Decemberists review

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at this Chicago show, and I loved every bit of the performance except the time they wasted trying to re-enact the final Hobbit battle. :rolleyes The Riv was too packed ... sold out ... and there was no room for this and we could have heard 2 or more songs in that time. Even before they attempted it, I mentioned to LouieB that I thought the days of marching through the crowds with their instruments was over for the Decemberists -- but no, they proceeded to attempt it anyway. Other than that, I was very happy with the show.
The walking through the crowd and the hobbitt battle were both pointless in a set that was really good (as I menitoned on another thread the new female multinstumentalist is excellent), but it came at the end of what was a fairly short set for a huge sold out show in a big city. They would have been better served by coming out and done a firey last couple numbers rather than end it with such a thud.

LouieB

must be nice to be holier than thou.

Most definitely.

I just laughed at this review. What annoys me about it is it's billed as a concert review, as others have mentioned, but there's no real concert review. It's just an excuse for Ott to whine about something he doesn't get and clearly has no desire to. What a hack of a writer.

Obviously, whenever a band gains popularity there are gonna be detractors and people who can only say negative things, but I think the best way to do it is just ignore them. There are many bands I don't like (in fact, I'd say "can't stand"), but I don't go out of my way to write some masturbatory article about how much I hate them.

Seriously. Nothing says "I'm a big tool" like lashing out at your critics, regardless of how idiotic they may be.

Colin Meloy* and Ryan Adams could both use some schooling in this area. And that's coming from a big Ryan fan.

* - Assuming he actually did respond to Ott.

Guest Speed Racer
Seriously. Nothing says "I'm a big tool" like lashing out at your critics, regardless of how idiotic they may be.

I'm still torn about this. I think that going public and creating a stink certainly screams 'I'M A TOOL!' but if you honestly feel like you've been misrepresented, I don't see what's wrong with emailing or calling the author to discuss the article. Going public with a private email like Ott did *definitely* reeks of unprofessionalism, and indecency.

I don't know. I'd be a bit upset if a review of my concert mentioned the event itself for roughly a paragraph and attacked me, in and out of the theater, for the remaining 1,000 words. Ryan Adams made that infamous stink and Jim DeRogatis's review, but that was an honest-to-goodness concert review, that rehashed every minute detail of an f-ed up concert. Ryan acted like a tool in responding. Meloy asking, 'Uh, what's up with this...?' doesn't seem too 'tool' like to me.

For what it's worth, I despise the Decemberists.

Most definitely.

I just laughed at this review. What annoys me about it is it's billed as a concert review, as others have mentioned, but there's no real concert review. It's just an excuse for Ott to whine about something he doesn't get and clearly has no desire to. What a hack of a writer.

Obviously, whenever a band gains popularity there are gonna be detractors and people who can only say negative things, but I think the best way to do it is just ignore them. There are many bands I don't like (in fact, I'd say "can't stand"), but I don't go out of my way to write some masturbatory article about how much I hate them.

Although the review indeed doesn't really focus on said concert, it is by no means a pointlessly negative piece. It captures a lot of truths regarding Meloy and the spirit of his music. In doing so this article is very effective in describing why the Decemberists put me off so severely, why listening to them is an anger inspiring experience.

why listening to them is an anger inspiring experience.

I don't think I've ever found a band that angered me. I've found bands that totally put me off to their music with an album or a band that disappointed me, but never angered me. What is it about Meloy's stuff that so angers you? I think he's carved out a neat niche for himself as a unique kind of storyteller who doesn't tell your typical tale. He doesn't write sappy love songs as so many songwriters (even great ones) resort to. I can understand that his voice is off-putting to some people (much like Dylan, Coyne, Jim James, and, in my case, Neil Young). I just can't understand the Decemberists, or any band for that matter, inspiring anger. Dave Matthews doesn't even me and I consider him the most bland, overrated songwriter of our time (right up there with Thom Yorke).

Haha. :lol I shouldn't say 'despise,' I'm just not into that style of storytelling, I guess. And Colin's voice. I think they'll do fine without me, though.

Colin's voice was an acquired taste for me. The first time I heard him I didn't like it at all. But he's definitely grown on me. I can understand the storytelling and voice putting people off, but I really don't understand all the hate for the Decemberists... :huh If you don't like them, don't listen to them, people!

I would have expected a lot of backlash for them signing with Capitol, but the people who are really down on them seem to never have liked them, ever. I guess they're a love 'em or hate 'em band... I love 'em, I'm not ashamed to admit it! :D

Although the review indeed doesn't really focus on said concert, it is by no means a pointlessly negative piece. It captures a lot of truths regarding Meloy and the spirit of his music. In doing so this article is very effective in describing why the Decemberists put me off so severely, why listening to them is an anger inspiring experience.

you mean opinions

Pretentious band vs. pretentious weekly shockah

If only a fiery meteor would crash down from the heavens and take them both out.

And please take Sufjan with them. Amen.

Unfortunately, I'm sure there's another thread for Sufjan bashing somewhere . . .

I just can't understand the Decemberists, or any band for that matter, inspiring anger. Dave Matthews doesn't even me and I consider him the most bland, overrated songwriter of our time (right up there with Thom Yorke).

Sorry, I hate to derail a thread - you might not like Thom Yorke, but I find it hard to believe he is overrated by any means.

Guest Speed Racer

Agreed. Radiohead fans, on the other hand, can be quite overrated. See, I've found that few bands actually make me feel any kind of angry, but there are *many* brands of fans that, particularly when you have to discuss the objects of their devotion, become extremely frustrating, to say the least.

I also discovered that I really have a distaste for indie rock. You know, the kind that used to be called emo and could have passed for 'decent' in the 80s but now kids just wear corduroy and mope when they hear it...

Sorry, I hate to derail a thread - you might not like Thom Yorke, but I find it hard to believe he is overrated by any means.

i like thom, and still think he's overrated. people act like he's the second coming of christ. he's not.

i like thom, and still think he's overrated. people act like he's the second coming of christ. he's not.

word.

Radiohead were my favorite band from late '95 to late '97, i still like them quite a lot, but i think they're one of the most overrated bands of the last 15 years. like you said, some people pretend Thom is on the same level as Lennon or something, or that Radiohead are equals to Floyd or the Beatles... yes they're one of the best bands to come out of the 90's, but still...

See, and you just noticed exactly how I feel about Meloy. Whereas a bunch of people don't like his writing, singing, whatever, I feel the same way about Yorke's stuff. It still all comes down to matter of opinion in the end I suppose. And that's why I still don't understand the very personal nature of that article. It seems Ott has an axe to grind with Meloy and doesn't really go elsewhere with it. I understand it was a poor show, but yikes.

word.

Radiohead were my favorite band from late '95 to late '97, i still like them quite a lot, but i think they're one of the most overrated bands of the last 15 years. like you said, some people pretend Thom is on the same level as Lennon or something, or that Radiohead are equals to Floyd or the Beatles... yes they're one of the best bands to come out of the 90's, but still...

Plenty of bands are better than Pink Floyd--talk about an overrated band. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'll preface it with the oh mighty popular "I'm a fan," to fend off those ready to attack.

Anyway, this concert review is horrible for the non-concert review that many have pointed out, but to call the guy a hack is absurd. The guy can write, just not about what he's supposed to write about. I think a lot of music critics (not myself) are just failed musicians who can never outgrow or get over their attempts to become something in the music business, whether that be a musician, representative, roadie, etc. I don't know Ott's background, but reading that he once wrote for P4K doesn't help improve his perception in many eyes.

I think this article has more to do with where a lot of mainstream music criticism is going. It's getting vile and it's become a challenge among some writers to out-criticize the other.

With a major label contract and sell out shows, why should Colin give a crap what anyone thinks about him or his band.

Exactly ... there seems to be success and adoration for his music on at least a certain level. I think if I was a musician who had attained at least that level of success, I would find some comfort that my music was able to piss off this critic who seems to make a living of being pissed off at shows.

Having said that,

The show even closed with an inept band-orchestrated audience-participation re-creation of the final battle scenes from "The Hobbit," cute but apparently arranged for the group's own amusement, because it ended the evening on a pointlessly silly note.

Oh. My. Dear. God.