What does Wilcoworld think of Blueridge J45 copy?

Chinese made guitar that looks except for the peghead just like a J45. Got the punchy J45 sound to my ears. Seemed very well built. Can be bought for about $400, but is it sacreligious?

Having never heard the Blueridge I couldn't tell you for sure, but you might want to make sure first off that the composition of the wood is the same, that could make a huge difference in sound.

That said, if it sounds good to you, it might be worth saving the money, but as a general rule, Chinese made guitars are way more spotty in terms of sound/workmanship/the whole deal, maybe you'll find a winner, and save yourself a bundle, maybe it'll break in a year, or you'll play it later and feel like you would've been better served getting the J45. It's hard to say.

Given the choice, I'd save up the extra cash.

I recently read one of those "acoustic guitar roundup" articles in a back issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine, in which they review a bunch of guitars in the under $500 price range. They said they were kind of shocked because the top on the Blueridge behind the bridge had sunk, but they said it sounded fantastic and gave it a positive overall review. I'm not sure if it was the J45 that they were reviewing, or some other model.

If it sounds good, feels good in your hands and seems solidly built I say go for it.

if it's that good of a copy, gibson will sue (as they sued all the japanese makers in the late 70s).

Good point, they certainly could sue. There are many misconceptions about what folks call "lawsuit" Gibson copies, especially on eBay. The only successful litigation was with regard to the headstock, you know, the open book profile on top of Les Paul's, 335's, etc. Specifically, it was against Ibanez. After the lawsuit Ibanez couldn't import guitars with that headstock shape into the US. So often I see Les Paul copies on eBay where the seller claims that the guitar is rare because of Gibson lawsuits. Not true, especially if it has a different headstock. It's more likely that the guitar is rare because its of inferior quality, reducing market demand. In these cases "rare" does not equal valuable.

To further prove the point, look at the lawsuit Gibson brought against PRS Guitars. Although they won an initial judgement against the PRS Singlecut (claiming that consumers would confuse it with a Les Paul), it was overturned on appeal. PRS Singlecuts are back on the market. As consumers, we win because PRS makes great guitars (I have no dog in this race, I own Gibsons and PRS's).

I know the original post is about the J45 copy, but I always crack up when folks say Gibson shut down other makers of Les Paul copies, as if Gibson came up with the single cut solidbody design. Paul Bigsby may have something to say about that!

• 2 months later...

I own a Blueridge acoustic guitar - the price was right, way more in my purchase range for $1200 (here in Australian pesos) than the $2500+ it would cost me to purchase a Martin, Guild, Gibson or Taylor. Obviously, they have to be shipped a fair distance! But for mine, the Blueridge is one of the nicest sounding guitars I've ever owned (and I've owned a few). Sounds better than the only Gibson I ever owned for sure. I considered buying the J45-alike model but the one that won me in the end was the D-28-looking model. Very happy with it, acoustically and running through a DI, sounds sweet and mid-rangey without the woody clang of a Gibson (don't get me wrong - I LOVE Gibsons, but really, I just can't afford 'em) but just as well-rounded a guitar. There are no problems that I can see with its construction and for a Chinese-built instrument, it takes some beating. Pretty solid craftmanship, nice herringbone inlays, beautiful paua (abalone) shell inlays on neck and headstock. In short, a very affordable and classy instrument that catches many an eye and has impressed several recording engineers of my acquaintance with it's tone. I'd say, buy one!

If you are in chicago they have a bunch of blueridge guitars to try out at the different strummer store in the Old Town School of folk music. Just messing around in the store, I have found these guitars to be pretty solidly made for their price. I would compare them to a yamaha in quality, they are all made in china, but are nice instruments.

Also, I'd suggest to check out the Epiphone j-45 copy, I think it's called a AJ-500 or something, The coloring is different, but they have the 45's rounded shoulder, sounds nice. Epi's lately have been pretty sweet for that price range.

If you want to spend a little more, I have a larrivee d-03 that I love to death.

let's not forget the temporary win gibson got against the PRS single cut being a LP clone. (!)

remember that the average factory worker in china gets $40 a month. it's a slave wage. you can get a carvin american made custom guitar for a little bit more, and they're great guitars.

let's not forget the temporary win gibson got against the PRS single cut being a LP clone. (!)

Let's also not forget that (quote from Harmony Central): "The Sixth Circuit ruled that an injunction should never have been issued by the lower court. The court observed that Gibson conceded that only "an idiot" would ever confuse a PRS Singlecut