I agree Welsh Rich, so much so that it's tough to get past to see if I even like the new songs. (Imperial Bedroomish album art, production flourishes, vocals, etc.)

I just wrote something similar in the "Separated at birth" thread as well.

This has probably been discussed, and I should preface by saying I don't know much about Jay. Should I not be confused that John wrote "Replace You" with Jay? I had no idea they were still friends...I was led to believe that John was as fed up with Jay as anyone.

I've now listened to this album several times. It is just awful! I really tried to give it a chance too.

The mp3 linked above sounds pretty kickass to me. Is that comprable with the rest of the material? Oh yeah, it's called 'Replace You'.

Edit: Ah, I see in the linked threads above that this a Courtesy Move song. Question stands though.

Edit #2: And I also see in that thread you address the very issue. Carry on then.

As a huge Jay-defender on these boards, I am having a hard time getting into this album. The first track really is quite jarring and kind of starts the whole experience off on a bad foot. I mean, are you to tell me that out of seventy songs, you feel the strongly enough to put it on the album? Not only that, you start the album with it? Not a good move in my opinion.

I still have to give this one some time, but it certainly is not my favorite.

everybody comments on the first track, but i think its pretty obvious that it was made in that way for a specific reason. its not a case of him adding a bunch of things for the hell of it. all those sounds are in there to create an atmosphere... confused/frustrated/chaotic/etc.