Will Wilco Ever Play In Vermont Again?

I have seen Wilco in Vermont twice - I live here - I saw them once the day my father died at the Flynn Theatre - and once at the Memorial Auditorium - despite the fact that my father's death was a sad day (brain cancer) - the Wilco show that night made it bareable.....and for times throughout the show... even forgetable.

Now when the hell are you guys coming back? I'm a 32 year old hippie who doesn't drink anymore, doesn't smoke weed anymore, keeps his BMW parked in his driveway and walks to work and everywhere else daily....where is my fix.....where is my fun....where is my soul music......where is my Wilco?

And if you all can't make it then Jeff, by all means...you are welcome to come alone - I'm sure the Flynn would be happy to have you -

Thanks for letting me vent....

Mike Carbone

Burlington, VT

i've seen wilco in vt, my home as well, four times. twice at higher ground when it was in winooski, and the flynn and memorial auditorium shows already mentioned. after the second higher ground show i bought john a beer and chatted with him at the bar about a local dj he had dated that i knew as well. we both agreed she was real high strung, and beautiful. he told me that wilco loved coming to vt and they always try to have breakfast at pennycluse, a hip hot spot. i think they'd spent their day off here that week and checked out the foliage. it was about two weeks after 9/11, they were only a four piece and jeff told the crowd that night was the best guitar playing he had ever done. later my zany friends that knew little of wilco walked onto the tour bus and wouldn't get off until jeff gave them his bic lighter.

their last show here, 9/30/04 at memorial aud. was barely half full. i ate a ticket 'cause most of my friends simply don't like the venue. the sound is pretty muddy. it is an old gym with metal rafters. but it was a great show, they played "cars can't escape" which i thought was a real treat. every other show on that tour sold out or was close to it. since then, they've played montreal 3 times, portland, me 2 or 3 times and boston...well of course they're gonna play there consistently.

as for the flynn theater....they don't seem to pull in acts like wilco very often, at least not anymore. i think it has to do with $.

so i guess wilco expects us vermonters to haul our asses out of state if we can't even fill up our own venue. i know i've been travelling since.

the real question is will wilco ever play in NYC again

I just applied to NYU, and, of all my hopes and fears of college, careers, etc, the ONE thing that bothers me above all is that, if I get accepted into NYU and attend, It'll be so hard to get to see Wilco.

I just applied to NYU, and, of all my hopes and fears of college, careers, etc, the ONE thing that bothers me above all is that, if I get accepted into NYU and attend, It'll be so hard to get to see Wilco.

As an NYU grad, let me just say that while it may be harder to see Wilco, you will have the opportunity to see more music than you will have time (or money) for.

I have seen Wilco in Vermont twice - I live here - I saw them once the day my father died at the Flynn Theatre - and once at the Memorial Auditorium - despite the fact that my father's death was a sad day (brain cancer) - the Wilco show that night made it bareable.....and for times throughout the show... even forgetable.

Now when the hell are you guys coming back? I'm a 32 year old hippie who doesn't drink anymore, doesn't smoke weed anymore, keeps his BMW parked in his driveway and walks to work and everywhere else daily....where is my fix.....where is my fun....where is my soul music......where is my Wilco?

And if you all can't make it then Jeff, by all means...you are welcome to come alone - I'm sure the Flynn would be happy to have you -

Thanks for letting me vent....

Mike Carbone

Burlington, VT

I'd like them to play in Burlington again too, definitely one of my my favorite places. The streets of Burlington were where I met the guys for the first time as well, which was really cool.

However, like jbat said, that last Memorial Auditorium show was the most sparcely attended Wilco show I've ever seen. That probably has something to do with it.

Btw, if you read this Carbone/Dupree, are you originally from New Jersey??? If so, I think I know you. If not, sorry for the insult from a flatlander. :D