Van Fkkn! Halen: Hall of Famers

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Halen's appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on March 12 "could go a lot of different ways," according to Sammy Hagar. That said, Hagar -- the group's second frontman, from 1985-96 -- tells Billboard.com he has high hopes that the famously combative group will take the high road on that particular night.

"My hope is that everyone lets everything go and we go there in complete respect of each other and in a loving way, with the attitude that 'I couldn't have done it without you' towards everybody," says Hagar, who received the official word of Van Halen's selection at his Cabo Wabo Cantina in Mexico, where he and Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony have spent the past week jamming with Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith in a newly developing side project called Chickenfoot.

But he also notes that, "The biggest fear for me is there'll be animosity and 'I won't talk to that guy' and maybe some harsh words towards each other or some sly remarks in speeches ... and it's not out of the question that that could happen. But in the end, no matter what happens, when you hear the music you're gonna go, 'That's one of the greatest rock'n'roll bands in the world, ever, and well-deserved the inauguration into the Hall of Fame."

Hagar says he hadn't spoken to anyone other than Anthony about the induction but planned to put in a congratulatory call to drummer Alex Van Halen. He expects that manager Irving Azoff "is gonna try to spin everyone together somehow" and says he'll "go with the flow" with induction ceremony plans, which Hagar expects will include a live Van Halen performance.

However, Hagar deemed talk of a Van Halen tour this year with original frontman David Lee Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang on bass speculative and voiced concern for that particular turn in the band's course.

"Wolfie's a great guy; I love Wolfie. But I don't think Van Halen should bring a 15-year-old kid to replace Sam, Dave and Michael Anthony," Hagar says. "That's a lot of pressure for Wolfie. Just 'cause he's Eddie's son doesn't mean he can go out and play in arenas and perform and entertain an audience for two hours. I would love to see Eddie and Alex get behind Wolfie, with a kid of his age singing, and produce the record for him and help him launch a career. I'd rather see it go that way than come out and say 'Wolfie's the bass player in Van Halen and maybe singing, too.' Van Halen's got way too much history to have that put on him.

R.E.M.'s joy at being named a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2007 inductee is made all the more special because the group itself is "wretched" at being retrospective, according to frontman Michael Stipe.

"Our strength seems to be looking forward...(to) the next song or the next record or the next video and the next tour and trying to continue doing good and sometimes great work," Stipe told Billboard.com from London, where he, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and manager Bertis Downs were meeting to talk about plans for R.E.M.'s next album. "So it's really an honor that someone took the time to look backward and to kind of recognize what we've done in our past, 'cause we're really crappy at it."

Stipe and Mills both said that R.E.M. was particularly pleased to be in the same class of inductees as Patti Smith, an acknowledged influence on the band who called Stipe today (Jan. 8) to congratulate the band on the Hall of Fame news. "It was really greater to be able to say 'Congratulations to you' back to her," Stipe says. Mills added that, "She's been up (for induction) before and hasn't gotten in. I was afraid that her lack of huge record sales might blind people to her influence."

Stipe and Mills said original drummer Bill Berry, who left R.E.M. in 1997, will be attending the March 12 Hall of Fame ceremony in New York, but the group hasn't decided what songs it will play and who will induct it.

The group was also inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in September, where it reunited with Berry and also backed fellow inductee Gregg Allman. At that time, Stipe, Buck, Mills and Berry hit the studio to record a John Lennon cover for a Darfur benefit album, but group members were tight-lipped about when the cut will see the light of day.

Stipe did say R.E.M. plans to hit the studio at the end of the month to "bash out some demos" of eight songs Mills and Buck have written, which he's currently putting lyrics to. The trio is also considering "I'm Gonna DJ," an unreleased song from the sessions for 2004's "Around the Sun" that they played last night in Oxford, England, with Robyn Hitchcock and the Venus 3, which features Buck and R.E.M. drummer Bill Rieflin.

"The songs that we're working on now will probably be at least some of the songs on the record," Mills says. "We're just basically gearing up for the whole thing."

Stipe adds that he's "excited about whatever direction we're gonna take. I can't really tell you what it's going to sound like, but I'm expecting it will sound like R.E.M. in 2007 -- whatever that is."

How were the Ronnettes not in before? "Be My Baby" might be the best rock n roll song ever.

Good point, but there were still a lot of legends to plow through from the sixties, so I can't really blame the Hall for taking this long.

Also - I think The Ronnettes, The Shangri-las, etc. were sort of like the Britney Spears/Christine Aguilera of thier day.
Yea, maybe but with alot more edge......

I have a hard time believing that in 40 years Rhino will be bringing out a box set of the pop-tarts of the 90s and 00s. But then what do I know.

LouieB

Also - I think The Ronnettes, The Shangri-las, etc. were sort of like the Britney Spears/Christine Aguilera of thier day.

:hmm

God forbid that we'll be hearing "Oops I Did It Again" 40+ years from now. Yes, they were pure bubblegum, but there was substance to that music. It still garners a reaction. Safe to say you feel the same way about, say, the Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, etc.

What I ment was - they had a whole group of people behind what they did. Case in point - Ronnie Spector recently went through yet another lawsuit with her former husband in an attempt to get money for the songs she sang on - the case failed. I don't mean to knock the whole girl group thing - although, it is not my cup of tea. At least with the early British Invasion bands they played thier own instruments and wrote songs - although some more than others of course.

"says Hagar, who received the official word of Van Halen's selection at his Cabo Wabo Cantina in Mexico, where he and Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony have spent the past week jamming with Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith in a newly developing side project called Chickenfoot."

This would have been an odd lineup 20 years ago but I guess not so much anymore, reguardless, can't wait to hear some chickenfoot!

Personally I think Hermans Hermits and Dave Clark are high art compared to Britany Spears. While there was some lack of substance even in some British invasion groups, the overall quality was still better and way more fun than the current crop of teeny boppers. I think it is interesting that REM is saying they don't want to be inducted before the Monkees, since the Monkees were a totally manufactured group who had people writing songs for them (some of them great pop moments) and playing their instruments for them. The enduring qualities of the Monkees (and Dave Clark and Herman, etc.) comes from a time when things were far more innocent and expectations were lower, but at the same time, somehow listening to any of these groups is far less painful than listening to Christina or Britany. The same is true of the girl groups as well. Attitudes about male/female relationships are clearly different today than they were back then, but musically any of these oldies groups are better to me than the contemporary manufactured groups and singers. I mean really, how long can anyone stand that Justin Timberlake single? But even as stupid a song as it is, Leader of the Pack is still pretty entertaining.

LouieB

And why exactly do I care what Sammy Hagar thinks about the HOF? If they were judged solely on his work with the band, there's no way Van Halen would even be considered. He may be a buffoon, but David Lee Roth is the frontman of the band when they mattered. He and Eddie are clearly the stars of the show.

If they even let Sammy in the room, it should be so he can serve drinks or juggle bowling pins or something.

And why exactly do I care what Sammy Hagar thinks about the HOF? If they were judged solely on his work with the band, there's no way Van Halen would even be considered. He may be a buffoon, but David Lee Roth is the frontman of the band when they mattered.

I couldn't agree more.

Is this the first year REM was on the ballot? I wonder if Stipe pulled some strings or made some statements to get Patti in at the same time. She has been on the ballot for some time.

Horses is one of my favorite albums. Like Lou, I also like some of her newer stuff--Gung Ho, for instance.

Interesting though.....REM did help Patti come back into prominence by letting her sing on "E-Bow the Letter".

I think all four of Patti's most recent albums have something to recommend them.

LouieB

The group (REM) was also inducted into the Georgia Music Hall of Fame in September, where it reunited with Berry and also backed fellow inductee Gregg Allman.

An odd pairing, to be sure, tho I'd kind of like to hear what that sounded like...

The enduring qualities of the Monkees (and Dave Clark and Herman, etc.) comes from a time when things were far more innocent and expectations were lower, but at the same time, somehow listening to any of these groups is far less painful than listening to Christina or Britany.

LouieB

That's because Top 40 hits these days are designed to sound like video games.

Anyone else worthwhile being inducted this year?

Personally I think Hermans Hermits and Dave Clark are high art compared to Britany Spears. While there was some lack of substance even in some British invasion groups, the overall quality was still better and way more fun than the current crop of teeny boppers. I think it is interesting that REM is saying they don't want to be inducted before the Monkees, since the Monkees were a totally manufactured group who had people writing songs for them (some of them great pop moments) and playing their instruments for them. The enduring qualities of the Monkees (and Dave Clark and Herman, etc.) comes from a time when things were far more innocent and expectations were lower, but at the same time, somehow listening to any of these groups is far less painful than listening to Christina or Britany. The same is true of the girl groups as well. Attitudes about male/female relationships are clearly different today than they were back then, but musically any of these oldies groups are better to me than the contemporary manufactured groups and singers. I mean really, how long can anyone stand that Justin Timberlake single? But even as stupid a song as it is, Leader of the Pack is still pretty entertaining.

LouieB

Plus - we are once again talking about the show tunes/brill building thing vs. the blues/country thing.