Memphis 1/16/2007

Whoa, was that a new song, or "You Were Wrong" from the first Loose Fur record?

See, I'm not sure about that. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't own Loose Fur's first. That very well could have been the song he played. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

Whoa, was that a new song, or "You Were Wrong" from the first Loose Fur record?

see, i thought it was "you were wrong," but i swear he said afterwards that the song was going to be on the new record. maybe i'm also getting the banter mixed up, as there was a lot of it.

banter highlights:

1) "what's your favorite side?" -- jeff's discussion about memphis' great food led to a free-for-all between jeff and the audience about favorite side dishes / "vegetables" as we call them in the south.

2) "the game" -- after the scatological humor at the beginning of the show jeff said, "remind me later to tell you about this game i know," which turned out to be the following: take any band name and imagine its inspiration came from a specific shit. literally. the audience began yelling band names, and some of the more hilarious ones were: the rolling stones, weezer, green day, black sabbath, big star, muddy waters, howlin' wolf. someone yelled "the beach boys" and jeff said, "i think you found the only band name that doesn't work in this game. good job."

anyway. outstanding sound in that room, and a great show. i told my friend the only way he could have made me happier was by playing for about seven hours longer. ;-) the mic-less "acuff" was a life moment for me...

See, I'm not sure about that. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't own Loose Fur's first. That very well could have been the song he played. Sorry if I got your hopes up!

:) Don't worry - I'm more excited if he's playing "You Were Wrong" than some random new song I don't know anyway!

Thanks for the details, guys.

It was Loose Fur's you were wrong.

The new songs were Patient with Me, the ruling class, and something called Sky Blue Sky and possibly abother new song that he said it will be on the new album and sounded very Being Thereish.

It was Loose Fur's you were wrong.

The new songs were Patient with Me, the ruling class, and something called Sky Blue Sky and possibly abother new song that he said it will be on the new album and sounded very Being Thereish.

Being Thereish :shifty :brow

There was one song I didn't recognize, and it definitely reminded me of Being There. That's all I could think of the whole time he was playing that one - how it sounded like something from Being There.

Sky Blue Sky and Patient With Me were great. I was really surprised to hear You Were Wrong. Lost Love was great, along with Wait Up and Acuff-Rose. Those were definitely some songs I never thought I'd hear in person.

The stand out for me, though, was Not for the Season (or whatever you want to call it). It really rocked. I really, really wish Wilco would play that one again. Nels could kill on it.

I didn't see any tapers there, which surprised me. Anyone know if there any?

Everyone was seated until Jeff played Acuff Rose.

I think people stood up around "California Stars" (sorry - i'm nitpicking!). Anyway, the show was phenomenal. First time I've seen Jeff play solo...my faves were "Remember the Mountain Bed" and "Acuff Rose". Of the banter, my favorite was the (re: decking the fan in MO), "I went from Steven Seagal to Gilbert Gottfried!" and its accompanying motions...and I think I laughed for about ten minutes after he said that. I hope someone recorded the show so I can download it! :music

. Of the banter, my favorite was the (re: decking the fan in MO), "I went from Steven Seagal to Gilbert Gottfried!" and its accompanying motions...and I think I laughed for about ten minutes after he said that.

My favorite part of the banter was the dude in the balcony who yelled "COLE SLAW!!!!!!!!!" I thin Jeff got a real kick out of that.