So you think YOU'RE cold...

OMG :omg

Think I'll quit my bitchin' about having to scrape the frost off the car in the a.m. :unsure

And yes, very Dr. Seussish. :yes

It can't be THAT cold - the lake isn't even frozen. :) But yeah, all that ice - it really sends a shiver.

Reminds me that I lived in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories for 12 years. In the coldest months of the winter, vehicles cross the Mackenzie River by an ice road/ice bridge. I couldn't find any great pictures of "normal" traffic but here's a guy who didn't make it, closer to spring I suspect:

2305462-Breakthrough-Yellowknife.jpg

I learned while living there that the farenheit and celcius scales overlap at -40. A pretty remarkable place that more people should see (but mostly in the summer)

Yow, can you imagine what must've gone through that driver's head as he heard the cracking sounds and felt the vehicle shifting? :blink I wonder how long he sat there before someone plucked him from his cab & took him to solid ground!

Must've been interesting getting the rig back to land, too. B)

At approximately 7:00AM, on January 12, 2000 a Northbound Super-B-Train truck hauling diesel fuel crashed through the Mackenzie River ice crossing near Fort Providence. Both fuel tanks and the cab of the truck were left partially in the water and on the ice. The driver was treated for hypothermia at the nearby Fort Providence nursing station.

The ice crossing had been open to light traffic only, up to a maximum of 4,000kg, (8,800 lbs) when the 60,000kg (132,000 lbs) + truck went through the ice. The crossing was immediately closed. Spill-response crews pumped the fuel out of the stranded tanker within 48hours. The truck itself was removed on January 15. RTL Robinson's Enterprises Ltd. of Yellowknife led recovery efforts that involved using small dynamite blasts to free the truck from the ice. RCMP and DOT officials were on hand for the recovery along with representatives from RWED and the federal departments of Indian and Northern Affairs and the Department of Fisheries. The ice road was reopened to light traffic on January 17 with a detour around the damaged area. Spray ice construction of the ice crossing continued to bring the road up to a standard for heavy traffic.

That was actually a relatively happy ending. Many of the communities in the north do not have road access in the summer and a series of "winter roads" spring up when the lakes freeze over. Snow plows clear paths across the 100s of lakes in the territory. The mines, and especially the diamond mines, rely almost entirely on winter roads to get supplies in since the cost of moving stuff like heavy equipment and oil/gas by plane is ultra-expensive.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...hl%3Den%26lr%3D

If you go too fast in an 18 wheeler, it creates a tidal wave effect and you can go through. Drives have died doing this - too terrifying to imagine.

Winter%20Road%20(A).jpg

Southeast Michigan is doing its level best to imitate that Switzerland scene.

It's nowhere near it yet (and won't get there, because we're not on a lake), but there are tree limbs coming down all over the place from the weight of the ice. :hmm

Southeast Michigan is doing its level best to imitate that Switzerland scene.

It's nowhere near it yet (and won't get there, because we're not on a lake), but there are tree limbs coming down all over the place from the weight of the ice. :hmm

Ok, as much as I miss home :heartbroken , I do NOT miss that shit. I had to run the A/C last night because it was almost 80 in my apartment and even with windows open, it wouldn't cool down.

I'm thinking Al Gore is onto something.

dcd

My sister is living in Inuvik, Nunavut at the moment. She just got through the 24-hour darkness period. The temp today is -21c with a windchill of -36c. Brrrrrrrrr

It's only slightly less dramatic in Fahrenheit degrees (i.e., still fucking cold): -6 with a wind chill of -33.

Remind me never to holiday in Nunavut. :cold