For the last two months I've been DJing and co-promoting a night at a small, funky independent bar and i have to say it's one of the most rewarding musical experiences I've ever had. My friend James and I got tired of the same old indie nights playing Hard-Fi and the Kaiser Chiefs ad nauseum and faceless bars with Red Hot Chillis permanently blasting out from the video jukebox. We figured there had to be people out there who wanted to hear something different and so we put on a chilled out leftfield indie, electronica and folk night.

It's just nice to have somewhere where people congregate regularly and actually appreciate what you're playing. It also puts the pressure on to find new stuff to play every week! It's exciting to stare at my CDs for hours looking for new setlists and stuff.

So anyone else out there DJing and/or promoting anything? If we can build something in this backwater then it's possible anywhere.

Oh, here's our flyer:

colourproperbluelowposting.jpg

That sounds really good Matt - glad its going well.

I used to do the odd night when I was living in Stafford and always really enjoyed it. Dont really do anything anymore, though I do frequent a pretty decent forthightly indie night in Ipswich which leans more towards what your playing rather than, as you say, Hard-Fi and Kaiser Chiefs.

Good luck with it!

Used to play quite a bit, got a mixer and everything, even two decks, although I believe most DJ'ing is done on iPods these days - well especially by people with tiny jackets and dirty trainers in Shoreditch and Hoxton.

Not done it in about a year or so, but I recall someone asking me for Kelis' Milkshake last time. Which I had and played. Hurrah for me!

Unfortunately, Wolverhampton ain't in my backyard, so my support will have to stay limited to a 'good luck' and a 'hope it goes well', unless you expand.

So, good luck and I hope it goes well.

I am DJing tomorrow night, it's billed as a country night, but that's pretty loosely defined. I am honored to have been chosen to be in charge (musically) of the busiest drinking night of the year in the US.
We are all honored.... :lol

LouieB

• 1 month later...

i tried to laptop DJ tonight and it was a nightmare... first i had it connected to the wrong inputs, then the software fucked up and it disturbed the song that was playing... there's something to be said for concrete over abstract. it's easier to deal with a CD skipping than a laptop throwing a hissyfit.