Getting rid of the crackles when playing new Vinyl

I use rubbing alcohol to clean records.

from what i've read i wouldn't use glass cleaner or 100% alcohol either. maybe 10% alcohol in deionized water. there are lots of "recipes" on the internet.

and the turntable that has a usb connection still has a needle. in fact all turntables except the laser turntable have needles, or styli if you prefer.

and here's the price list on the laser turntable:

Model Speed (rpm) Disc Size (inches) Price

LT-1LRC 33, 45 7", 10", 12" US $15,000

LT-1XRC 33, 45, 78 7", 10", 12" $17,000

LT-2XRC 33, 45, 78 7", 8", 9", 10", 11", 12" $19,000

Declicker Noise Reduction in Real Time

$2,800

HW-16.5 Record Vacuum Cleaner $500

I have a copy of Tom Waits Mule Variations I bought used, with no visible problems that sounds like a 78 bought in a junk shop.

LouieB

Huh.

One of my nephews just bought me this new and I was recently marveling at how good it sounded straight from the wrapping.

Inconsistencies in the production process I suppose.

Huh.

One of my nephews just bought me this new and I was recently marveling at how good it sounded straight from the wrapping.

Inconsistencies in the production process I suppose.

In this case I assume the previous owner abused it somehow that wasn't obvious.

Yeah, treading the same ground as before here, but the crackle is a very small price to pay for the organic sound of vinyl. You'll have to get used to it.
Exactly.

LouieB

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I ran into some extra cash and got one of these:

NGRD3_000.JPG

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NGRD3

All I can say is that you don't have to live with the crackles. I've tried a dozen or so records so far and I was shocked - beyond my already high expectations - at what this thing can do. Brand new records, that I was sure had noise due to manufacturing defects, are dead silent after one cleaning.

Granted, this isn't for everybody (at $200, it's a bit steep for me) - but if you own and buy a lot of vinyl, this thing is like a miracle.

Man, I havent cleaned an album of mine with a brush in years................never have I used that vinyl cleaner stuff...............and I must say, they still sound great. I have albums that I bought almost 30 years ago that are in almost mint condition. Some simple rules-Use the turntable cover (and keep it down when not in use), clean the stylus and dont leave the record laying around. Its a rare day when I get a skip. Sometimes there is some snap, crackle and pop but it doesnt really detract from the listening experience.