Tulsa 01/19/07

Great show; JT started out a little rough but got it together quickly. More scatalogical humor, very chatty. Rowdy Crowd.

Setlist:

Sunken Treasure

Blue-Eyed Soul

Remember the Mountain Bed

Airline to Heaven

The Ruling Class

Patient With Me

Heavy Metal Drummer

Screen Door

Gun

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

Shot in the Arm

Encore 1

Can't Keep From Talking

Late Greats

The Thanks I Get

Encore 2

Theologians

ELT

Jesus, Etc.

I'm the Man Who Loves You

Acuff Rose

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight was my first experience seeing Tweedy, either solo or with Wilco. I was told by my friends that it would be a special experience; that it's a great show to kick back and really listen to.

I had 5th row seats, but unfortunately I was sitting in front of about 5 of the most obnoxious, drunken frat boys in the world, who would not stop WHOOOing or yelling "Jeff F***** Tweedy!" over and over. Tweedy was a good sport about it, but made several comments about the obnoxiousness of the crowd. He even pointed one of the guys out, calling him an "alpha male" and all but accusing him of messing up the show. The dude kept yelling for "Heavy Metal Drummer," and Jeff finally said "oh, I'll play it, then I'm getting the hell out of here."

Jeff sounded amazing, from what I could hear when someone wasn't yelling in my ear. It was a real treat especially when he stood at the front of the stage unplugged and away from the mic and sang "Acuff Rose." I had heard that Tweedy was looking foreward to playing a solo show at the historic Cain's Ballroom, and he seemed really frustrated that he couldn't just come out and play without people having to make themselves part of the show. At one point one of the dudes yelled out "Play all night, bitch!"

Sigh.

So it seemed like a great show cut short, and nearly ruined by some overzealous alpha males that should've gone to a skinnard show instead.

It seemed like the crowd had cabin fever after a week of icy weather and decided to unload its frustrations on Jeff. I'm sure he felt helpless at times. He called for security once and I doubt he was joking. I had been in Vegas all week so I was considerably more mellow.

This was my first solo show, so all I have to compare with is bootlegs. But it seemed like the crowd took song requests to an obnoxious level.

Next time Oklahoma, less yelling and more singing please.

It seemed like the crowd had cabin fever after a week of icy weather and decided to unload its frustrations on Jeff. I'm sure he felt helpless at times. He called for security once and I doubt he was joking. I had been in Vegas all week so I was considerably more mellow.

I think you guys are severely overreacting. He was obviously joking with the security comment, and with the rest of it as well. It seemed to me like everyone there who wasn't taking themselves too seriously had a great time. It was a fairly rowdy crowd (as rowdy as it gets when half the place is sitting down the entire time), but Tweedy knew that from the very beginning and played off it very well I thought. Maybe it wasn't the typical Jeff Tweedy solo show, I don't know, but it was a hell of a lot of fun. He was funny as hell and seemed to enjoy it a great deal.

Great avatar, by the way.

He was obviously joking with the security comment, and with the rest of it as well.

Then why did security come and chase the people back to their seats? I still enjoyed the show, but I thought there was a lot of inappropriate behavior in the crowd.

It was a great show...............my friend who never likes any of my music even enjoyed the evening. As for the fans............I had a couple of guys that kept yelling.........It was funny the first time..........but all night long, after every song got old quick. I really think that Tweedy enjoyed playing tonight, and was just joking about calling security............he was the one that asked people to come up for questions in the first place. It wasn't like anybody got up on the stage or anything. He was just calling the guy an alpha male, to make fun of the situation that happened a couple of months ago, when he knocked the f#ck out of the guy, put him in a headlock, and pulled his heart out. LMAO........................it was a great show, and I can't wait for Wilco to come around............hopefully sooner than later.

I really think that Tweedy enjoyed playing tonight, and was just joking about calling security

OK fine, I concede. He was joking. :)

He was just calling the guy an alpha male, to make fun of the situation that happened a couple of months ago, when he knocked the f#ck out of the guy, put him in a headlock, and pulled his heart out. LMAO

Yeah, his tongue-in-cheek description of the incident cracked me up.

I read in another folder that he said 'The Thanks I Get' will not be on the new album tonight.

He said it would be on the album after that. :P

Then why did security come and chase the people back to their seats? I still enjoyed the show, but I thought there was a lot of inappropriate behavior in the crowd.

I have no idea. Frankly, I didn't see that happen. If it did, they were either being overzealous or simply clearing out the aisle. It doesn't change that he was clearly joking, just as he was joking when he took that silly kung fu stance. His tone was one of mocked fear. While he probably was annoyed at some of the screamed requests, etc. he played along for the most part and used it to his advantage.

While I do care about how Tweedy felt about the crowd, I was mainly frustrated about how the crowd interfered with my enjoyment of the show. I go to hear amazing music, not yapping and yelling. I know I wasn't alone in my sentiments. The guy next to me was really bothered by it. He even grabbed a guy who was making noise during the hushed "Acuff-Rose."

While I do care about how Tweedy felt about the crowd, I was mainly frustrated about how the crowd interfered with my enjoyment of the show. I go to hear amazing music, not yapping and yelling. I know I wasn't alone in my sentiments. The guy next to me was really bothered by it. He even grabbed a guy who was making noise during the hushed "Acuff-Rose."

the hushing was a little much, people even got pissed when others tried to sing along w/ him............give me a break...........people need to loosen up a bit...............I do agree the some people in the crowd were unruly, but it in no way ruined my evening. I came out of the show, with a very good feeling, and was glad I drove over an hour to see the show. BTW, thank you for the two people that DIDN"T show up.................I really enjoyed your reserve seats.

I thought it was funny when Jeff explained he was going to fight the alpha-male "by proxy" by picking someone else in the audience to go fight him.

I thought he looked annoyed when right from the start the audience was talking and loud "Woo!"s randomly during Sunken Treasure, then I think he just decided to accept it and go with it and joke about it instead of rant. The singing along and the loose atmosphere was great, but those 5 or so drunk frat guys... I think most people in the place wanted to kill 'em.

i enjoyed jeff's performance, it was a great set and he seemed to be in good humor. the obnoxious frat boys were a bit much, along with the constant "whoo's" and such. All that made it a little hard to enjoy at times, just because it was so distracting and took away from the chemistry that jeff creates when he performs.

in conclusion, i'll probably never go to tulsa again for a show. i'd rather drive an extra couple hours and see him with a less disrespectful crowd.

i think that jeff had a great time in tulsa. i think he knew early on that he was not gonna win the quiet game w/ the crowd so he played along with what the crowd was giving him. it was a very "loose" show. i can't wait to hear this show. i seen at least 2 tapers. 1 right in front of the soundboard and the other was sitting 5 seats away from me on the 2nd row.(thanks gordon)

[quote name='jonshell' date='Jan 20 2007, 03:47 PM' post='810549'

in conclusion, i'll probably never go to tulsa again for a show. i'd rather drive an extra couple hours and see him with a less disrespectful crowd.

that's fine, tulsa fans will do fine without you. there were a few zealous fans that probably don't read via chicago and don't know that you aren't supposed to yell during a solo show. i do think those less than 1% of the crowd were a bit obtrusive, but jeff handled them with professionalism and grace and drew the other 99% of the fans into a very intimate, fun, personal "sing along" that was truly one of the highlights of my concert viewing experience. being 3 feet from tweedy at the edge of the stage at the historic cain's ballroom (a stage that has held dylan, u2, bob wills, willie nelson, buddy guy, etc, etc, etc) and watching him play acuff-rose on that weathered j-45 was as close to metaphorical nirvana as i think i may ever get.