NEw Shins Record

Hey all,

So I'm just not getting my first listen to the new Shins record, and I have to say I'm impressed. The music part of the band has seemed to mature some, while still clinging to James Mercer's off-beat songwriting. This record seems deeper than the last one, that there is something lurking just below surface. When they first came on to the scene I was a little cold on them, but after their last offering, and now this one, I think they're going to be a band to watch.

By the way, anyone think that some tracks are homage to the Flaming Lips as far as the music goes? I do...

"... just gimme your hand and let's jump out the windoooow !!!!

la la la la

la la la la

la la la la ... "

:blush (I just love these la la la la's)

This song is testament to James Mercer's vocal range and perfect pitch. It sounded really great live, too. A fun song, my favorite as well. ;)

"... just gimme your hand and let's jump out the windoooow !!!!

la la la la

la la la la

la la la la ... "

:blush (I just love these la la la la's)

This song is testament to James Mercer's vocal range and perfect pitch. It sounded really great live, too. A fun song, my favorite as well. ;)

You

Conspicuously missing from your anticipated 2007 new releases list: :brow

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

You got some 'splainin to do! :nono

I think he only listed the already leaked albums, to show that saying the Shins album is best so far has a meaning even at this early stage (given the amount of leaked albums). That was a long sentence :brow

australia is amazing. i said it in my review of their show last night and i'll say it again - australia, phantom limb, turn on me & girl sailor will be among the most satisfying indie pop songs of 2007.

the only song i truly don't care for is black wave. even sea legs has grown on me a lot.

Split Needles

partly because i am tipsy, and partly because i think i am funny, here is an excerpt of my blog of last night's Shins show:

One last' date=' pretty insignificant thing I have to say about The Shins and their new album is this: did you know that song #9 is actually called Spilt Needles, and not Split Needles? It took me quite some time to realize this. It was always "Split" on my iPod... both my, um, downloaded copy of the album, and the version on the Phantom Limb single (which I bought from Sub Pop!!!!!) I saw the song title on the web and blogs everywhere, always registering as "Split". I don't know if my brain was playing tricks on me, or if everytime I saw the song title it truly was spelled "Split", but the first time I was consciously aware of the "Spilt" spelling was when I read the record review on Pitchfork. I honestly thought that Pitchfork was guilty of a typo, which amused me greatly. However, soon afterward I received my copy of Wincing on vinyl from Sub Pop. As I unwrapped it and cradled it in my arms I noticed song #9... It really is Spilt Needles. Huh.[/quote']