Tulsa 01/19/07

I feel that overall this was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. Jeff did not have control of the crowd. Granted it was not the whole crowd and that the actions of the crowd is not the fault of Jeff, but it could have been handled a lot better. For an artist that has been playing for as long as he has I expected more. The stories he told and the way he kept talking to the section of

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I would have enjoyed the show much more, had I not been sitting literally in the seats in front of those drunken frat boys. I can take some woos and yelling out the names of songs, but they were bordering on heckling. One of them even commented that they wanted to hear themselves on a bootleg. Yelling "Play all night, bitch" is probably not the best thing to yell at an acoustic show.

I felt like I was in some bizarro version of that Dylan documentary where he was playing electric and the crowd was yelling at him to sing folk. Tweedy was trying to do an acoustic show, and these dudes were wanting electric.

And yes, Tweedy was a good sport, and by the end I think he figured out a groove to get in to. But I was right in front of these guys, and I saw the dirty looks he would give them when they would yell out "Handshake Drugs!" WHILE he was playing something else.

i can't wait to hear this show. i seen at least 2 tapers. 1 right in front of the soundboard and the other was sitting 5 seats away from me on the 2nd row.(thanks gordon)

Great show. It's a Friday night at the Cain's, a place with a spring-loaded dance floor that just ain't meant for chairs. Wooing is to be expected, and Jeff played to his crowd. A good time was had by all, and the "alpha male frat guys," sitting in the chairs directly in front of me, really weren't all that bad. I've seen MUCH MUCH worse at Dave Matthews acoustic shows.

I spoke with the taper on the 2nd row after the show and gave him my card. He said he was going upload the show to the Via Chicago torrent site. However, the tracker seems to be down. How long has it been down? Is there another Wilco torrent site out there in cyberspace?

A few pics courtesy of atomicblooz :wub

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

Long time listener, first time caller...

Last night was a BLAST. We drove in from Fayetteville, and all broke our Cain's cherries. Gruene Hall is the only venue I've been to that can even compete with Cain's. I felt like the place was full ghosts, armed with fiddles and guitars.

Only at the very beginning of the show was I annoyed. When I realized he was going to roll with the punches, and play "friday night songs", I bellied up and began to pound through my sixer of bud heavy. THAT'S RIGHT, you can buy a six pack of cans and take it back to your seat!!! That's another reason why Cain's is the tits.

I was drinking, not exactly in moderation. And, I was affiliated with a fraternity college. But I swear I wasn't one of those douchebags yelling in the front. I hope Wilco comes back to Fayetteville, but I'm not sure they will. He seemed kind of shocked he was there last time.

P.S.- Tsunami Sushi in dowtown Tulsa is crack rock!

Great show. It's a Friday night at the Cain's, a place with a spring-loaded dance floor that just ain't meant for chairs. Wooing is to be expected, and Jeff played to his crowd. A good time was had by all, and the "alpha male frat guys," sitting in the chairs directly in front of me, really weren't all that bad. I've seen MUCH MUCH worse at Dave Matthews acoustic shows.

I spoke with the taper on the 2nd row after the show and gave him my card. He said he was going upload the show to the Via Chicago torrent site. However, the tracker seems to be down. How long has it been down? Is there another Wilco torrent site out there in cyberspace?

http://bt.etree.org/

put it there - no one will have to mess with sign-ups that way

"play all night bitch" and yelling during acoustic solo songs is enough to get thrown out...where was the event staff? sounds like a terribly run venue. They will throw you out in a heartbeat at the ryman for pulling those stunts.

the hushing was a little much, people even got pissed when others tried to sing along w/ him............give me a break...........people need to loosen up a bit...............I do agree the some people in the crowd were unruly, but it in no way ruined my evening. I came out of the show, with a very good feeling, and was glad I drove over an hour to see the show. BTW, thank you for the two people that DIDN"T show up.................I really enjoyed your reserve seats.

did those 2 seats happen to be 2nd row, exact middle? probably were mine, car trouble, couldn't make it.

I wish that I could see this show the way it could have been. If Jeff could have played above the noise level, maybe we would have seen more of the delicate songs that he has written. I, personally. would have liked to have seen him be able to get into his talents on guitar, etc. That, theoretically, is why people listen, enjoy, then pay to see someone. Right? Maybe? I guess not. There will always be people trying to upstage the artist, but this night was ridiculous. People filing up to the stage (in a drunken haze) to talk to him like they were heading to be saved. I don't understand. It seems as though they were doing what Jeff said he didn't want to do on this night. That is try to "recreate a scene from a movie I was in." It could have been special, not a spectacle. I've lived in Tulsa my whole life and was extremely ashamed. I saw, all within the span of that show, why some acts refuse to play here and why our local music scene (which has many hidden talents) will never aspire to much. It's a waste. People here are not interested in dedicating themselves to something that doesn't directly benefit them or get them attention. Hence the desire to have the attention at the Cain's show. I didn't pay to see audience members make a mockery of this town. I wanted to see a performer, who means something to a lot of people, share his art with us. Instead, he had to be on the defense and distracted from his craft. He has written so many great songs. While these include "Heavy Metal Drummer" and "Shot In The Arm," they are not the only ones. He stated, multiple times, he would play ALL of those songs. Even pointed out that, "Yeah...those are all songs that I know" when people kept screaming. Don't you think he wishes he wouldn't have had to interract with the audience that way. I don't know. Maybe he is an easy target now. People want to see what he'll do. I have a fear that his shows will never be the same. Never simple. Tulsa, you created a memory, that's for sure. Unfortunately, I think a damaged one for Jeff. Performers don't refer to their shows as an "anxiety dream" when they are having a good time. This is all I have to say. You can cut and paste sections of this and debate it, but I'm not going to be involved. I've been here long enough to know the results of this behavior.

I wish that I could see this show the way it could have been.... You can cut and paste sections of this and debate it, but I'm not going to be involved. I've been here long enough to know the results of this behavior.

It was a great show. And Jeff enjoyed it too, here's why:

1. Jeff is the lead man of a rock band. :rock

2. His fans appreciate the music and pay him money to see his shows with Wilco. :worship

3. His fans also will pay to see him without the band. :thumbup

4. Jeff's pays a booking manager to pick the right venue and book his shows. :shifty

5. The Cain's Ballroom is a bar. :cheers

6. People drink at bars. They have a good time. :beer :dancing :beer

7. If Jeff was truly looking for a stale, shut-the-fuck-up-and-hear-my-augmented-7th-ring-out-style atmosphere, there are plenty of different performance rooms available in Tulsa, including several rooms at the Tulsa PAC with similar capacity as the Cain's. ;)

8. "Older" people pay a lot of money to go and "listen" to these events every month (such as Irish dance bands that you've never heard of) while they quaff shitty Chardonnay from a box, or maybe the occasional Dewars and soda. These "older" people are extremely respectful of the act and only talk during "intermission" while they buy another pack of Mentos. :mellow

9. Jeff's pays a booking manager to pick the right venue and book his shows. :shifty

He'll be back, and next time, he'll bring the whole band.

victorgator, i couldn't have said it better. cain's was, is, and will always be THE premier venue to see live music in this area. people need to get the hell over their expectations and simply enjoy the show for what it was: an opportunity to see a gifted musician recongnize the crowd he's playing to, very quickly adapt his arsenal, and ultimately deliver a fantastic show that ultimately turned into probably one of the most positive music experiences i and likely the naysayers have ever witnessed.

victorgator, i couldn't have said it better. cain's was, is, and will always be THE premier venue to see live music in this area. people need to get the hell over their expectations and simply enjoy the show for what it was: an opportunity to see a gifted musician recongnize the crowd he's playing to, very quickly adapt his arsenal, and ultimately deliver a fantastic show that ultimately turned into probably one of the most positive music experiences i and likely the naysayers have ever witnessed.

amen, brother. amen!

I felt like I was in some bizarro version of that Dylan documentary where he was playing electric and the crowd was yelling at him to sing folk. Tweedy was trying to do an acoustic show, and these dudes were wanting electric.

This is the best description I've read. I told my sister in the car ride home that the crowd wanted a Wilco show instead of a Tweedy show, which just about ruined it for those like me who have been waiting for a solo show for years.

Those who are defending the crowd's behavior are just wrong.

Those who are defending the crowd's behavior are just wrong.

Did you stay for Acuff Rose from the edge of the stage? I did. You do remember when he hinted that he would maybe do that without amplification earlier in the show, right? And when he did play it, when he did unplug, after coming out for a SECOND ENCORE, there was some VERY limited hushing by the crowd, and then COMPLETE silence. No bottles clinking, no drunk frattys, nothing. The sound of Tweedy's guitar was wonderful, especially from the front row ducking between the sections. I have never witnessed the Cain's so quiet when filled with 1000 people. The crowd, as unruly as you obviously perceived them to be, DID shut up and listen when Tweedy truly wanted that to happen.

I look forward to going to another Tweedy solo show, but I seriously doubt it will be as good as the one at the Cain's last Friday. I'm sorry that you didn't get as much from it as I did.

Acuff Rose was probably the high point as far as crowd behavior. I remember all the silence prompted one guy in the audience to loudly say, "Shut the f*** up!" (After that, though, the crowd was remarkably quiet compared to the rest of the evening)

Just because Jeff's a fantastic performer and can still pull off a good show despite an obnoxious crowd, it's still no excuse for disrepect to Jeff and everyone else in the audience who can act like reasonable people instead of attention-starved children. I guess intolerance is the only thing that's not tolerable, though, so I'll just have to learn to suck it up.

edit: Instead of "obnoxious crowd" I should have said "a handful of obnoxious people"... Most of the crowd was fine, even if a little talkative.

One of my post-concert thoughts has been to play the "what if" game, which I probably shouldn't do, because we could go in a million different directions with hypotheticals, but here goes ...

WHAT IF the crowd has no "Alpha Male" in it? What if no drunk girls (and guys) go up to the stage? What if there is less inappropriate "WOOOO"ing and no repeated shouted requests during his playing? What if it's not a "Friday Night" crowd? ...

Then MAYBE, MAYBE Jeff plays an extra song or two ... maybe he does THREE encores ... Maybe he plays the all-time greatest set-list ever ... Maybe he plays that special song YOU wanted to hear but didn't get to ...

Great show, nontheless, but how much better could it have been?

I'm sure I would have enjoyed the show much more, had I not been sitting literally in the seats in front of those drunken frat boys. I can take some woos and yelling out the names of songs, but they were bordering on heckling. One of them even commented that they wanted to hear themselves on a bootleg. Yelling "Play all night, bitch" is probably not the best thing to yell at an acoustic show.

Did anyone ever just turn around and tell them to "shut the f--k up"? It either works or makes things worse. I would have tried to get them thrown out. Why is it "ok" to put up with people yelling shit out at an acoustic show?? Because they serve booze there? Doesn't work for me. You paid good money to see a performer, I don't care if it's Jeff Tweedy or Guns and freaking Roses. You shouldn't have to put up with it...

Did you stay for Acuff Rose from the edge of the stage? I did.

Yeah, I was there, second row, for the whole show. And yes, it was a beautiful song performed by an amazing artist. My favorite artist, in fact. But I was still distracted by the yapping and shushing behind me. Maybe I'm being too negative about this. But it wasn't difficult for me to be quiet, and I don't understand why it was so hard for so many people.

Clay is right ... what if ...

I mean, there was a particular song I really wanted to hear, but I wasn't going to rush the stage and make a spectacle of myself to make my desires known.

The official review from the Tulsa World:

070123_d3_quietriot_D3tweedy23.jpg

Quiet riot

By MATT GLEASON World Scene Writer

1/23/2007

Jeff Tweedy lost control of his Tulsa audience but gave an incredible show

Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy stood alone at the mike wondering aloud if this night -- a Friday night solo show at the Cain's Ballroom -- was actually happening, or if, perhaps, it was all just an anxiety dream he could soon wake from.

He was awake, all right, and the rowdy crowd in front of him was ready for another acoustic ditty.

At that, Tweedy joked, "Are there any psychiatrists in the audience?"

He was lighthearted about the fact, but Tweedy had lost control of his audience -- and he knew it.

He could see that this lot of Okie revelers weren't the sort to stand quietly and observe his fantastically enjoyable one-man show.

At one point, he actually kidded the fans that they reminded him of an audience he once knew in Springfield, Mo.

"I killed somebody," he said. "Have you seen that one on YouTube? I ripped his head off. I reached inside his body, ate his heart and then finished the song."

Later, he'd joke that he'd like to beat up the designated "alpha male" in the audience just to prove his dominance over the crowd. Then he changed his mind; he'd rather someone fight the bloke for

him by "proxy."

Maybe the fans didn't know Tweedy is not the sort to tolerate noisiness -- as is clearly evident in an impassioned rant he gave on his new concert DVD -- but the Tulsa fans meant no disrespect, Jeff. They simply wanted to talk to their pals and maybe even yell WHOO! as they admired the way you stripped down your songs to their barest, most revealing forms with nothing but an acoustic guitar and the occasional lonesome wail of a harmonica.

Luckily, Tweedy accepted the noise and moved on, giving an incredible performance that was sprinkled with hilarious stories, like the one about his 7-year-old's awe-inspiring . . . um . . . well, let's just say it involved a toilet and a camera.

The roughly 90-minute performance, including two encores, culled tunes spanning the singer-songwriter's entire career, beginning with his alt-country outfit Uncle Tupelo's "Gun," "Screen Door" and "Acuff-Rose."

Then there were glimpses into Wilco's early days with selections from its first three albums: "Blue-Eyed Soul," "Sunken Treasure," "ELT" and "A Shot in the Arm."

Of course, there were a bevy of tracks off of Wilco's seminal 2002 offering "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot": "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," "I'm the Man Who Loves You," "Heavy Metal Drummer" and "Jesus, Etc."

The only songs off Wilco's last record, "A Ghost Is Born," were "Theologians" and "The Late Greats."

As for side-project tunes, he played Loose Fur's "The Ruling Class" -- that brotha' can whistle -- and Golden Smog's "I Can't Keep From Talking."

Of the new material, he brought out the tender "Be Patient With Me," and the feisty "Is That the Thanks I Get," the latter which had the crowd singing along to its anthemic line, "We can make it better."

Tweedy was in Oklahoma -- Woody Guthrie territory -- so he paid homage to the folk legend with "Airline to Heaven" and, one of the several highlights of the evening, the gorgeous "Remember the Mountain Bed."

For his final song of the night, Tweedy made good on a promise he had made five songs into the show: To stand on the edge of the stage and play without any amplification.

So there he was, a man who hates playing to noisy crowds, about to test just how quiet a rowdy bunch of Okies could get.

The song was "Acuff-Rose," a song that goes, "Early in the morning, sometimes late at night/Sometimes I get the feeling that everything's all right."

I got that feeling myself once I heard the sweet sound of a man singing and playing a guitar finally get what he wanted: The audience shutting up and listening.

the hushing was a little much, people even got pissed when others tried to sing along w/ him............give me a break...........people need to loosen up a bit...............I do agree the some people in the crowd were unruly, but it in no way ruined my evening. I came out of the show, with a very good feeling, and was glad I drove over an hour to see the show. BTW, thank you for the two people that DIDN"T show up.................I really enjoyed your reserve seats.

hope you enjoyed those seats....i got stuck in Arkansas. I'll let you buy me a couple of beers at the next wilco show :cheers