My main concern is finding a place to live. Is there anyplace I shouldn't even bother looking? Any cool neighborhoods? Other thoughts are welcome, too.

Are looking to live in the city, or outside of it?

Not that I'm a great wealth of knowledge on the subject either way. I grew up closer to DC and have a passing familiarity with Baltimore, but never actually lived there or anything. Fell's Point is nice, tho a bit on the pricier side, I'm sure. Plenty of areas downtown that you'd probably want to avoid, but there are some cool spots tucked away in there--I guess you'll just have to check it out. The 'burbs are okay, tho I can't think of any that I particularly recommend over anything else. Are you moving there for a job/school? I guess that would influence where you might want to look.

avoid Glen Burnie like the plague that it is. Other than that, I haven't lived in bawlmer in too long to suggest what might be a cool neighborhood.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

quarter: I'm moving there for a job (it's not too far from Camden Yards). I'd prefer something close to work, but I'd be willing to live outside the city if I could find something good for a good price.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

quarter: I'm moving there for a job

Baltimore Sun?

a friend lives in the city and calls it BODYMORE MURDERLAND. my suggestion is to not live on that end of town.

yeah, that is spray painted on a wall in the opening scenes of The Wire. I thought it was funny but I didn't know people really called it that.

I guess my suggestion is, don't watch The Wire before you move?

:lol

Yup.

Awesome.

I have an acquaintance named Acacia Sears who works at the Sun. You should look her up, she is into really good music and plays a lot of open mic nights around the city. Her voice is awesome.

As far as Baltimore it's hard to say, if you want to live in the city near downtown I would suggest looking into Fells Point and Canton. That's were all of the partying goes on. You could also try Hampden. It's becoming much more hip and would take you about 20 minutes to get to the Sun paper with traffic in the morning. Also there is Mount Vernon. Definitely ultra hipster. It's known as the gayborhood (please don't be offended) by people I know who live there but is right by the art galleries, Hopkins, Peabody, Brewers Art (the last great microbrewery in the city), Mick O'Sheas great Irish bar, etc... There is also Federal Hill, this would put you pretty close to the Sun paper. Great bar/nightlife neighborhood, very close to downtown. Might be pricey to rent.

As far as the suburbs I could recommend Arbutus. I grew up there and you can be downtown in about 15 minutes. It is close to UMBC (my alma mater) and a community college. You could probably rent there for cheap, but don't expect a nightlife or anything there. Also depending on how much you would want to commute, Anne Arundel county has a lot of nice areas to live in such as the areas Annapolis, Severna Park, Linthicum.

Good luck, please let me know if you need anymore help.

• 1 month later...

A very belated thanks for the great info, even though I ended up in the burbs, out near Perry Hall/White Marsh. I really wanted to live in Fells Point, but parking was dicey at every apartment I looked at (I work pretty late, so I didn't want to have to park blocks away).

Hey! What's new in Baltimore?

How 'bout that chord to replay?

The newest chord in all of Baltimore!

What's new in Baltimore?

What's new in Baltimore?

What's new in Baltimore?

What's new in Baltimore?

Thanks. I am editing sports copy.

ok. here's what you do. any opportunity you can, you absolutely must screw over Peter Angelos in any way you can in the paper. Mis-spell is name, state his age as 20 years older than he is, mention what a tiny little penis he has, whatever.

also caliber and i have tix to see Os vs Red Sox in September so maybe can meet up. Also there's a VC fantasy baseball league--you in this year?

ok. here's what you do. any opportunity you can, you absolutely must screw over Peter Angelos in any way you can in the paper. Mis-spell is name, state his age as 20 years older than he is, mention what a tiny little penis he has, whatever.

Sadly, this doesn't seem strong enough. How about sneaking in scathing editorial with a headline that reads "DIE! DIE! DIE! (or at sell the team, fer chrissakes)"

:pirate

also caliber and i have tix to see Os vs Red Sox in September so maybe can meet up.

My schedule is all over the place, but I'd probably be able to swing something if it's during the day.

Also there's a VC fantasy baseball league--you in this year?

I want to, but I don't think that draft time will work for me. ;)

Sadly, this doesn't seem strong enough. How about sneaking in scathing editorial with a headline that reads "DIE! DIE! DIE! (or at sell the team, fer chrissakes)"

:pirate

If only I were in charge...