Arcade Fire - Black Mirror

you can listen to the first single off the record, Black Mirror, on arcadefire.com now

click on Win's Scrapbook.

i like it a lot, it's mellow in spots, but i dig the lyrics and darkness of it. love the french part.

:music

lyrics:

I will walk down to the ocean

After waking from the nightmare

No moon, no pale reflection

Black Mirror, Black Mirror

Shot by a security camera

You can watch your own image

And also look yourself in the eye

Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror

I know when the time is coming

All the words will lose their meaning

Please show me something that isn't mine

But mind is the only kind that I relate to

I never guessed how the mirror could ever break you

Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror

Black Mirror knows no reflection, knows not pride or vanity

Cares not about your dreams, cares not for your pyramid schemes

Their names are never spoken

The curse is never broken, the curse is never broken

Un, duex, trois, du miroir noir [one, two, three, from the mirror]

Black Mirror

Un, duex, trois, du miroir noir [one, two, three, from the mirror]

Black Mirror

Black Mirror, Black Mirror

Their names are never spoken, The curse is never broken,

Their names are never spoken, The curse is never broken,

Mirror mirror on the wall, show me where them bombs will fall

Mirror mirror on the wall, show me where them bombs will fall

Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror, Black Mirror

i like this song a lot too....

this is shaping up to be a great album. they are such a passionate, thoughtful band, as evidenced by these lyrics. and every song always seems so uplifting, no matter how dark the subject matter.

tried to get tickets to the NYC shows today. 5 shows sold out. unbelievable

I'm not digging this one nearly as much as the first two tracks that trickled out, but I suspect it's a grower. I went from scratching my head and yawning the first time I heard it to sort of digging it four or five listens later.

Nowhere near the level of Intervention, Black Wave/Bad Vibrations, or anything on Funeral, but not quite a certifiable dud. No idea why this was chosen as the single, though.

(MP3, since you can't stream on an iPod: http://download.yousendit.com/D85BDA683E31F4EC

it's better than at least 3-4 songs on Funeral (Backseat for one, without being in he context of closing the album that song isn't very good)

I agree, that song has never done it for me, except for the "alice died..." part.

I like this new one as well. I am pretty excited to hear the rest of the album. This sucker has to leak soon.

If you watch this amusing video the band put together:

You will find out that the album will be released in Europe on March 5th and the US & Canada on March 6th, as well as the albums tracklisting and hear clips of the entire record (the clips are not in order):

1. Black Mirror

2. Keep The Car Running

3. Neon Bible

4. Intervention

5. Black Wave Bad Vibrations

6. Ocean of Noise

7. The Well & The Lighthouse

8. Antichrist Television Blues

9. Windowsill

10. No Cars Go

11. My Body Is A Cage

i'm guessing you've not seen them live ;)

this is very true.

I thought there album was kind of hit and miss (there are definitely great tracks on it), but I couldn't help but love the band after seeing them live.

I'm really digging this song, more than intervention. I was under the assumption that they were going to hit a major sophomore slump (where can you go after coming on to the scene with as much hype as they did with an album as good as funeral?) but things look to be shaping up nicely. Never seen them live but will do so without a doubt this time around.

Unrelated Arcade Fire Question For Solace: I have a set of Arcade Fire demos called "2001 Demos." I don't really know anything about them (or even where I got them, it was a while ago) but was wondering what the deal with them was. Is that some sort of different incarnation of the band because it sounds a lot different then the other AF material I have (Funeral, s/t EP), is that even Win singing? I can't tell.

yes it's a totally different incarnation of the band. i think Win & Regine might be the only ones on it if i recall correctly. But there's another person singing (Brendan something?) on a lot of the tracks.