Male. I'm guessing citing Charles Dickens helped my male score. A lot. Was mine the only sample larger than 500 words, or do I just write exceedingly manly?

A Tale of Two Cities is a novel that employs a plethora of literary devices to shed light upon Charles Dickens’ intent. Dickens wishes to portray the life and times of the French Revolution – both in France itself and its neighbor, England, through all its contrasts, similarities, and everything in between – to make his argument about the state of England, the state of France, and the state of humanity itself. He believes that England is in fine shape, France in a decrepit state, and that humanity is gone, but not lost. In his quest to do so, Dickens relies on juxtaposition and imagery in the opening passage of the novel to show that the many characters in the novel develop enough to let the reader in upon the novel’s meaning.

Dickens uses many contrasts to illustrate the time in which the story takes place. According to Dickens, it was “the best of times…the worst of times…the age of wisdom…[and] the age of foolishness” (Dickens 1). He uses the positive descriptors to describe England, where all seems well, a place that exists in relative happiness, if not in true happiness. He uses the negative descriptors, however, to describe France, where a Revolution that claimed many lives based on a fight for “liberty [and] equality” occurred (310). However, humanity would seem to be described by a combination of both countries. By using these contrasting descriptors for each country, Dickens set the scene for what is to occur later by painting one of the two countries as a safe haven, and the other as a hellhole – both critical for the events that unfold later in the novel.

In addition, Dickens employs fairly dense imagery to aid in his juxtaposition. Dickens claimed that it was “the season of light…of Darkness…it was the spring of hope…winter of despair” (1). The uses of the opposite seasons and Light and Darkness make apparent the differences between France and England – thus ensuring that England represented all that was good, such as the Light, and spring, wheras France was considred as much less worthy, a time of Darkness and winter. The imagery goes to describe the states of England, France, and humanity (a combination of both nations) during those times. Therefore, Dickens uses this literary device to set the scene for what is to occur later in the novel.

Therefore, it can be easily inferred that the purpose of this passage is to set the scene for the later events in the novel. This passage characterizes the societies that the characters will exist in, through tranquility and turmoil. It allows the characters a space to evolve, but by explaining the times in abstract terms (through juxtaposition and imagery), it gives the flexibility for those characters to evolve as they may, such as Carton to do “a far, far better thing that [he does], than [he has] ever done,” the ability for Dr. Manette to try to save Darnay despite the conflict that he had with the Evr

I submitted a half-finished story I wrote last year and it said I was male. Boo!

When I submitted a piece of (crap) fiction, it correctly identified me as female. Anything else I've submitted was plucked from my online existence, so apparently I grow a penis in cyberspace.

...apparently I grow a penis in cyberspace.

You're lucky, I've lost mine.

I have the sudden urge to bitch about irrelevant bull shit, lost my ability to make rational and timely decisions, and have the sudden urge to make the life of men hell. Hmmm.

Joking, joking, joking...sort of. Women still suck though.