Sky Blue Sky - The Grower Thread

Im not impressed by this album at all. Its a bunch of good songs except for "shake it off" which is horrible in my opinion. Nothing really stands out. Im disappointed in it. I expected more with this reincarnation of Wilco in the studio. Yes they have made slow songs before but they have never made an entire album of slow songs and songs for that matter with lyrics that for the most part seem like nothing to me. "the Search" is an album that is alive and it is more of what i expected from Wilco. My one word review is: disappointing :hmm

that's an honest opinion.

nothing wrong with that.

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little disappointed myself. i still think it's an enjoyable listen, but it doesn't have any moments that give me goose bumps or make my hair stand on end. that, to me is the mark of a great album. those moments are becoming less and less for me with new music in general, not just wilco.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's IKEA? Oh crap I'll just google it. Can I really be a Wilco fan if I live in a house and drive a Ford? I'm guilty of the Starbucks thing though, I don't drink coffee but I do stop by there for an iced tea in the summer from time to time.

Thanks for posting that review, I almost forgot The Search was released today. I'll see if they have it on the counter at Starbucks on the way home. I picked up the new Shins album at Whole Foods last weekend so *fingers crossed*.

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't a little disappointed myself. i still think it's an enjoyable listen, but it doesn't have any moments that give me goose bumps or make my hair stand on end.

That's exactly how I feel, and that's why I'm not really into it. I listened to Sky Blue Sky this morning, and then A Ghost is Born on my way home from work, and it really hit me how amazing and beautiful AGIB is. There are so many moments on there (lyrical AND musical) that just inspire responses like, "wow...what does that mean?...interesting...whoa...beautiful!" For me, there just haven't been any moments like that on the new album. It's not a horrible record by any means, just very straightforward and kinda boring. :ermm

If we can see the progress of Wilco's albums, then I think we can see where this album is coming from- a very soulful, almost primitive response to the previous albums- the ones that were shrouded in puzzling complexity, where themes seemed hidden under cryptic messages and experimental sounds- but this album takes a much more straight forward approach to grasp at something that is so simple, he has to speak so straight foward to let you understand his emotional honesty.

If I remember correctly, when Jeff was being interviewed after AGIB about what to expect next, he said he was sick of being so cryptic and puzzling. And if you follow his stage banter, we can easily tell that Jeff is someone who is emotional and politically charged. We can tell, Jeff wants the audience to be able to understand him, about peace and unity, feelings, emotions, how we are all inherently the same beings who walk this earth looking for a friend. These things are whats on Jeff's mind, they are extremely important to him, and this album is Jeff's moral obligation to transcend these ideas lyrically and musically.

Jeff and all of Wilco have this intuitive talent to forumlate and transcend these greater, bigger ideas into art form. The album is not trying to be anything other than what it is, and thats the truth. Peace and unity are not hard concepts to understand superficially, but deep down inside, it takes an emotional charge to grasp these ideas- a charge sparked from the bullshit that has hit this world today. Jeff has a moral obligation, as do all of us, to take the initiative to tell people that peace is practical- being an idealist isnt something that is a waste of time, its a belief, a religion in people. He wants to share this with people so bad- Isnt this obvious in Comment when Jeff's inflection punched us in the heart: "Somebody please second my emotion!" Didn't anyone else cry with sympathy when Jeff or Charles Watt hit that last note? Man, I dont know about you guys, but there is everything about this guy and this album that really lets me understand that hope is not a useless word.

As far as seeing this in the album, I think its pretty clear of these ideas. Its that simplistic nature in people, the troubles we all share- this guy wants so bad to connect to us, that sometimes the only way to do this is to speak very simply, and from the heart. I feel like Jeff is under the assumption that, what speaks greatest to him- that simple, soulful, rock and roll that he has always known- is what can speak greatest to us. He wants to strip all the complicated feelings that our society has blinded us with, and get down to the true, intuitive feelings closest to nature. The melodies aren't complicated. The rhythms, for the most part, aren't anything that a 40 year old can't shake to. The lyrics don't make you wonder any Niethzsche bullshit.

Wilco went somewhere with this album, and I think a lot of us are looking way past it. Everything about this album is feeling and feelings. Wilco felt this record through and through. So to all you haters, this is a humble endeavor, to try and create change in our hearts, put them in the right place. And if it doesnt do that, well, I don't know if every claimed it would, but he's an idealist- someone who believes its better to try, than to not try at all.

I leave you with with a quote from David Berman:

I'm trying to get at something so simple

that I have to talk plainly

so the words don't disfigure it,

and if it turns out that what I say is untrue,

then at least let it be harmless

like a leaky boat in the reeds

that is bothering no one.

That's exactly how I feel, and that's why I'm not really into it. I listened to Sky Blue Sky this morning, and then A Ghost is Born on my way home from work, and it really hit me how amazing and beautiful AGIB is. There are so many moments on there (lyrical AND musical) that just inspire responses like, "wow...what does that mean?...interesting...whoa...beautiful!" For me, there just haven't been any moments like that on the new album. It's not a horrible record by any means, just very straightforward and kinda boring. :ermm

Why is it that albums get better after the next one comes out?

Is it possible for an album to be "boring" and "great"?

I just bought J.D. Souther's "You're Only Lonely" single off itunes. I like the song. It's simple. Nice melody. But would I put it up there with Neil Young's "Down By The River"? Hell no. Maybe it's a simple song, but I still like it a lot.

And I recently bought new albums by Islands and Menomena. Both of the albums are pretty amazing, and each have songs that are really incredible. But I can tell it was those bands' intent to have some sweeping, overly-dramatic songs.

I don't get that impression with Sky Blue Sky. Wilco seem to be aiming for something different. Maybe that's not a good thing for some.

Maybe it won't be liked as much as Being There or Summerteeth or AGIB.

But, personally, I'm glad they made it. It's different. It's classy.

i listened to some of agib on my way home from work too. after hearing two more songs from sbs i wanted to do a little comparison and right now, agib is way ahead of the current record in terms of hooks, melody and better overall songs. nel's guitar is amazing but jeff was no slouch on agib. there's definately more immediate satisfaction with agib.

still, i'm a long way off from writing of sbs. it's only been a day now. and what's the rush?

i'm sure when the next record comes out, sbs will be held in much higher regard. (just kidding)

i'm starting to think this is more of a mood record and maybe i'm just not it the mood yet. we'll see.

i still think it's an enjoyable listen, but it doesn't have any moments that give me goose bumps or make my hair stand on end. that, to me is the mark of a great album. those moments are becoming less and less for me with new music in general, not just wilco.

I know what you're talking about, and I sometimes wonder if it's the music being made now or just the fact that no music can ever sound as good as it does when you're a kid, and the good music seems so, well, important. Perhaps as we get older and jaded it's just impossible for music to ever sound that good again -- or to be that important. Wow, that's a depressing thought.

Anyway, as an example, when I was 19, and "Being There" came out, it felt so vital and important to me in a way that I wonder if that exact same album if released today could have that same impact on me now over ten years later. I honestly couldn't tell you if 19-year-old me would have felt that same way about "Sky Blue Sky." Perhaps. 29-year-old me, though, really enjoys it, but not with that same fervor of which only a younger man is capable.

I know what you're talking about, and I sometimes wonder if it's the music being made now or just the fact that no music can ever sound as good as it does when you're a kid, and the good music seems so, well, important. Perhaps as we get older and jaded it's just impossible for music to ever sound that good again -- or to be that important. Wow, that's a depressing thought.

Anyway, as an example, when I was 19, and "Being There" came out, it felt so vital and important to me in a way that I wonder if that exact same album if released today could have that same impact on me now over ten years later. I honestly couldn't tell you if 19-year-old me would have felt that same way about "Sky Blue Sky." Perhaps. 29-year-old me, though, really enjoys it, but not with that same fervor of which only a younger man is capable.

I would be completely different person if "Being There" camme out when I was 18........

-Robert.

Why is it that albums get better after the next one comes out?
i'm sure when the next record comes out, sbs will be held in much higher regard. (just kidding)

:lol No, I've loved A Ghost is Born since it came out...the new record just reminded me how much.

This very topic has been the subject of the majority of my thoughts in the past few days. I've realized that when you are younger you need something to get completely wrapped up in, and it takes different forms for everyone. For me, it is music, and at this particular point in my life, the music of Wilco. I think as you get older, and you realize you have more responsibilites, and you have a real life staring you in the face, it is harder to let yourself fall completely in love with a band or even an album. There is so much more out there to worry about, that music starts to feel trivial. But I think the key to staying young to is to never let yourself forget that you can escape from the frightening things in life and just dive whole heartedly into something, even if just for a moment.

So here's to hoping we can all stay young, at least in our minds :cheers

You might be right. I dunno. All I can say is that I'm 32, and music has never meant more to me than it does right now.

I'm with Beltmann. Music is more important to me now than ever. Sometimes I don't know how I'd get through moments without it. And I feel like I appreciate it -- really appreciate it -- on such a different level than I ever could have as an 18 year old.

Not that music wasn't the most important thing in my world then either. But music now speaks to things that I can't put words to. It makes the world smaller for me. It makes connections for me. Internally, I mean. It hits nerves that I never knew I had. Or maybe only knew I had subconsciously. It reminds me of times, and places, and makes me realize that there can be amazing religious moments of perfection.

I didnt get that when I was 18.

I think as you get older, and you realize you have more responsibilites, and you have a real life staring you in the face, it is harder to let yourself fall completely in love with a band or even an album.

For me, the opposite was true: As I got older, I became more active in my search for art that had personal meaning for me. When I was 16, I was perfectly content with whatever the radio was giving me. But as life became more complex, so too did my desire to connect with more resonant music.

Great post, though. You hit the nail on the head: Diving into something like music--or movies or books or whatever--does provide a kind of refuge. Over the last few years especially, I can tell you that I'm endlessly thankful for being able to love a band as much as I love Wilco.

Not that music wasn't the most important thing in my world then either. But music now speaks to things that I can't put words to. It makes the world smaller for me. It makes connections for me. Internally, I mean. It hits nerves that I never knew I had. Or maybe only knew I had subconsciously. It reminds me of times, and places, and makes me realize that there can be amazing religious moments of perfection.

I get that all the time now. I feel like music takes the place religion should have in my life, by giving me momentary glimpses of something better. I've always felt like religion does nothing for me, but I think you need those transendent moments in your life, no matter how you get them.

I think SBS is an album of summer festival rock songs. When I listen to it, I feel like I'm at a Wilco show on a hot night smelling the beer, festival food and pot smoke wafting by. It may be that I got used to these songs listening to the live versions and (my first time hearing some of the songs (Impossible Germany, Walken, What Light) was at festivals.) I can't really articulate it but these songs float by the same way. They grab you and carry you through the night air. It is so cold today, but this album is August.

I think this is a great way to look at it!