Sky Blue Sky - The Grower Thread

Listened to it twice. Liked it better the second time. Still not thrilled though which is really disappointing. Some things I don't like: Nels, Jeff's singing in a different range, songs sound similar. But I do love Wilco so I will listen to this a zillion times before I give my final opinion. Surprisingly I really like On and On and On, I never really liked that one, but here it sounds great.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SBS sounds like The Eagles, and that's not my scene. Even Tweedy's voice reminds me of Glenn Fry in spots. The Grateful Dead feel that the jam-solos seem to emulate is also not something

That's an insult to the Eagles and the Dead. This album is like 70's adult rock, but with ZERO melodies or worthwhile songs. It would be great if it had the top notch melodies of the Dead or the Eagles, but it doesn't even have that. At least the Eagles and Dead had their own unique sound and wrote epic tunes. It doesn't even really have a jam band element either. It's like the most dull adult 70's rock album one could possibly dream up.

I may be in the minority here - I frequently am - but I'm not big on the whole "grower" theory. Either something has an immediacy that does something for me, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, I don't feel obligated to subject myself to 40 listens or whatnot over a multi-week or even multi-year period. There's so much great music out there that I thoroughly enjoy, and I own a ton of it. I'm not a masochist. I played AGIB a few times after it came out, shelved it, and that's it. I like some of the songs, but mainly in their live incarnations. When I go back to the disc, my feeling is still the same ... Period. So I don't go back to it much.

I know, I know, people will say, "But if you let the music reveal itself to you through repeated listenings, it will flower like a --" You know what: just stop right there. I don't need to do that.

I just picked up Funhouse by The Stooges and Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin. Two completely different groups who I've never gotten into (especially LZ ... most overplayed band on the radio when I was growing up). Much to my surprise, I really dug 95% of these discs on the first listen. Many of the LZ songs were familiar from radio, but not really known well, and most of the other tracks were a revelation. Great stuff.

The Stooges CD isn't as classic, but it's still excellent (except for the last track, which is just noise). My point is, these CDs were new (to me, anyway), and, just like a lot of what I've acquired recently - some Coltrane, Bessie Smith, Kula Shaker, Kendra Smith, J.J. Johnson, etc etc - they will get some future play. If I buy something that doesn't cut it today, it's not going to cut it after I've subjected myself to it a million times.

For me, it has nothing to do with how old I was when I heard it OR when it was recorded, either. It has to do with how good it is.

I don't really post here..but given that Wilco have just 'released' a new album I thought I may as well..

So here's my contribution to the current SBS debate..

The album is a big disappointment, and anyone who wants to say otherwise is only lying to themselves...The excitement of the recent live shows and revamped lineup has been replaced by something totally sterile and lifeless..

No self respecting Wilco would've been wishing for an album of substandard versions of lonely 1, far far away and hummingbird etc..The bands superb musicianship can't even save the SBS tunes..There isn't any bite whatsoever to the album, no edge.

This is a definite downturn for Wilco..A shame to admit it, but it's true

And I gotta say that on this msgboard there is an element of the 'emperors new clothes' in the overall reaction to the album-why can't people admit that Wilco has made a bad album???

..all the previous Wilco albums were 'growers', but I never once thought 'I'm not really diggin this'..This album gets more disappointing by the listen...I would be embarassed to play this album to my friends..

I don't really post here..but given that Wilco have just 'released' a new album I thought I may as well..

The album is a big disappointment, and anyone who wants to say otherwise is only lying to themselves

Actually, you're only lying to yourself if you believe that your criteria for rating an album are the only valid ones. The making and enjoyment of music is a personal experience, and is different from one person to the next. One man's chicken shit is another man's chicken salad.

Guest Jules
I don't really post here...

The album is a big disappointment, and anyone who wants to say otherwise is only lying to themselves...

I honestly don't know what this means.

You can go back to not posting now.

The album is a big disappointment, and anyone who wants to say otherwise is only lying to themselves...The excitement of the recent live shows and revamped lineup has been replaced by something totally sterile and lifeless..

No self respecting Wilco would've been wishing for an album of substandard versions of lonely 1, far far away and hummingbird etc..The bands superb musicianship can't even save the SBS tunes..There isn't any bite whatsoever to the album, no edge.

This album gets more disappointing by the listen...I would be embarassed to play this album to my friends..

I so agree with you. After all those awesome live shows recently and Jeff's solo shows which were outstanding and we get this?!! I just can't believe they came out with this. What were they thinking?!!

Ok dudes, keepr rockin

The via chicago Stanlinists are shutting me down

'any criticism of Wilco results in a trip to a Gulag'

Whatever you want to believe, I guess

If you read my first impression of the album, you'll realize your "via chicago 'Stanlinists'" comment is a bit off the mark. There's a difference between criticizing Wilco (which I have done this week) and saying that anyone who likes the new album is lying to himself. Grow up.

Ok dudes, keepr rockin

The via chicago Stanlinists are shutting me down

'any criticism of Wilco results in a trip to a Gulag'

and anyone who wants to say otherwise is only lying to themselves

Pot Kettle Black.

No self respecting Wilco would've been wishing for an album of substandard versions of lonely 1, far far away and hummingbird etc.

No self respecting Wilco would've been wishing for an album of substandard versions of lonely 1, far far away and hummingbird etc.

:lol

No self respecting Wilco would've been wishing for an album of substandard versions of lonely 1, far far away and hummingbird etc..

Guest Jules

:lol

No self respecting Wilco would've been wishing for an album of substandard versions of lonely 1, far far away and hummingbird etc..

ditto

I don't understand the "growing" thing. Every other Wilco album from Being There to A Ghost Is Born (especially A Ghost Is Born) was a grower. Sky Blue Sky was the first Wilco album that I liked on first listen.

And I gotta say that on this msgboard there is an element of the 'emperors new clothes' in the overall reaction to the album-why can't people admit that Wilco has made a bad album???

..all the previous Wilco albums were 'growers', but I never once thought 'I'm not really diggin this'..This album gets more disappointing by the listen...I would be embarassed to play this album to my friends..

(Dumbest) Post of the day!

let's keep this thing civil. i really don't want to have to close this thing if at all possible. i'm not just interested in hearing your opinion on the album [good or bad], but also the actual reason why. it's interesting to me at least to see things from another perspective. anybody can throw tomatoes. bring some reasoning, or start your own thread. there's been some pretty enlightened comments so far and i don't want the axe-grinders scaring people off or sending this conversation down the toilet.

be nice.

Holy crap. This wins asshole post of the year. Thanks for telling me what I like and don't like. And even after all of your trying, I love the new disc AND I'm playing it for my friends. How about them Chinese Apples?