I have become a firm believer in the power of a capo to a singer, songwriter, guitarist etc. But I rock it with a band/live etc. and I can not for the life of me put a capo on the neck of my guitar without it going out of tune, so I retune to compensate but that slows down the show or band practice. Does anyone know a tip for putting a capo on the neck w/o it going sharp?

Guest Speed Racer
I have become a firm believer in the power of a capo to a singer, songwriter, guitarist etc. But I rock it with a band/live etc. and I can not for the life of me put a capo on the neck of my guitar without it going out of tune, so I retune to compensate but that slows down the show or band practice. Does anyone know a tip for putting a capo on the neck w/o it going sharp?

Electrics, because the action is so low, are persnickity. When I put a capo on my acoustic, I tend to push it accidentally, bending at least the low E to be sharp. The tuners on your guitar aren't moving, you're just bending the strings.

After I place the capo on, I squeeze and lift it without moving its place. All the strings unbend themselves, and then the guitar is in tune again. DO NOT RETUNE YOUR GUITAR WITH THE CAPO ON IF THAT HAPPENS! When you remove the capo, your strings will be out of tune again. Always adjust the capo before retuning strings; generally the capo is just bending strings.

I've found over the years that different capos will give you better results.

There's lots of variables involved in this issue. There's the set up of the guitar itself: String height, action, fret height, neck radius, etc. All are factors that can contribute to intonation problems as you change keys down the neck.

So my first suggestion is to check that the guitars intonation is correct to begin with; ( this may be a condition that doesn't normally present itself until you are changing the scale length. Once you've got that verified, try "playing around" with your capo. Note, the string only needs to "break" across the surface of the fret. If your capo is of the adjustable variety try using less pressure against the fret board: The distance the string is drawn down behind a "high" fret and the fret board can pull a string sharp. Try using the least amount of tension possible to secure the strings in place.

I use a "vise" type capo on an old Stella model flattop I have. It's got large, high frets and if I use a capo with a clothespin type steel spring it'll pull it sharp every time. The "Vise" type uses an adjustable screw on the back of the neck to adjust tension.

You can also try moving the capo around between the frets: There's more tension on the string the closer you are in proximity to the back of the fret. Try centering the capo between the frets and see if that helps.

The longer you use a capo the more flexible the rubber pad that rests against the fret board becomes. They kind of "break-in" and get better with use.

yeah a guitar clerk once told me shubb or die, but i have a somewhat lame reason for resisting: I like having my capo on the headstock of my guitar so I dont lose it and so I can toss it on my guitar quick and easy without fumbling around for it.

DO NOT RETUNE YOUR GUITAR WITH THE CAPO ON IF THAT HAPPENS! When you remove the capo, your strings will be out of tune again.

They are and I have to tune it again, it makes for annoying breaks in anotherwise smooth stream of folk rock.

You could be like me, and use heavier strings. I never have ANY tuning problems. Heavier strings stay in tune better. All this crap I see people bitching about, having to replace tuners, tuning inbetween songs, capos etc., I've never had to deal with any of it.

Just grab a set of 11s. I only use 12s on aucostic these days, and those work well too.

You could be like me, and use heavier strings. I never have ANY tuning problems. Heavier strings stay in tune better. All this crap I see people bitching about, having to replace tuners, tuning inbetween songs, capos etc., I've never had to deal with any of it.

Just grab a set of 11s. I only use 12s on aucostic these days, and those work well too.

I have had trouble with 11s going out of tune, when using a capo.

Where do you put it so you dont lose it? (re--Im a dumby who needs it on my headstock or I will lose the thing along with my sense of security)

It clips nicely between the nut and the tuning pins. Just a slight amount of down pressure and you're set.