Memphis 1/16/2007

Great show. Tweedy talked a LOT. He went on for ten minutes about shit (yes feces). I enjoyed the talk, but I have never grown out of that. He finished the show in front of the mics with you know what (think Ryman). There were no posters, or t shirts for sale. Glenn came out, and played the encore with Jeff. The crowd was great other than some jackass yelling, "Play something we know!." Jeff's mood changed right after that. It was toward the end of the show, but it was obvious Jeff wasn't pleased. All in all it was a great show.

Goodies to come.

He played from about 9-11. The encore was probably 15 minutes.

I thought Glenn sucked, but his stuff isn't my thing.

Everyone was seated until Jeff played Acuff Rose.

cool i cant wait for tomorrow night.. hopefully it will be a respectful crowd

remember what he played with Glenn.. heavy metal drummer im sure was one?

So we know that:

- Jeff talked about crap.

- Played for 2 hours.

- Sang Acuff Rose, California Stars, Theologians and Heavy Metal Drummer.

- Jeff also "played some songs that I haven't heard before. I'm not really up to date. Sorry."

- You think Glenn sucked.

If only all concert reviews could be so thorough.

So we know that:

- Jeff talked about crap.

- Played for 2 hours.

- Sang Acuff Rose, California Stars, Theologians and Heavy Metal Drummer.

- Jeff also "played some songs that I haven't heard before. I'm not really up to date. Sorry."

- You think Glenn sucked.

Yep. Sorry you aren't satisfied. You should have come to Memphis. Dick.

The show was awesome. Started with sunken treasure > patient with me > moutain bed after that (i think), played wait up too. Glenn was uber badass.

Talked quite a bit about shit. Jeff told us that his kid pooped something that looked like a "baby's arm holding an apple." We even played a game involving feces. All told, a scattastic night. Said his wife would find out about all the shit talk on the internet (hi) and he would be chided(sorry).

He finished off with Acuff Rose unamplified. In my quest to stay on the bleeding edge of the internet, ive put a movie up of if for a pal and you folks might as well get it too.

Guest Speed Racer

Reiterating the third post in the thread, that there's 'one in every crowd.' :brow

Thanks for keepin' up the quota.

wow, this makes me so excited for Knoxville in 2 weeks!

acuff-rose solo with no mic is probably one of the most fantastic things ever. i nearly cried at the ryman.

can't wait for a detailed set list!

glad you guys had a good time!

:w00t

off the top of my head:

jeff + glen

i'm the man who loves you

heavy metal drummer

laminated cat

new song*

california stars

jeff solo:

sunken treasure

new song*

i am trying to break your heart

remember the mountain bed

wait up

ruling class

new song*

Jesus, etc.

lost love

new song*

acuff rose

*forgive me for not knowing the new songs. he played four total, i think

...keep posting and we'll fill this thing out...

Guest Speed Racer

Welcome to the boards, and thanks for the partial setlist! :yes As a new member, we usually require you to know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, including the color of Herr Tweedy's boogers, but this time we'll let you slide.

Seriously, thought, thanks for what you gave us. 'Lost Love?' Uh...geez. I'll go cry by myself now for missing that, and think fondly of your magical experience as I smash my face into the kleenex. :lol

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to the boards, and thanks for the partial setlist! :yes As a new member, we usually require you to know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, including the color of Herr Tweedy's boogers, but this time we'll let you slide.

Seriously, thought, thanks for what you gave us. 'Lost Love?' Uh...geez. I'll go cry by myself now for missing that, and think fondly of your magical experience as I smash my face into the kleenex. :lol

Welcome aboard!

thanks! and by the way, as a little inside joke for those in attendance last night, the color of Herr Tweedy's boogers were "Green Day"

That was a fantastic show! I could have used some more songs, but I was too busy laughing to have any reason to complain. I'll do my best to add something so here goes:

Glenn opened his set with "Where The Wild Things Are", then a song he said he adapted for drums. He played "Mobile" and I believe next was "Monkey Chant For Drum Kit" (I'm really not familiar with the song titles so some are just close). But for this song he unleashed boxes of radioactive crickets from what I could tell. One of which he had trouble wrestling back into it's box at the end of the song. I know he did a song called "Promises of What Might" or something along those lines and at least one more song from his new album. I really enjoyed his set but I believe a lot of people were getting kind of restless towards the end of it. Percussive music is certainly an acquired taste, but I give the crowd credit because everyone was very respectful and let Glenn do his thing without interruption.

Jeff as stated before was VERY talkative. He said it was the easiest show he'd ever done because he only played about 4 songs and talked the rest of the time. The highlights of the banter was the poop talk, poop band name game, favorite sides and his re-enactment of him decking the meth head who jumped on stage in Springfield. Jeff was at the top of his game with his banter. He couldn't shut up and kept the crowd laughing the whole time. He also compared himself, negatively of course, to Glenn. While Jeff was in Mexico laying on the beach being lazy, the talented, beautiful Glenn was building a school in Guatemala.

To the music: I apologize for not know the order, but the show was interrupted so often by Jeff's banter, that I lost track. Sunken Treasure, IATTBYH, Jesus Etc., ITMWLY, Theologians, Ruling Class, Laminated Cat, Wait Up, Acuff-Rose, Lost Love, Remember The Mountain Bed, California Stars and 4 new songs. One of the new ones must have been Patient With Me (which was outstanding). One had the lyric, "You were wrong to believe in me". Sorry, but I haven't heard many boots of the new tunes. I do know that he did not play "Walken" so that wasn't one of the new ones. I think he may have played "Lost Love" for Jody Stephens. I don't know for sure, but I believe he was in the audience. But Jeff said he recorded "Lost Love" in Memphis, or at least played it with a guy from Memphis (Jody). So I don't know if that will be a regular in his sets or not. Jesus ETC was a request from the audience. He was about to play something else and said he would try to play Jesus and see how it went. It was incredible! I thought his playing and singing was great. His voice got stronger as the night went on. The only song he really fumbled through was "Wait Up". I could tell by the smirks/frustrated smiles on his face that he was not happy with his playing on that one, but it was enjoyable all the same. He kind of chastised somebody for giving him a "WHOO" when he punched the echo on that song because he said he felt like a special needs person who was being cheered for doing something simple. The mood never really got heavy. Jeff teased the audience and complimented them just as much. I don't think there was anybody who didn't enjoy themselves. Except for maybe that one dude, but that wasn't too big a deal. Acuff-Rose was mesmerizing. The theater was so quiet while he played. It was a definite goose bump moment.

This was an incredible opportunity for us fans who don't get chances to see Jeff solo. I'm glad he decided to hit a few more cities and am grateful for one of the best shows I've ever seen.