That Thing You Do!: The Directors Cut

From what is known:

Runtime is 45 minutes longer

several new special features (interviews, reunion, Japan press tour home video, etc.)

http://www.amazon.com/That-Thing-You-Do-Di...=UTF8&s=dvd

Still remains one of my favorite movies based on how purely fun it is to watch. I would never call it groundbreaking, but the band performances (especially of "Little Wild One" and "Dance with Me Tonight") rival many live DVDs (of real bands) I've watched in terms of having that "feel" to them. They really did a great job of simulating what it feels like to play music with other people, infront of other people. And as a film editor (and as a person who just watches a lot of movies), this is the type of refeshingly straightfoward type of film that I can come back to time and time again and not get tired of. Anyways, enough of my bullshitting...

Just thought some of you might be interested to know this is coming out, I'm excited to see what they have added to it, but I wouldn't ditch the theatical cut yet.

From what is known:

several new special features (interviews, reunion, Japan press tour home video, etc.)

Still remains one of my favorite movies based on how purely fun it is to watch. I would never call it groundbreaking, but the band performances (especially of "Little Wild One" and "Dance with Me Tonight") rival many live DVDs (of real bands) I've watched in terms of having that "feel" to them. They really did a great job of simulating what it feels like to play music with other people, infront of other people. And as a film editor (and as a person who just watches a lot of movies), this is the type of refeshingly straightfoward type of film that I can come back to time and time again and not get tired of. Anyways, enough of my bullshitting...

Just thought some of you might be interested to know this is coming out, I'm excited to see what they have added to it, but I wouldn't ditch the theatical cut yet.

i hope the extra 45 minutes features no additional tom hanks. he needs to disappear for the remainder of the decade. the movie is great though. i always watch it when it comes on cable.

If only he could take back his performance in THe DaVinci Code.....if only I could get a refund on my time I watched it too....(Luckily I saw some of The Terminal in the meantime, which I did like...)

LouieB

I liked this movie, but I guess I don't see why a "director's cut" is necessary.

If, however, the extra running time is all live performance footage, it might be fun to watch ... once.

From what is known:

Yeah this is going on the wishlist. I am glad I'm not the only one that loves this film. I second tugmoose's recommendation of the Commitments, the book is great also, and I'll have to check out Stardust.

--Mike

• 3 months later...
Yeah this is going on the wishlist. I am glad I'm not the only one that loves this film. I second tugmoose's recommendation of the Commitments, the book is great also, and I'll have to check out Stardust.

--Mike

:P

Now I am convinced I am in the right place.

I love this film and the sense of innocence it captures.

More and more I am glad I found this haven of Wilco fans.

I love the movie, and thank you for getting the title song stuck in my head, as it invariably does as soon as I see/hear it mentioned.

you know the dudes from Fountains of Wayne wrote it? :rock

Quite a good piece of trivia you have there. I didn't know that. Did someone seek them out to write "that kind" of song or was it something they already had? Please, do tell more.

There's a guy named Mike Viola who did a lot of the other material for the movie and sang backups on the songs. I saw his band, The Candy Butchers, play That Thing You Do shortly after the movie came out.

There's a guy named Mike Viola who did a lot of the other material for the movie and sang backups on the songs. I saw his band, The Candy Butchers, play That Thing You Do shortly after the movie came out.

Candy Butchers fucking rule. If you haven't heard these two albums, you should:

d63831339he.jpgf158497q0c9.jpg

Not all of them, just Adam Schlesinger. If I remember correctly, the studio accepted submissions and Schlesinger's tune won the contest. Schlesinger also contributed some songs to the recent Music and Lyrics (the one with Hugh Grant as a has-been pop star).

That Thing You Do! is a terrific movie. I still think the scene where the band first hears their record on the radio is the best of its kind--it really captures their sense of exhilaration.

My pre-order, from Deep Discount, actually arrived a few days early... it came last Friday, I think.