I'm surprised someone who loves wilco also loves __________

Oy! For the record, I just find it weird that Wilco fans are also Crowded House fans. The band themselves aren't particularly weird at all, at least not that I've ever noticed.

And by cultish, I just meant that compared to Crowded House's somewhat higher profile in countries where the queen graces the money, they seem to be regarded in some circles as a sort of a buried treasure in the US. They're very AOR/ubiquitous even here in Canada. No offense to anybody who really likes the band, but I think they're about as fun as a bland sandwich.

Everyone has their cross to bear - I was surprised the first time I heard them even mentioned on here - to me they were some new wave haircut band one hit wonder deal.

I think I have learned over the years everyone likes what they like and that is the way it is. I use to spend a lot time running down bands that others would champion. I don't really feel a need to do that anymore. At some point, I hope to be able to refrain when someone runs down some band I am into.

I mean, I could talk about the feelings I get from listening to The Grateful Dead - say Eyes of The World for instance, and someone here will say "I hate the Grateful Dead" and/or "Fucking hippies." etc.

So it just goes around and around.

One is either into it or not.

Amen. I don't think this thread is about running down music by other artists, just taking a look at how certain bands with a particular appeal can be seen as quite different from Wilco. On another music forum I frequent, enjoying anything that predates the '80s is seen as a surprise.

Amen. I don't think this thread is about running down music by other artists, just taking a look at how certain bands with a particular appeal can be seen as quite different from Wilco. On another music forum I frequent, enjoying anything that predates the '80s is seen as a surprise.

I suppose I was speaking of some of my bad habits there. Funny thing - I was in HS in the early 80s and I own hardly any music from that time - it just never spoke to me. There are some exceptions - U2 being one I can think of.

Amen. I don't think this thread is about running down music by other artists,

:yes

I think it's interesting how many ardent wilco fans seem to like another set of groups/artists (many of which, of course, were/are influences on or influenced by wilco...) and are turned off by others. Wasn't intended to be a "I hate _______" thread.

Also interesting when wilco fans admit their favorite commerically successful groups, by the same token.

Everyone has their cross to bear - I was surprised the first time I heard them even mentioned on here - to me they were some new wave haircut band one hit wonder deal.

I think I have learned over the years everyone likes what they like and that is the way it is. I use to spend a lot time running down bands that others would champion. I don't really feel a need to do that anymore. At some point, I hope to be able to refrain when someone runs down some band I am into.

I mean, I could talk about the feelings I get from listening to The Grateful Dead - say Eyes of The World for instance, and someone here will say "I hate the Grateful Dead" and/or "Fucking hippies." etc.

So it just goes around and around.

A-man, this is one of the best things I've seen posed on this board in a long time. I've been giving this some thought lately, too, and I too have been trying not to not spend my energy, as you put it, running down bands I don't like or defending those I do that get run down by others.

Ultimately, the appreciation of music is such a personal thing and so subjective, that arguments about who is good/sucky, while fun, are pretty meaningless. I'm old enough now to admit to myself that my music collection itself probably never won me many friends or got me laid (nor is it likely to, since my wife isn't into most of "my music"), or any of those ideas I probably had in high school, so when you remove from the equation the idea of worrying about who you're impressing, its a pretty liberating thing. There aren't too many records (even among the "classics") that I feel compelled to like, even when I don't, just because everyone else claims to, and likewise I'm a lot less likely to cut down somebody for their tastes, as well. Some of my most "pure" music-enjoyment moments are are maybe not things I'd readily admit to here for fear of being burned at the the stake, but that's kind of the point. I've found that I enjoy music the least when I spend too much attention trying to categorize and quantify it--asking myself "is it any good?" rather than "how does this make me feel?"

Wait.....so you like John Mayer? And girls? :brow

Next thing I know, you'll be posting a Jennifer Love Hewitt album in the NP.

There are only 2 things I like about Jennifer Love Hewitt, basically.

And yes, I am a fan of both John Mayer and girls. Girls more so, but the point still stands.

Two Grateful Dead songs have come up on my iPod today, and I didn't skip either one (although I bet you would have passed on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away"). Fucking hippies. :)

Two Grateful Dead songs have come up on my iPod today, and I didn't skip either one (although I bet you would have passed on "Let Me Sing Your Blues Away"). Fucking hippies. :)

Try listening to them in WAV or FLAC, Cal.

I got the Sunshine Daydream movie yesterday.