The Police may reunite in 2007

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are on that Live Planet thingie now on the telly. My goodness they have gotten old since my college days. Sure am glad I haven't aged that much ...

I gotta admit Sting does still sound amazing.

However I am suspicious that's not really his natural hair color at this point. Stewart seems to be OK with the "Yes, I'm a gray haired rock drummer", which is kinda refreshing. But Sting and Andy are definitely hitting the Grecian Formula pretty regularly.

And for the record, Message in a Bottle does not need rap to be a great song, imho. What are they thinking???

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
The Police Announce Last Show Ever

Sting

May 06, 2008, 1:00 PM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville

The Police and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg today (May 6) announced at a press conference in Times Square the band's final concert ever, to be held in New York on a date still to be revealed in August.

This final concert -- for which ticket and venue information have yet to be announced -- will be a fundraiser with proceeds benefiting the production of arts programming for public television stations Thirteen/WNET and WLIW New York. Tickets will be available nationally online via the Thirteen/WNET and WLIW Web sites.

Additionally, Sting and the Police announced that they will contribute $1 million to Mayor Bloomberg's MillionTreesNYC initiative -- a gift the city will match -- to plant trees all over New York City.

At the press conference, held in Times Square, Sting commented:

• 5 weeks later...
The Police Pick Madison Square Garden For Final Gig

The Police

June 06, 2008, 12:10 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Police's last-ever show will be held Aug. 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden, with proceeds to benefit New York public television stations Thirteen/WNET and WLIW21. Tickets will only be available via donations to the station, starting June 14.

That day, the stations will air a Police retrospective featuring new interviews with the band and vintage concert clips. Tickets will be sold to donors in pairs at four price levels: $150, $350, $500 and $750. Also available is a $5000 package featuring access to soundcheck, and a $2000 combo with prime seats and a private pre-show party.

Beginning Monday (June 9), members of the Police fan club will get first crack at tickets to the show, which will feature support from the B-52s. There is speculation that the concert will be broadcast at some point on public television, but details have yet to be announced.

When the basic details for the final show were announced last month during a New York press conference, the Police confirmed a $1 million contribution to Mayor Michael Bloomberg's MillionTreesNYC initiative to plant trees all over the city.

The Police's reunion tour began in May 2007 and was the top tour of the year at more than $212 million gross and nearly 2 million in attendance, according to Billboard Boxscore. Recent shows have seen the debuts of songs like "Hole in My Life," "Bring on the Night" and "Demolition Man," which were not on the set lists last year.

In related news, Sting will join Elvis Costello as performers in "Welcome to the Voice," an opera written by longtime Costello keyboardist Steve Nieve and Muriel Teodori. The Police frontman will be part of the ensemble from Nov. 20-25 in Paris.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I never saw them live, but from the footage and recordings I've heard, they never seemed like that great of a live band. I'd be interested in a new record, maybe, but I doubt I'd pay top dollar to see them play.

I saw them twice. No big deal. Pretty much note for note off the recordings.

• 2 months later...
Best Buy Snags Police Live CD/DVD Exclusive

The Police

Related Links:

Live CD/DVD To Chronicle Police Reunion Tour

The Police: Reunited, And It Feels Pretty Good

August 06, 2008 , 12:35 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Best Buy will be the exclusive retailer for the Police live CD/DVD "Certifiable," due Oct. 7. As first reported here, the set was filmed last December in Buenos Aires. It will be available as a 2 DVD/2 CD set, a single disc Blu-ray/2 CD combo and in a triple vinyl configuration with an MP3 download.

Drummer Stewart Copeland previously told Billboard.com the DVD would feature a behind-the-scenes documentary shot by his son Jordan.

Best Buy will also be webcasting most of the encore from the Police's final concert ever, set for tomorrow night (Aug. 7) at New York's Madison Square Garden. Fans are being asked to tune into BestBuy.com/thePolice at 10:45 PM ET to view the segment.

Here is the track list for "The Police: Certifiable":

"Message in a Bottle"

"Synchronicity II"

"Walking on the Moon"

"Voices Inside My Head" / "When the World Is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around"

"Don't Stand So Close to Me"

"Driven to Tears"

"Hole in my Life"

"Truth Hits Everybody"

"Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"

"Wrapped Around Your Finger"

"De Do Do Do De Da Da Da"

"Invisible Sun"

"Walking in your Footsteps"

"Can't Stand Losing You"

"Roxanne"

"King of Pain"

"So Lonely"

"Every Breath You Take"

"Next to You"

Public TV Donors To Pack Final Police Concert

The Police

August 07, 2008 , 10:40 AM ET

Randee Dawn, The Hollywood Reporter

Madison Square Garden will be packed tonight (Aug. 7) with public television members who'll have gotten far more for their pledges than mere tote bags. Thanks to an unusual collaboration coordinated through New York-based Thirteen/WNET and WLIW21, they've landed exclusive seats to the Police's final concert.

"PBS just seemed like a great idea," said Kathryn Schenker, who manages Police frontman Sting. "They were doing more music programming, and they wanted to reach younger audiences, so it seemed like a great idea to help them raise money for arts and educational television."

The concert -- which will not be broadcast live, though the final encore will be a Best Buy-presented webcast -- is part of what the channels have dubbed "360 degrees of fundraising," and the partnership kicks off their "Public Television Rocks" campaign.

"We'd always talked about needing to reach out to a younger demographic," said Neal Shapiro, president and CEO of the Educational Broadcasting Corp., a licensee of Thirteen/WNET and WLIW21, which in the past seven months have made inroads to younger audiences that included airing independent films. "There's a younger generation out there after 11 p.m. looking for things to watch and will try some things that are consistent with our programming."

Admirable, but having the Police's representatives call and offer every ticket to their final concert so that your station can raise funds puts rebranding on a different scale. As of mid-June, pledges of $150-$750 could score members a pair of tickets to the concert; this week, a new block of single tickets opened for $50. VIP packages were available for purchase at higher pledge amounts, while an auction of VIP packages on eBay raised $40,000. A signed instrument auction went live Monday on eBay.

Insiders estimate that final earnings will be in the millions.

RZO Entertainment's Bill Zysblat, who produced the Police's reunion tour with Live Nation, said finding the right spot for the final blowout was important. But while the band would cover overhead, they didn't want to lose a large amount of money either (in addition to the free show, it has donated $1 million to the city's MillionTrees Initiative).

The solution of PBS, which already has an internal pledge system in place, amazed Zysblat with its simplicity. "We sat there saying, 'There has to be something wrong,' " he said. "This can't be a win-win for everybody, but we can't come up with the flaw."

Still, fans might wonder: Is this really the last show, or will the Police just re-reform in five years and do it all again? Schenker says no.

"I would bet the ranch that this is absolutely the last show ever," he said. "Sting has been quoted as saying it's important that things have an ending, that it was never meant to be forever, and this is a happy ending -- for everyone."